Suspension Options for Daily Driver w/ Recreational Potential? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That hold true for any 17" wheels or does offset play into the equation as well?
front what i understand as far as 17"s go Rock warrior is the only option with correct offset. If you cant find a set your 2nd best option is keeping the stock 18" wheels and just upgrading tires to larger A/T tires. If there is any way you can avoid it, i would not put any other wheels than these 2 options.

front what i understand as far as 17"s go Rock warrior is the only option with correct offset. If you cant find a set your 2nd best option is keeping the stock 18" wheels and just upgrading tires to larger A/T tires. If there is any way you can avoid it, i would not put any other wheels than these 2 options.

I would love a set of RWs based on the feedback here and I also like the way they look, but finding them is like hunting unicorns.

That hold true for any 17" wheels or does offset play into the equation as well?

Offset certainly comes into consideration. RWs are +50 offset, stock is +60. You might be able to change the offset further without major issues but YMMV.

I have +25 offset and 34" tires and (aside from some plastic trimming) I get a very very slight rub on the KDSS arm on the driver's side and a bit of an annoying scrub on the sway bar on the passenger's side when turning left at full lock.

+50 offset is about optimal scrub radius for a 33" tire. I believe around +40 is optimal for a 35" tire (which wont fit without lots of work). My +25 doesn't contact the body but does rub the aforementioned arms and requires mudflap removal. It also changes the handling characteristics a bit under heavy acceleration or braking (on acceleration you get more toe-out and the steering will squirm just a bit, and on braking you get more toe-in and less responsive steering).

I would love a set of RWs based on the feedback here and I also like the way they look, but finding them is like hunting unicorns.
I do find them more often than i find unicorn's....but not by much. It really all depends on what you are willing to pay. My hunt has always been in the $600-$800 Craiglist range. In that range they come up not very often, and they sell within hours usually. If money is not as much of an object, they are regularly on Ebay in the $1200-$2000 range. Hard to say if its worth it to pay that much. One choice i really do like for aftermarket, that i have seen a few used on 200's is these:

17" 'SIX SPEED' Wheel, Gunmetal Finish

Offset is 25mm though, the issues that @linuxgod mentioned above would be what youd have to deal with. Really no ideal option outside of Rock warrior or stock wheels.

GJOEX17VehiclesBryonDorr-8.jpg

Just a note to the OP if your intent is to tow. While 17” wheels are great, and maximizes sidewall for airing down… an ideal towing setup calls for somewhat different priorities. Depending on the size of trailer you’re towing, this may or may not be as significant of a factor. Notably, stiffer and less compliant sidewalls, to maximize lateral stability, i.e. resistance to sway, if you’re towing in the upper limits of the platform. Load range E tires goes towards satisfying this. Wheel size also increases lateral stability. As one that tows at the upper extremes of the platform, It is partly the reason I stuck with my LX570 20” wheels. I’m gaining sidewall running slightly taller than 33” tires already, but compensated for that with Load E tires. For an LC, I’d personally stick with an 18” wheel. IMO, there’s likely very very little differentiation between a 17 to 18” in terms of going places, but an 18” will give you an edge in stability if you’re going to a much larger diameter tire which has comparably lots of sidewall and lateral flex. Also note that AT tires, having larger lugs, also introduce more squirm and stability compromises over an equivalent highway tire, which is why I went with 305 cross section tires.

Ugh...the choices/decisions. I have a couple of leads on some RWs, but they are a little scratched. I can have them polished out and PowderCoated, but I am looking at well over $500 to do that on top of the $800+ the set of 4 will cost me. That makes the RWs about the same price as the Evo mentioned above and also more expensive than the Icons.

Ugh...the choices/decisions. I have a couple of leads on some RWs, but they are a little scratched. I can have them polished out and PowderCoated, but I am looking at well over $500 to do that on top of the $800+ the set of 4 will cost me. That makes the RWs about the same price as the Evo mentioned above and also more expensive than the Icons.

Just a quick thought in case not considered...

Does that $800 set include the RW lugs? Your stock lugs will not work...so you’ll need them. If not included...they are not cheap.

I bought my set of rock warriors used with minor scratches. I scuffed, primed and painted them with duplicolor products. They have held up quite well so far . I can always touch them up, as needed.

Just a quick thought in case not considered...

Does that $800 set include the RW lugs? Your stock lugs will not work...so you’ll need them. If not included...they are not cheap.
Good point on the lugs. My set did not come with you he correct lug set and that was a bit of sticker shock wh n I went to get them. I think it was about $180 I spent on lugs plus because I didn’t have one, I spent another $200 on a proper torque wrench to be able to get the spec’d 97ft lb or torque on the lugs. Suddenly my $600 wheels were closed to $1000 all in

You see one reason why I went with the Icons. $1095 for 5 delivered, suitable lug nuts included. I sold my factory wheels for $500 so i was oly our $600. (Another reason is I also wanted the wider track width).

But as with anything the compromise is marginally different handling and marginally more work to fit without rubbing since the lower offset results in a slightly wider sweep (really just minor “reshaping” behind the mud flap - YMMV with 33” tires)

Anyone know if someone runs those Evo Corse Darak Zero wheels? I talked to the reseller (Main Line Overland) and they said the logo on the wheels is a vinyl decal and easily removable via heat gun; specs are:
Size: 17x8
Bolt Pattern: 5x150
Offset: 40
Load Rating: #3000+
Lugs: $60 to cover a set of 4 wheels

Seems like this is a good option, but curious if anyone thinks I can get away with these and BFG KO2s at 285/70/17 without any rubbing (and without trimming). The Tire/Wheel Database doesn't have this particular setup, nor does it have any wheels listed with 40mm offset. It does show on line/row 36 (as of Thursday, 13 June 2018) that the RWs (50mm offset) run fine with 285/70/17, but I am not sure what that extra 10mm of offset introduces.

Last edited:
Anyone know if someone runs those Evo Corse Darak Zero wheels? I talked to the reseller (Main Line Overland) and they said the logo on the wheels is a vinyl decal and easily removable via heat gun; specs are:

Seems like this is a good option, but curious if anyone thinks I can get away with these and BFG KO2s at 285/70/17 without any rubbing (and without trimming). The Tire/Wheel Database doesn't have this particular setup, nor does it have any wheels listed with 40mm offset. It does show on line/row 36 (as of Thursday, 13 June 2018) that the RWs (50mm offset) run fine with 285/70/17, but I am not sure what that extra 10mm of offset introduces.

One question you’ll need to answer is whether your 2018 brakes will fit into those (or any other 17” wheel other than Rock Warriors).

One question you’ll need to answer is whether your 2018 brakes will fit into those (or any other 17” wheel other than Rock Warriors).

Just "spoke" to them via FaceBook Messenger:

Me: "In reference to the 17" Evo Corse Dakar Zero wheels for a 2018 Land Cruiser, do the stock brakes (disk/caliper/etc) fit or will modifications/upgrades be needed there?"
Main Line Overland: "They do fit over the new larger caliper on the newer tundra's and and LC200's with out any modifications to the caliper."

I consider the RW wheels in a different category as the Corsas and Icons. RW’s are forged and they are hubcentic for Toyotas.

I consider the RW wheels in a different category as the Corsas and Icons. RW’s are forged and they are hubcentic for Toyotas.
I'd say my opinion is currently leaning towards this as well. Even if the rock warriors you find are scratched and require more $ to get powdercoated. If you spent $1300, either way, I'd much rather have a fresh powdercoated set of forged TRD Rock Warriors with the correct offset than i would have the Evo Corse Dakar. You might have to bite the bullet a bit, I'm just saying even if the end cost is as much a new aftermarket wheels the end product is just better for the 200 with Rock Warriors. Other benefit with powdercoating is you can do whatever color you want and they'll stand out over other 200's with rock warriors. here is a pic of mine, i went with all black and custom center cap stickers in red/black

LRG_DSC00590.JPG

Saw this on Instagram today as “coming soon”. Not details on offset but they look pretty

69356712-D41F-486B-BA9A-14810E58E527.png

Yeah...they told me "a couple weeks" when I talked with them yesterday, but they didn't provide any specifics

Not an exact match but I have 295's on RW with no rubbing I have noticed. Figure that would be equivalent to 285s but 45mm offset (10mm wider/2= projects 5mm more "inside")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom