What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (93 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Returned home from a 15 day road trip, of which 13 were spent in the FZJ80. Covered about 7,500 miles from California to Boston and back, spending one leg with my wife , one with my younger daughter and the bulk with my recent college grad!

Leaving Boston loaded to the top:
View attachment 1720736

Badlands:
View attachment 1720737

View attachment 1720738

Home with just some of the stuff we hauled back:
View attachment 1720735

An unbelievable experience.

Is this the daughter you went to Iceland with? Or is that your younger daughter?

These trips are so freaking cool. I can’t wait to take another trip. Just bouncing around in the 80. Seeing where the wind takes us.

Glad you got to spend the time with her.

Aetna Mountain. "New trail" at WeRock

IMG_20180602_212905_682.jpg

20180602_121841.jpg

20180602_152607.jpg

Shout out to the @NLXTACY Wits’ End Fire Extinguisher Mount FEM-1. Another fire put out.

Semi brake locked up on the interstate in front of me. She got pulled over to the side of the road and blasted it with one of my fire extinguishers. Handed it off to the driver while I grabbed a second. It took both of them to get it out. Didn’t have to use the third.

36D78162-BDE1-40D8-90FF-9BDFADB5D4AB.jpeg

Shout out to the @NLXTACY Wits’ End Fire Extinguisher Mount FEM-1. Another fire put out.

Semi brake locked up on the interstate in front of me. She got pulled over to the side of the road and blasted it with one of my fire extinguishers. Handed it off to the driver while I grabbed a second. It took both of them to get it out. Didn’t have to use the third.

View attachment 1721032

Awesome to hear! Not everything I make is stupid and pointless :flipoff2:

some of the best mods I have have your name on them. quarter panel, FEM etc. 3_F.E. is a good balance and 2 first aids kits.

some of the best mods I have have your name on them. quarter panel, FEM etc. 3_F.E. is a good balance and 2 first aids kits.

I need another First Aid kit. Small, more portable kit. The paramedic bag is great because it has so much stuff but much of it isn’t needed most of the time. Need to make a smaller one.

It isn’t cheap blowing off two fire extinguishers though...

I recently installed a Duracell Ultra Gold BCI Group 34 as my second battery. I don't think I'd go any bigger. View attachment 1719701

After some research group 34 seems to be the best/biggest I can put in the secondary tray. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
No pics of my boring ass wrenching... but this rainy weekend is perfect time for:

- finally found the time to install the rear elocker actuator (had it since winter). The one removed won't even turn with a vice, tried opening it and the bolts just disintegrated.
- Installed CDL switch followed by the 7-pin mod, i'm ready for some tight switchbacks!
- swapped out the calipers with NAPA reman. The fronts seem ok other than new pads but i went ahead and switched it out for peace of mind. I need working brakes i can trust!
- Tightened those radius arm bolts!

placed an order on Northstar X2 battery so i can reliably keep the fridge on 24x7. Dang that's pricey, i really hope it's worth it.

I need another First Aid kit. Small, more portable kit. The paramedic bag is great because it has so much stuff but much of it isn’t needed most of the time. Need to make a smaller one.

It isn’t cheap blowing off two fire extinguishers though...
Indeed I carry an AMP 3 outfitter and an amp 3 IFAK and my passenger seat F.E is halon so thats last resort.

I completed the "Trans New Hampshire Expedition" with Exploring NH last weekend. We did over 300 miles, starting at the Canadian border and ending at the sea coast along the Massachusetts border. I still need to go through all the pictures, but got a video from of friend of me playing a little on some rocks.

Its amazing how hard it is to capture the actual obstacle or rocks it always looks easy. amirite

I wheeled it hard for the first time in Ocala, FL. Florida is pretty limited on spots, but this place has some nice obstacles.

Please excuse my friends' goofy commentary.

Anyone else down here in Florida? hmu

You bought my buddy's 80. How was Hard Rock? Always a nice time over there.

Me too with my eldest daughter! I will be doing the same thing except the endpoint is Ithaca NY, she will be keeping the Prius (not the 80) and I will be flying back to LAX.

What route did you take from California to Mass? Did you happen to pass through Utah?

The time will pass before you know it. I did 2,500 miles in January with my younger daughter (she is going to be a junior in college) and it was a blast. My older suggested the road trip from college about 9 months ago and I knew I had to make it happen.

Enjoy every minute while they are young.

After some research group 34 seems to be the best/biggest I can put in the secondary tray. Thanks for the info!
hey buddy, fwiw the 27M fit fine. A good bit more AH than a 34.
85849318-D2CE-43FF-897B-AE8F1B92D5D4.jpeg
BC7DE984-9480-4DE9-8F33-DDE39F996E27.jpeg

Finished my door overhaul project. Installed sound deadener to the sheet metal, cleaned and greased the window and door latch parts. Door sounds and feels much more solid and the windows roll up and down with a lot less resistance. Also, all my doors can’t stay open, even on flat ground so I bought 1 Toyota door check to see if it would fix the problem. It’s $50 but made a huge difference. The door finally stays open again! May do the other 3 soon. Kids table came in handy for staging parts haha.
B84BDA18-8240-4DB9-A389-D42EEABCFE60.jpeg
7A6EAE52-BAA8-4EAC-8302-60D958208AE2.jpeg
C7FC0D3A-D25B-4B0F-B47C-6E896FE55E6D.jpeg

Finished my door overhaul project. Installed sound deadener to the sheet metal, cleaned and greased the window and door latch parts. Door sounds and feels much more solid and the windows roll up and down with a lot less resistance. Also, all my doors can’t stay open, even on flat ground so I bought 1 Toyota door check to see if it would fix the problem. It’s $50 but made a huge difference. The door finally stays open again! May do the other 3 soon. Kids table came in handy for staging parts haha.View attachment 1721322View attachment 1721321 View attachment 1721323
Need to do the door check, wish i wasnt so cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom