Questions for everyone about Inner Axle Seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to understand what kind of life to expect out of these seals, I replaced one less than 5k ago and I believe it has already failed again so I want to have a survey of sorts to find out how long peoples have lasted.

If you could please post:
-how long an inner axle seal lasts you on average - Miles/months
-What brand you use(Marlin, Toyota OEM, or Other - please explain)
-How many miles/Months since last changed an inner Axle seal
-What kind of driving/wheeling your 80 sees

And some other general questions I have are what's the longest you've driven on a knuckle filled with birf soup from a failed seal knowing that the knuckle has been somewhat contaminated? Did it have any consequences? and also could a particularly off-camber and high articulation spot cause gear oil to leak past a seal and introduce gear oil to the knuckle even if it hasn't failed under normal driving conditions? - I was stopped in an off camber spot with the front axle nearly fully articulated for about 5 minutes the angle was probably enough for the gear oil to move toward the outside of the housing, could this possibly cause a seal failure or allow gear oil past an otherwise functioning seal?

Thanks in advance.

So what seals did you use? Did you do the work or farm it out? Is your axle housing bent or straight?

do your axles have a small worn out grove where the oil seal should be? I did but positioned my new seals in not quite all the way in.

So what seals did you use? Did you do the work or farm it out? Is your axle housing bent or straight?
The seal that I just saw leaking was one from Cruiser Outfitters, not an OEM toyota - although it did seem high quality. You're probably familiar with the ones they sell. I did the work myself and as far as I could tell my housing was/is straight. There is no way it would've been tweaked or bent before I bought the cruiser and since then I haven't done anything so serious as to bend it - at least I don't think so.

do your axles have a small worn out grove where the oil seal should be? I did but positioned my new seals in not quite all the way in.
I did see the marking you are talking about although mine wasn't really worn enough for me to call it a groove, I could definitely see the marked area the oil seal rubbed on the axle shaft though. When I replaced the one that is now leaking I just did it as a "while I'm here" replacement because I was there replacing a birf anyway(which was not shot just clicking bad enough where I thought I should change it rather than risk grenading it next time I went wheeling).

Did you have a problem where fully seated seals would leak? and did not seating them all the way fix the problem? I've done 2 axle seals at this point and always made sure to seat them fully.
Edit for clarification - The one leaking is one I replaced 5k ago bought from Cruiser Outfitters, about a week ago I just replaced the other side axle seal with an OEM Toyota because it was leaking(It was a marlin seal that was leaking)

Ive only rebuilt my front knuckles once so im not the expert or anything but what I do know is that my worn out, clicking and beat up birfs had that oil seal mark/gouge/grove thing going on and I didnt feel confident it would properly seal. So I just installed the new seal so that it would sit on a different spot. Very close like an 1/8'' or so from the grove. So far 6 months later its holding up ok. I also made sure to grease up the new seal too, just because.

Ive only rebuilt my front knuckles once so im not the expert or anything but what I do know is that my worn out, clicking and beat up birfs had that oil seal mark/gouge/grove thing going on and I didnt feel confident it would properly seal. So I just installed the new seal so that it would sit on a different spot. Very close like an 1/8'' or so from the grove. So far 6 months later its holding up ok. I also made sure to grease up the new seal too, just because.

Interesting, definitely something to consider. Thanks!

I debut my axles the first time using marlin seals.roughly 6k miles later it failed on the drivers side. I haw since replaced both sides with Toyota seals and have gone almost 7k with 0 issues.

first figure out what seals you actually used so people can give you feedback, it sounds like you used marlin seals which have a bad reputation in the 80 crowd for not working well. I personally installed marlins and my axle started leaking a few k after install. I just redid my whole front end and used OEM seals and outboarded them about 1/8 inch to they ride on a different spot. I also filled the groove in my axles with jb weld and smoothed it down with very fine sandpaper. So far so good.

Use OEM seals. Also make sure you diff breather line is not clogged. It would be better just to buy 1/4 inch fuel line and run it to the engine bay for water crossings and general peiece of mind. A clogged breather can cause diff fluid to blow out.

1. the seal will go bad if you uninstall in dry you meed to grease seal lips and the o-spring as a must .
2. the seal will go bad if CV Axle in the area not smooth, have axle scratches etc.
3. defected parts

The ones I used werent Marlin I know the difference, it wasnt Marlin or Toyota but it was an OEM style seal that seemed to be of good quality but I'll take a pic once I pull it. Heres a pic off CruiserOutfitters site of the ones I ordered #FA35010 It's hard to tell if they have Toyota in that pic or the ones I received - My breathers are already ran to the bay so dont think thats a problem although I'll check theyre clear of any obstructions. I have 3 Toyota OEM left which I purchased from the dealership so I will use one of them and go from there.

image.jpg

I have Marlin Crawler inner axle seals on the front, but I'm not happy with them. Next time I pull the front hubs (soon, since the bearings all need re-packing) I might replace the axle shafts if they have too much of a groove. The other problem (remember when I last did a full front rebuild about 5 yrs ago) is that whoever had pulled inner axle seals before I got the vehicle left score marks on the seal seats and while I tried to work those down I'm suspicious if the Marlin seals are/were good enough to take care of them.

I'm getting a wits-end seal over-drive tool so may just go back to factory inner seals. New axle shafts aren't expensive and they will last a very long time. Luckily almost all front driveline stuff is still available apart from the actual axle housing

For a while now I've had a niggly suspicion that the front axle housing itself may be slightly bent but it's probably impossible to get a new one for a pre-8/92 build. Hmmm looks like brakes and front driveline are my winter project for the colder months until aussie spring from Sep onwards.

Last edited:
I found my driver side seal to have gone bad within the last week it seems and this is like the 3rd or 4th seal I have installed. Last seal I installed was a trail gear seal and I did it before winter and drive roughy 300 miles a week. I have trail gear axles as well. I'm starting to think my housing is bent since I've used OEM and aftermarket seals but when I used OEM my axle had a groove. So I guess I'll try OEM this time and see how long it last

I found my driver side seal to have gone bad within the last week it seems and this is like the 3rd or 4th seal I have installed. Last seal I installed was a trail gear seal and I did it before winter and drive roughy 300 miles a week. I have trail gear axles as well. I'm starting to think my housing is bent since I've used OEM and aftermarket seals but when I used OEM my axle had a groove. So I guess I'll try OEM this time and see how long it last

I have done lots of Knuckles rebuilds, and have had issues only with not using OEM, and another thing @NLXTACY has a cool tool to install the seals . I always tell people to use OEM

As an aside, how does someone tell if the front axle housing is bent/deformed enough that the axle shafts won't run centrally through inner axle seals? I guess the axle shafts themselves can get bent too, if the vehicle is abused enough.

I've used Cruiser Outfitters rebuild kits before with no issues. I think they source quality parts.

They'd be very much like Terrain Tamer kits sold by Don Kyatt's here in Australia - usually only include genuine bearings and seals or equiv to OEM in quality seals.

What is the condition of the surface of the axleshafts? Are you protecting the seal when loading the axleshaft?

OEM seal + Wit's End tool = Winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom