What did you do on your 70 series today? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gonna be a hot one today, might need to use the ac today :)

434D4E24-1269-4360-A84E-4E6E9463B38C.jpeg

Had some 1/8th inch aluminum left over from the tailgate cover I made for my HDJ81 (link with some details here), so decided to take a shot at making a fold down table for the rear door of my BJ74. If I don't look too closely at the details I'd say it came out pretty well especially given it was made completely with materials I had in the garage.

Used nutserts at the corners in existing holes, a simple lever to hold the table in the upright position, and some para cord to set it level when open. Covered up the hinge with some reflective tape for that "Safety First" look for no real reason.
table2.jpg

Folded up, it is quiet and out of the way.
table1.jpg

When in doubt, cut it out!

I can't see very good in your picture but I have cut off a few pitman arms that were seriously seized. Just be careful, don't go to deep and cut with the splines. Often one cut will do it and a puller will get it off after you put a slice in it.

Cheers
the end of the pitman arm is not threaded, if you didn't know that. looks like you have a tap in it.

Thanks for the input the easy out is a buggerd one amd is just there so that i can get decent purchase when i hit it. The picture is really poor sorry but I've tried excessive heat and smashed the crap out of it. I mean hard as. Also tried some really expensive penetration oil to no avail but have let it sit overnight now so will try again.
IMG_20180603_091606.jpg

Too early for a build thread but I figured I'd post this. Not exactly 70 series content but soon to be. Picked up the first piece of the 70 series project I'll be doing with Ian @RMP&O It's a triple locked '93 80-series, took a hit to the side but missed the frame completely. It's exactly what I was after, a locked, FF rear, 80 from California with zero rust. It'll get the suspension freshened up, frame stretched and plopped on a 70... hopefully. Already ordered front and rear axle rebuild parts (birfs, bearings, seals, brakes, wheel studs, axle studs, ect...) It drives really well. Actually was my first time driving an 80, now I know why people love these things; they're pretty damn fantastic. Even with a gaping hole in the side. Front door still works as do both windows oddly enough. Thank god for noise canceling headphones, came in handy for the 10 hour drive back to Utah. I think I'll daily drive it until I leave for the middle east next month.

7w5iTTT.jpg

moYo1CJ.jpg

Im about too start tidying up my PZJ ... Can you give me the lift and tyre size please joe ?

33/12.5/15 for the tires and the lift is a custom made package that came from a truck I parted out so no exact info on that.

Tested these wheels/tires out....
P6071278 2.JPG
P6071293.JPG

Then went back to my steel wheels with some new rubber...
20180608_152518.jpg
20180608_202038.jpg

Too early for a build thread but I figured I'd post this. Not exactly 70 series content but soon to be. Picked up the first piece of the 70 series project I'll be doing with Ian @RMP&O It's a triple locked '93 80-series, took a hit to the side but missed the frame completely. It's exactly what I was after, a locked, FF rear, 80 from California with zero rust. It'll get the suspension freshened up, frame stretched and plopped on a 70... hopefully. Already ordered front and rear axle rebuild parts (birfs, bearings, seals, brakes, wheel studs, axle studs, ect...)
Sounds like a fun project. I’m considering something similar but word of advice, put the 80 chassis under the 70, not “on” it;)

1,000 mile road trip! Coastal Northern California to back home in Colorado without incident. The Troopy just hums along, eating up the miles. Of course, my wife was days ahead of me by the time we got to CO, since she was driving the RAV4--exactly 3x the power of the Troopy! lol!

Day 1: Getting Fuel in CA
CA start.JPG

Somewhere along the way:

Utah.JPG

Arriving in Colorado:

IMG_5520.jpg

Yeah, but how many thumps-up and 'cool truck' comments did she get in the Rav?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom