California Title and Registration of Diesels (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need some help. I'm looking at buying my first BJ40. It's a 1979, originally from Costa Rica. The current owner has all proper importation papers and a referral from DMV to CHP. In the "Reason for Referral" section, it appears to say "No Fed Label," but the writing is difficult to read.

I'm in the LA area. Has anyone gone through this with a '79 or earlier BJ40 recently?

From what I know the CHP is going to send you to CARB. And you are going to have to take the truck to the Santa Ana lab where they’ll charge you 10k to pass .
I’ve been looking around and looks like a very difficult process.
You might want to look to register the at somewhere else maybe under a relative’s name.

From what I know the CHP is going to send you to CARB. And you are going to have to take the truck to the Santa Ana lab where they’ll charge you 10k to pass .
You might want to look to register the at somewhere else maybe under a relative’s name.

I have a party this weekend and a few cop buddies are gonna be there, I’m gonna see if they got any CHP buddies that can help speed this process up and perhaps make it easier.

This is a 1979 BJ40 - diesel engine. 1979 or older diesel vehicles are exempt from all testing.

Unfortunately, I contacted the DMV to confirm that I could extend the temporary permit because this morning the seller told me that the permit had expired. DMV said that it was referred to smog testing and didn't need a CHP review. Turns out that the seller had submitted registration as a gas, not diesel engine.

I inspected and drove the BJ40 today. A lot of fun, but it had too many issues for the price - including a busted odometer.

This is a 1979 BJ40 - diesel engine. 1979 or older diesel vehicles are exempt from all testing.

Unfortunately, I contacted the DMV to confirm that I could extend the temporary permit because this morning the seller told me that the permit had expired. DMV said that it was referred to smog testing and didn't need a CHP review. Turns out that the seller had submitted registration as a gas, not diesel engine.

I inspected and drove the BJ40 today. A lot of fun, but it had too many issues for the price - including a busted odometer.

I recently talk to the CHP and what they say is that it doesn’t matter that is a diesel. Every car has to be certified by the CARB to be en California.
Too bad the truck didn’t work out for you!

I’m guessing @saltycoconuts is still twiddling his thumbs waiting for the 22nd of July to arrive!

It seems I may be out of luck, spoke with a CHP friend and he told me that he cant help (IDK how true). Anyway, I got the CARB number from the CHP Vin officer and from CARB I got the Santa Ana grey market guys number. Looks to be that this'll end up registered in AZ... I wonder what'll be harder, a letter of acceptance from UCSF or a letter from Toyota. I also wonder If CA will refund my registration payment.

I would go for AZ if the choice was only between those two.
Florida would be on top of the list and I think (South) Dakota is very easy.
Somebody mentioned it somewhere here.

I saw a Nissan Silvia S15 yesterday here in LA with Florida plates.
These were made between 1999-2002.
Even on the federal level they cannot be imported by mortals like us.
Those cars were never imported officially in US, RHD and a non EPA certified engine.
Go figure.

I saw a Nissan Silvia S15 yesterday here in LA with Florida plates.
These were made between 1999-2002.
Even on the federal level they cannot be imported by mortals like us.
Those cars were never imported officially in US, RHD and a non EPA certified engine.
Go figure.
I went to the dmv to get a refund on my registration and I spoke with the vin verification guy. He said he passed a rhd Jdm Toyota van the other day and has no idea why mine would fail.

Did you get your refund?

Update on my '88 LJ70 diesel imported from Spain.
We are military and stationed in San Diego after coming back from 3 years in Spain and bringing our toy with us, it arrived a few months ago. We did the Vin verification at CHP, no problem. We went to the DMV a few times, no problem. They sent off the paperwork to Sacramento and gave us our CA plates and registration stickers.
Then we got a reply from Sacramento saying we have to get a letter of emissions compliance from Toyota. We took it to Toyota, they say they can't help up. Since it was imported from Spain, we called Toyota there, they can't help us. Waiting for Toyota Italy to get back to us, as that is where it was originally sold. Somehow, there is no record in the Toyota database of our vehicle, as if they made a mistake in the VIN number when they created it. It is stamped into the frame, but Toyota doesn't recognize it... I don't know where to go from here.
We might just register it as off-highway and see if an off-road only person wants to buy it. any other ideas?

Update on my '88 LJ70 diesel imported from Spain.
We are military and stationed in San Diego after coming back from 3 years in Spain and bringing our toy with us, it arrived a few months ago. We did the Vin verification at CHP, no problem. We went to the DMV a few times, no problem. They sent off the paperwork to Sacramento and gave us our CA plates and registration stickers.
Then we got a reply from Sacramento saying we have to get a letter of emissions compliance from Toyota. We took it to Toyota, they say they can't help up. Since it was imported from Spain, we called Toyota there, they can't help us. Waiting for Toyota Italy to get back to us, as that is where it was originally sold. Somehow, there is no record in the Toyota database of our vehicle, as if they made a mistake in the VIN number when they created it. It is stamped into the frame, but Toyota doesn't recognize it... I don't know where to go from here.
We might just register it as off-highway and see if an off-road only person wants to buy it. any other ideas?

Sorta on the same ship. I had my bank refund my registration fees and now I’m taking my truck to Arizona to register. Should be a piece of cake there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom