Vacuum T-Case to Manual Shift - Interested in a kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
Curious how many of you have gone down the road of converting a vacuum 2WD-4WD t-case to manual shift, either in an original vacuum shift vehicle OR using a t-case from a vacuum shift in a manual setup. We have some neat new t-case/tc parts offerings in the works and want to know if there is value in us selling/shipping a pre-made kit for doing the conversion. It won't however come with the linkage outside of the t-case, just the t-case components. Thoughts?

Conversion parts for reference

IMG_0012.JPG

Do the vacuum diaphragms ever go bad?

I know folks like doing this conversion, but I have never seen the value of it since the diaphragms are readily available and they never seem to go bad.

The vacuum solenoid can be sourced using old pick up 12V iterations so the work around for that is still good too if they do go bad.

My. 02

I know folks like doing this conversion, but I have never seen the value of it since the diaphragms are readily available and they never seem to go bad.

The vacuum solenoid can be sourced using old pick up 12V iterations so the work around for that is still good too if they do go bad.

My. 02

I certainly don't disagree, I have several vacuum operated Land Cruisers and they work just fine. I think for many (most) the utility is in the ability to buy a later model t-case that has vacuum and convert it for manual use in an FJ40, etc.

Ironically we started this project working on a manual to vacuum conversion setup and thus we'll have quite a few manual split t-case parts to build kits with :D

I, for one, am not a fan of vacuum-operated anything. I would certainly entertain some sort of complete kit to convert my BJ74 to a mechanical shift.

My. 02

This is pretty much exactly what I say when a customer asks me about the vac shift cases.

That said, choice is awesome! I'd definitely stock a couple of these to offer as an add-on. Make the kit!

My. 02

Not that I know of. I think they are a good reliable system. Sometimes they get a leak in the hoses or occasionally a solenoid burns out, but you just swap hoses with the good side to get home.
The other thing I like about the vacuum shift is you can change into 4wd at a higher speed.
But some just like a purely mechanical shift.

Would be an awesome option. Something about a lever that's just better.

What would a kit cost?

So dollar wise it would be roughly $150. Is that still appetizing? That would include everything shown in pic #1, all Genuine Toyota and or OE (NOK Seal for example). And the 15x1.5mm tap that is needed to put the detent setup in. We could offer those too? Then again Amazon is easy :D

Kurt I assume the shift pattern would then become the "L" with low4 back and to the right? As you know with RHD the transfer lever is quite close to the driver's left leg. We do not have an early RHD 7x in the museum with a manual-shift transfer. Do you know if the new pattern would move the lever further to the right? That may create an uncomfortable driving position in low range.

So how long does it ake to convert from vacuum to manual ? Do I need to tear off my transfercase ?

I've never done them ON the vehicle but no reason it can't be done. The case does need to be split in order to install the shift mechanism so plan accordingly with seals, gaskets and/or the appropriate rebuild kit (yeah, we stock that :D)

Kurt I assume the shift pattern would then become the "L" with low4 back and to the right? As you know with RHD the transfer lever is quite close to the driver's left leg. We do not have an early RHD 7x in the museum with a manual-shift transfer. Do you know if the new pattern would move the lever further to the right? That may create an uncomfortable driving position in low range.

That is a great question on a RHD 7x. I'll have to look into that. My 74 is vacuum 4WD so it may get converted along with an H55F (did I mention those to you the other day?)

So dollar wise it would be roughly $150. Is that still appetizing? That would include everything shown in pic #1, all Genuine Toyota and or OE (NOK Seal for example). And the 15x1.5mm tap that is needed to put the detent setup in. We could offer those too? Then again Amazon is easy :D

Almost all the 1HZ H55 combos I bring have a vacuum shift case and it seems that 90 % of my customers would prefer full mecanical shift, pretty sure there is a market for this.

I prefer the vacuum because it is easier and faster to push the button then shift the lever.

Almost all the 1HZ H55 combos I bring have a vacuum shift case and it seems that 90 % of my customers would prefer full mecanical shift, pretty sure there is a market for this.

I prefer the vacuum because it is easier and faster to push the button then shift the lever.

Your on my list to email in the next day or two. I have something along these lines I think you may have a great market for!

That is a great question on a RHD 7x. I'll have to look into that. My 74 is vacuum 4WD so it may get converted along with an H55F (did I mention those to you the other day?)

No you did not mention that. Nor did you drop off the promised business cards....:doh:

Of couse I forgot to ask you if you remembered them before you departed.:)

No you did not mention that. Nor did you drop off the promised business cards....:doh:

Of couse I forgot to ask you if you remembered them before you departed.:)

Ah dang. I had a small stack. I'll resolve that :D

Great idea. Ideal application is into 40 series chassis as the vacuum UFO is too wide and you need to notch the frame, of be cool with mininal clearance. Plus its fewer switches etc to buy.

I did it in my old 1hz h55f 40, very easy, and even easier if you're all the way in there doing bearings and seals. Just remember to put the shift lever in before you button it all up - ask me how i know.

What about a kit that includes the conversion bits, the tap and a twin stick kit? or are twin sticks not cool anymore?

Great idea. Ideal application is into 40 series chassis as the vacuum UFO is too wide and you need to notch the frame, of be cool with mininal clearance. Plus its fewer switches etc to buy.

I did it in my old 1hz h55f 40, very easy, and even easier if you're all the way in there doing bearings and seals. Just remember to put the shift lever in before you button it all up - ask me how i know.

What about a kit that includes the conversion bits, the tap and a twin stick kit? or are twin sticks not cool anymore?

That is certainly an option. I've not sold one of the AA Twin-Stick kits in ages and it does require use of a different shift shaft (which means the kit price comes way down too. Great input!

@cruiseroutfit what's the status of this? I just posted a thread asking if it were possible to convert my vacuum shift 1990 HZJ73 to fully manual. (didn't search well enough I guess) Some questions though,

1. Does it matter if mine's an auto trans?

2. Would this allow the use of the AA FJ60/62 twin stick kit? (is this what you're referring to above?)

Anyway, I will gladly pay the $150 or whatever it ends up to eliminate my push button. Mine doesn't always engage as soon as I want and i've gotten stuck on flat ice at my mailboxes a few times.

I'm super seriously interested

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom