Long Overland Trip in a 2000 LX - Opinions Sought. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even though we aren't leaving for a month, we are about ready.
Box on the roof for a cheap borrowed tent, and some blankets just in case we don't make it to a hotel or VRBO for the night. We'll also keep the clothes up there. Compressor, first aid, some straps, chairs and cooler in the back.

HHuevAVR2NDx1C1nNrUAQ5hZsuuhiMqA6sAAWxLf_1s-6dMpz7GnPnK4Pm9XNpHMGoWr82SwxbTQHNRkrzSgjLefFMkdi1KMBQpPqUhK1IF8KQFoazIf4pk9c2V9617jYILHilYgHMCt7atYq0uenz1FH73-_uZmCzgTcCxAiwW_GwjNdg2PBQmvVHae5IXAZlhueJJWi_H3ey5klukTJmOL_nYpfOw3m2f5Dk631vrE9wNvBF_oNq5ooJRy0lGv8Ysv6lGevSInjYmxVFVY2dmlH7qfxYyre0CasgubfyxfHVb5BoXl8gYj6pJIJLG20m1dN6NROPPwWhAiqCfmPCoi4bzXA7X2fXCcQ8zIuS7N7KPyKQGc6ufI45oDo5hXSggNdhk5u8zk9jgHiaoGs84_oCrqT6PMSkltXDIlIGC-rT9eKkxSooZtrCYeYfZKKVVBG94yCuHva2YN9Bg5JiF8uRuq_B7pgLKuHJfkFWSabWNSd_42jB47KF7GmxIIhAduRTqgaTbZd9L3epJoEj6Xs1MAXn_10WkQ2kqqMnkGfsQ5NvHUXN__MZHUlmjW17IR6MVGbObJX72504xPQ0ePm361mSF45p4tkXhz=w1257-h942-no-tmp.jpg

with a block or two yeah, just lots of twisting :) Take a few 8" sections of 2x6

You might think twice about your stock roof rack. If that box gets loaded enough, that could get seriously annoying over rough roads. Stock racks are stout, but just something to consider.

Only reason I'm saying is I just got a gamiviti rack and am wondering why I didn't sooner...

What BillZ260 said.

Also may want to consider an axle tube top of jack thing-a-majig alignment gizmo as sold by landcruiser phil (member on here, an affordable accessory). Suspect it would allow wife/family to breath easier.....

I moved to AK 3 years ago in my 100 series (towed an RV up the ALCAN with 224k on it), recently drove back in a 200 towing the wife's 100 with 2 dogs & 4 cats, wife, and 7 year old daughter. Few suggestions to make the trip more livable:

Add a few 12v plugs to the backseat for the kids to charge devices. Something like this, I just tapped mine into the front cigarette lighter wiring: https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Cigar...TF8&qid=1526577407&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+outlet

Consider an awning, they run about 200 dollars and if you're camping or even stopping for lunch it is so nice to be able to get out of the sun/rain. ARB runs about 300 for the big one, you can get knock offs for around 200: https://www.amazon.com/ARB-4x4-Acce...TF8&qid=1526577450&sr=8-3&keywords=arb+awning If it's going to be windy get a pair of these to anchor it down: https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Screw...8&qid=1526577793&sr=8-4&keywords=orange+screw

Coolers work but after having my fridge (Dometic 40L) I could never go back to a cooler. Driving back from AK we had real snacks like cheese, yogurt, fruits/veggies, and never had to worry about ice or soggy stuff. The one linked has a battery protection circuit so it won't kill your battery, or you can turn it off if you go the dual battery route. Link to mine, they come in all sizes/flavors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G6M847/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the kids in the backseat, get some barf bags and make sure you're stocked up on dramamine/meclizine for motion sickness. Ask a pharmacist at any store, they'll show you where it is. Car sickness sucks and it sucks even more when you have to drive with the car smelling like barf.
Bags: https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Emesis-...F8&qid=1526577679&sr=8-5&keywords=emesis+bags
Medicine: https://www.amazon.com/Bonine-Motio...ie=UTF8&qid=1526577718&sr=1-4&keywords=bonine

Hope you have a great trip!

Last edited:
Thanks again for the advice. I think we are as ready as we're going to be. I made a couple more route tweaks to see things along the way. It looks like we'll have to watch out for fires more than snow at this point.

Sounds like ur going to load it up. Put in airbags on rear springs in case AHC fails to hold on to high with all the load. This is not going to get u stranded, but will slow u down. May be an issue at trails. Mine don't hv AHC, but even stock LC rear springs cannot carry much load (a lesson learned in hard way). More experienced may correct me if I'm wrong.

Just in case your ignition randomly fails on a remote trail here's a below link. I replaced the ignition rod in my driveway after it snapped a few years ago, but this is a handy link to have on your homescreen just in case you need a quick fix, courtesy of @ponytl. Other helpful links under FAQ section of the forum, including "suggested spare parts for the trail" under 100 Series Basics. Safe travels!

5 minute start if your toyota/lexus ignition switch breaks landcruiser lx470

I have one of these jacks. It raises up to almost 19" inches, which works to lift the LC easily if you jack up the axle.

Welcome to Sears.com

Isn't that sorta heavy, space consuming bulky, awkward and overkill? Considering the toyota jack works exceptionally well, stows exceptionally well and raises way up. Not to mention, even with that sears jack, you'd still need a @LandCruiserPhil style jack top, to actually safely use it.

A factory Toyota jack is the most versatile and reliable jack you can own. We now offer Jack Adapters to fit all jack. Our latest Jack Adapter fits 8 ton and smaller hydro jacks with 1.25" post and smaller.

Jack safely with a ► Jack Adapters - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

Note: Many hydro jacks including Safe Jack will not fit under your axle with a flat tire. Something you dont want to find out when its too late.

img_9529-2-jpg.1473405

Recently helped a guy out in a new 4runner with a flat. It was his first time with a Toyota jack and flat and asked me where should he put the jack to lift it. I watch him struggle and said I have something that could help.

cflPpKoX-U_K8jlKU-MsMOdvJHieXoAdGMJ4oGOT434eA7bNzzIlNoecOSJY8UQSI3_PVfywdCXXRw4fuiUkBIPXxtRgI4pQG8ABAi_Gf4BTvOwhBJpSt3qB9V45a-O4v6p4__07SfVokhn-3bUw2HaPFeIFyATV4fihfiU-GVRNR02c2MkZi8XQ1ArqqPVf-pi0xK7-dunAQHGBcyL6effJ9ZHq1RljS4vDcLvVu9VJFl1WnK29pcEaWx0rr_myoHjGS5JqXD8KOMsuYyaz2utASVOR2kpO9uKlQj8EIb-PJ4ky5RxDxWGQtZkqtwKrhgN-BRyhA_bncQWWdjn-kJYl2kipRCH2373tjGy416zFGgNxeTCxLfF6XpsWGGw-NlkSeJ5EN9-RqNFU2m0L-Ya6OLbaa3WcKzn2ksXJDshlmWY0wUocysrTf78zZtdRrVKJ92MlGFRJZyG76_-XqXuBB2ZYWrfnoFw7RSfaAIJm0nAHQ5JEVGKfuBzHcjyc8KaQYdcNH8vnVYa7bum61JqdESejhX5kjkJcVdqLMuTa3Eo1DJ57eS0SSVPBFXBOlRgZemnYZAcrzvKT-dnQAY-rFp9NZvZHIOynNk60=w1424-h949-no

Thats adapter is cool why doesnt my 4runner come with that and where do I get one. SOLD!:D

Ordered one of your adapters @LandCruiserPhil , thanks for making this available. On the topic of getting more out of the factory jack, what is everyone using as spreader plate? I carry a piece of plywood but came across this Reese product a while ago: http://a.co/26bKFzZ

Similar concept to this hi-lift base but without the 2" increase in height, apparently its a snug fit:
dscn3395-jpg.44516

I second the option for Air Lift 1000 air bags. I installed a few months back for pulling our pop up camper and all gear. Two rows adults/kids third with 60lb dog and other items and 1500lb pop up. Truck was level the entire time and drove great.

After the trip just lowered the air to 10lbs and rides like before the trip. I love this setup as it gave me unlimited adjustments. They are cheap too.

Leaving Sunday and have no time to install airbags. Going to have to hope for the best.

LC Phil, if I order tonight would it make it to mid Mo by Friday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom