GX470 HID Projector Retrofit (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why on earth would you want HIDs? I have found them to be unreliable and silly expensive on our Prius. I replace both bulbs almost yearly at a cost of $40 ea.

Ballasts were dead soon after I bought the car.

No thanks....

I've run the same bulbs in my 80 for 4 years without and issues as have millions of others from OEM to those doing retrofits in various models.

if you don't own a GX or LX you won't have to worry about it

Curious how much a simple clear lense swap would help? Luke, if you could, post up the lense size for us? I was thinking of sending a set of Depo Sport HLs to Lightwerks or Retrofit Source. Still waiting to see what your outcome is. Definitely a long overdue thread

It won't make much of a difference..that's where I started and quickly realized a full retrofit was the way to go. I will measure the lens for you but there's no telling what's inside the DEPO's... in the way of projector bowl quality and lens. Lightwerks does great work and would no doubt recommend a new projector. I'm finishing up a set of LX lights and will crack open the GX light this weekend

Last edited:
I've run the same bulbs in my 80 for 4 years without and issues as have millions of others from OEM to those doing retrofits in various models.

The light output is why!! haha

The shop I work with here in Tokyo does custom bike/scooter headlights and is trying to steer me to LEDs over HIDs. I guess that's another possibility? No idea how good it would look with an LED lens array in that headlight but (correct me if I'm wrong) running decent LED bulbs through HID projectors would still be better than LED through halogen projectors?

The shop I work with here in Tokyo does custom bike/scooter headlights and is trying to steer me to LEDs over HIDs. I guess that's another possibility? No idea how good it would look with an LED lens array in that headlight but (correct me if I'm wrong) running decent LED bulbs through HID projectors would still be better than LED through halogen projectors?

I don’t know but Morimoto has the M-Led and I believe there’s a few other companies that are selling them. I recently finished a set of FJ cruiser headlight using the M-Led. While they offer a few advantages from long life to instant on the D2S still has a wider beam pattern and just as bright

Last edited:
Looking forward to what you find...

Any updates?

Any updates?

I’ve opened up the light and removed the OEM Bracket. I can make the MIni H1 work by cutting the low beam side of the bracket but I’m working on trying to get the D2S mounted and a slick solution for the Highbeam.
The Profile Hi-Lens LED which might slip right into the highbeam side of the bracket. Just waiting for it to arrive

9E5CE524-E6F4-47EE-BBDF-7776B0E3884D.jpeg

9C3C313B-1802-45F5-B1A6-2FB7C20A1633.jpeg

D8D69BCB-20EE-4B49-8AD0-77875303F49D.jpeg

Please keep us updated! That LED lense looks awesome! I brought my mess to work and the pro we have there is giddy with excitement about how large these housings are.

I already have the RX projectors but he's now got me looking at a combo LED setup from the new Sienta...

2016_Toyota_Sienta-21-1024x682.jpg

The Hi-Lens Led arrived and it looks like it’s going to be perfect . I just need to cut a small section of the bracket which will allow the lens to sit straight.. it will extend about 3/4 of an inch from the front edge of the bracket which is about the same distance that the OEM highbeam lens stuck out allowing it to slip into the shroud perfectly

CEE2978E-01C8-4EC8-AB68-BEA2197DE38D.jpeg

E4F7C367-5E09-4262-97C0-807DC7815D27.jpeg

8DB5C6C5-2B69-415D-930E-6564C0FB7E16.jpeg

1E760469-C3BC-4F0E-AA80-FC16A0D9BC06.jpeg

Really interested in your impressions on that high beam mod. My son just retrofitted my GX with HIDs from an 04 RX330 and it turned out great. He started a build thread here.
Sounds like a nice setup.. hit the link but I couldn’t see the photos

Hey Luke - do you think multiple mod pods (or mini) would look any good in the OEM turn signal location?
It might look great but wiring could get complicated... I’m still trying to figure out what your plans are to install two lights is the low beam area... are you going the cut the shroud?

Hmm, pics were working on the thread when I linked it but now I can't see anything but the first one either.

Hmm, pics were working on the thread when I linked it but now I can't see anything but the first one either.
You should load them here is this thread

It might look great but wiring could get complicated... I’m still trying to figure out what your plans are to install two lights is the low beam area... are you going the cut the shroud?

Yeah, will trim the shroud if needed. Most likely going to need some trimming and satin black paint.
Any advice on switchback LED strips? I ordered a 12" ACME DYNAMO strip but seems like it was cancelled and is no longer being offered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom