2006 Transmission Fluid Service (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2006 (140k mi) is due for transmission fluid service by my count. I believe it was done previously based on the notes from PO but I don't know what type of fluid (I doubt it was the correct type). I want to flush the system and put in the proper Toyota WS stuff.

Couple questions since there doesn't seem to be an FAQ on this:
1. What is the proper procedure to fully remove old fluid? On my 80 I disconnected the return hose at the cooler until the fluid stopped coming out then quickly shut off the truck. Worked fine. However the 750 transmission doesn't seem to be as simple as drain and fill based on the OEM instructions.

2. Is there a filter in the pan that I should drop the pan and replace like I did on my 80?

3. How much fluid for a full exchange?

Thanks! Sorry if this is a duplicate question. I did try searching but didn't yield what I was looking for.

Thanks!
-Phil

Do this: Lazy man WS ATF filler

I used maybe 14-16qts WS, swapped it like you did on the 80 except I emptied into a milk jug and shut off every 2 qts. Fine tune with the overflow plug. I didn't drop the pan. Not having a dipstick is annoying, but you can work around it.

I used maybe 14-16qts WS, swapped it like you did on the 80 except I emptied into a milk jug and shut off every 2 qts.

Thanks - that was what I was thinking. So you stopped every 2q. Did you do this until you stopped getting fluid out? Technically that would cause it to run dry but not for more than a few seconds, which I think is OK because there is going to be some residue in there to keep it lubed. This is what I did on my 80 but I don't know if that's correct or not.

Watch this video for how i did the transmission fluid exchange on my lx470 98

Thanks! That's along the lines with what I was going to do although I'm more inclined to get all the fluid out first and then add new fluid to avoid blending as much as possible.

WS ATF Flush Procedure

Phil

here is the link to the thread I followed when flushing my 06 LC transmission

1. Your procedure for the 80 is very similar to the 100 procedure

2. the filter Screen gets Back Flushed when you drain the fluid from the pan - no need to change out the transmission screen/filter

3. I had 16 qts of WS fluid on hand, ended up using 14 quarts.

Main difference for the 06 is the sealed transmission - adding fluid through the fill plug is a challenge - I ended up using a garden sprayer to Pump the new fluid through a length of tubing into the fill plug.

to top off the fluid correctly, the transmission must be at the correct temp, and the engine must be idiling in park. The above link describes the procedure to confirm the proper temp, and how fluid level must be measured to confirm the proper level.

Thanks - that was what I was thinking. So you stopped every 2q. Did you do this until you stopped getting fluid out? Technically that would cause it to run dry but not for more than a few seconds, which I think is OK because there is going to be some residue in there to keep it lubed. This is what I did on my 80 but I don't know if that's correct or not.

Thanks! That's along the lines with what I was going to do although I'm more inclined to get all the fluid out first and then add new fluid to avoid blending as much as possible.

I agree. If were to do it again i would just let it run till it was all pumped out and refill with new. I have already dropped the pan and replaced the mesh filter. although it really didn't need to be replaced.

Thanks - that was what I was thinking. So you stopped every 2q.

I refilled 2q every time I stopped. I can't tell you what is "right", but it's an expensive part so I was cautious. Once you get the hose run it's easy to fill as you pump it out. Forgot to mention that I initially drained the pan, so that was like 4q I think.

Watch this video for how i did the transmission fluid exchange on my lx470 98

@Ohashimi make sure you look at suggestion I made (post #38 ) to your video (post #37) Dexron III or Toyota WS ATF transmission fluid. What ATF are you using? Your video is a nice learning experience for you, but adds air bubbles running pump dry, waste time and money and is cumbersome. I'm not trying to dis you, but procedure is much easier, cheaper and safer than you've shown.
06 doesn't have dip stick, also uses different ATF the Toyota WS.
98 - 03 is easy compared 06 (04-07), I hat that Toyota removed the dip stick.

Last edited:
Changing tranny fluid is sooooo overrated. Toyota figured that out as well and did away with the dipstick. Just drive them. That is what Toyota made them for.

I refilled 2q every time I stopped. I can't tell you what is "right", but it's an expensive part so I was cautious. Once you get the hose run it's easy to fill as you pump it out. Forgot to mention that I initially drained the pan, so that was like 4q I think.

Ok i missed draining the pan. I wasn't sure how you werent just mixing old and new fluid but with draining pan you are pushing oit old fluid in lines with new.

Changing tranny fluid is sooooo overrated. Toyota figured that out as well and did away with the dipstick. Just drive them. That is what Toyota made them for.

Local Land Cruiser mechanic told me my 06 transmission was basically non serviceable and that I shouldn’t touch it unless there was a performance issue. Hard to believe - he said it could be done but didn’t think it was needed.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF, it is Toyota WS rated, drain the trans via drain plug, refill. Done.

I change my trans fluid every 50k and never touch the filter.

....And its perfeclty clean isn't it?

....And its perfeclty clean isn't it?

No. Kinda. Maybe?

I don't tow over the weight limit, I do get it nice and hot at the dunes.
It's never burnt. Without a dipstick you cannot check the condition of the fluid.

But most importantly of all...it make me feel better to change it every 50k.
I do the same with my wifes van.

Toyota does consider WS ATF a lifetime fluid, in normal use. Which would be 25 years based on design life of a 100 series.

I'm in the camp of you can't change fluid often enough, and feel 25 years is way to long with average mileage/use.

Doesn't look to bad 127K miles. But certainly not a translucent red like new.
010.JPG

I made a cheat so no need to re-plug fill hole between level check procedure.
030.JPG
034.JPG
039.JPG
040.JPG
But it does fill a bit slowly, as air escapes is slow at breather.

Toyota does consider WS ATF a lifetime fluid, in normal use. Which would be 25 years based on design life of a 100 series.

I'm in the camp of you can't change fluid often enough, and feel 25 years is way to long with average mileage/use.

Doesn't look to bad 127K miles. But certainly not a translucent red like new.
View attachment 1716380

I made a cheat so no need to re-plug fill hole between level check procedure.
View attachment 1716388 View attachment 1716389 View attachment 1716390 View attachment 1716391 But it does fill a bit slowly, as air escapes is slow at breather.

I've been thinking for a while now if you could add a dipstick to the transmission from a earlier 100 series.

I've been thinking for a while now if you could add a dipstick to the transmission from a earlier 100 series.
Would be nice. You'd just need to look at the 03 to see if easy or not.

Would be nice. You'd just need to look at the 03 to see if easy or not.

That should be an easy thing to do, I'm going to have to source a dipstick tube and look into this.
I am surprised no one has done this already.

It may be more difficult and certainly cost more than just dealing with the PITA procedure. But do let us know what you find.

I think it's just a oil Pan that is about ~$75, then you need stick & tube.

Last edited:
Valvoline MaxLife ATF, it is Toyota WS rated, drain the trans via drain plug, refill. Done.

I change my trans fluid every 50k and never touch the filter.

This is what I do as well(on my 2000). Maxlife ATF is good stuff. I would also recommend Mobil1 ATF. Initially, I drained from the drainplug only, measured the amount drained and then refilled that amount, drove around and did it again a few times. Maxlife is cheap enough to do it this way. Sure you're mixing new with old but after a few times you've got most of it replaced without the worry of messing too much with something that's not broke. Now I just drain and refill one time every so often if I feel like I haven't done it in a while. I would never attempt or pay for a transmission flush, I've heard too many horror stories of problems afterward

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom