What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But are you a lesbian?? :flipoff2:

Do yourself a favor and check out the new RDX. Plan on picking one up towards the end of the year. It's really freaking nice and handles like a sports car. Acura did everything right with this new platform.

feSlvwXh.jpg

Zm5LRZg.jpg
My ex-wife is an engineer for Honda and is/was the chief of the team responsible for the whole dash in this.

Before heading to the mountains in a month I needed to shake things out and see what's working and not working. Family member took me to some trails that got really narly and gave me a good perspective on what to fix next. Learned several things:

1. Geolanders are terrible in the mud
2. Finally need to break down and do the birf's
3. Lockers work!
4. Push the antenna down before going down trails. Thankfully the PO already broke it so I don't feel too bad.
5. It's possible to get mud splattered on your rear view mirror...I'm not sure how, but i'm guessing it has something to do with why they made the interior the same color as mud.

I've been fighting a vacuum leak for the last couple of weeks - ever since doing a HG. I finally found it and got it fixed, that took care of my sluggishness on take-off when cold. I also adjusted the kick-down cable. Holy crud, fractions of a millimeter adjusted and what a difference in driving!

Only thing left now is to get the CC working. Then I can move onto the mod's again.

I've been fighting a vacuum leak for the last couple of weeks - ever since doing a HG. I finally found it and got it fixed, that took care of my sluggishness on take-off when cold. I also adjusted the kick-down cable. Holy crud, fractions of a millimeter adjusted and what a difference in driving!

Only thing left now is to get the CC working. Then I can move onto the mod's again.

Did you break your Credit Card?

You NEED that for the mods!

Is this the daughter you went to Iceland with? Or is that your younger daughter?

These trips are so freaking cool. I can’t wait to take another trip. Just bouncing around in the 80. Seeing where the wind takes us.

Glad you got to spend the time with her.

Iceland was with my younger daughter! Yes I love the trips as well. Hoping the younger daughter will want to do the same thing in two (maybe 3) years when she graduates.

Me too with my eldest daughter! I will be doing the same thing except the endpoint is Ithaca NY, she will be keeping the Prius (not the 80) and I will be flying back to LAX.

What route did you take from California to Mass? Did you happen to pass through Utah?

The route out was the straight interstate 80/90 blast. Stopped in Elko, NV, Salt Lake City, UT (had nice dinner and relaxed for much of the day), Lincoln, NE, Detroit, MI, Syracuse, NY, and Boston, MA.

You will have a great time - is this for first drop off?

Looking at that dash I am glad she is your ex now.
Yeah, we weren't married for long. She didn't really like the 80 that much anyway. She did however make about twice as much as I did.....oh well, I'm still better off now.

Edit: to her credit, she wasn't really so much part of the artsy design side of it...more of the technical make everything fit together part...

Did you break your Credit Card?

You NEED that for the mods!
No kidding! I've been piece-meal buying bits for a while.

About ready to get going on the fuel sub-tank again. It's all sitting in parts in my garage.

The route out was the straight interstate 80/90 blast. Stopped in Elko, NV, Salt Lake City, UT (had nice dinner and relaxed for much of the day), Lincoln, NE, Detroit, MI, Syracuse, NY, and Boston, MA.

You will have a great time - is this for first drop off?

Thanks!
For us SoCal'rs, 15 and 70 will be the core routes with some deviations.

Nope, not the first drop off.
I have done the moving in dorm thing the last 2 years and gotten comfortable eating at the Shake Shack at JFK. She is renting an apartment for the next two and wanted her own car to travel to conferences in the Tri State area. The Prius should serve her well after she graduates - its a Toyota!

Good luck to your kids!

hey buddy, fwiw the 27M fit fine. A good bit more AH than a 34.View attachment 1721319View attachment 1721320

Thanks! Yeah I just picked up an Interstate 27 deep cycle blem for 80 bucks yesterday. Interstate for some reason doesn't make an AGM 27 and my starting battery is already regular lead acid so I figured I would just save a couple of bucks and stick with regular batteries.

On that note, last night i bolted my twin compressor to Wits'end rear quarter panel, also bolted on the inverter. Ordered some cables from amazon so I just MIGHT finish up up dual battery, solar and rear quarter panel over haul project this weekend!

Last edited:
Does anyone make a full on kit for a double battery or does everyone just piece it out and buy individually? Looks nice

I wouldn’t say there’s a FULL kit for a dual battery setup, no. Relocating the washer reservoir with the Slee kit or diy, buy or find a 91-92 RH battery tray, then there are all sorts of wiring kits and setups. I bought the washer relocator and battery tray from Slee then made my own cables and used all Blue Sea parts for my setup. Has worked great.

I wouldn’t say there’s a FULL kit for a dual battery setup, no. Relocating the washer reservoir with the Slee kit or diy, buy or find a 91-92 RH battery tray, then there are all sorts of wiring kits and setups. I bought the washer relocator and battery tray from Slee then made my own cables and used all Blue Sea parts for my setup. Has worked great.

My setup is Slee relocation kit, OEM 91-92 battery tray(slee has that too), Ctek dual battery/solar charger/controller, marine grade power cables from amazon.

Everyone is a little different but maybe if enough people bug @NLXTACY he might make a turn key kit that would work for most people.

Last edited:
It’s just a time thing and I’ve got little :(

After reading through here, I actually went to your site to see if you had a kit or the parts to build a kit.

You're kinda the go-to guy for stuff, ya know.

For clarification: that is a modified 40 Series. That is NOT an “FJ”. You’re likely to get throat punched by a 40 owner if you call their rig a “FJ”.

For the record: this is an “FJ”. And “FJs” are lame. They also are not Land Cruisers.

View attachment 1720520
Why all of the hate on the fj cruiser. I've never understood it. They are great vehicles and very capable vehicles from the factory. I've owned multiple 40s, fjcs and an 80. I love them all. And I have never been offended when anyone referred to my 40 as an fj. In fact I only got a little irritated when 99% of people refer to it as a sweet Jeep. Similar to when people refer to my 80 as a nice 4 runner. And every 40 owner i have ever met referred to my 40 as an fj. It was actually very rare for anyone to comment on my "40 series".

Easy peasy....
20180612_170648.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom