Andy's Taco build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That Taco just keeps getting better. Happy birthday!!!!!

Thanks!

I've got big plans for it this summer, but need to complete a house project for my wife first....

Flatbed design is coming along, still not quite happy with it.

taco120.png
taco118.png
taco119.png

Last edited:
Love the flatbed idea!

The side skirts on a flatbed is what makes it look finished and not so half a$$.
I've got some aluminum diamond plate to work in on my mini flat bed. But I think my wife wants me to sell it. She doesn't get the "truck thing"

Well, I decided if I was ambitious enough to think about building a flatbed I should be ambitious enough to take a few hours to try to fix my rust.

I have a set of used front fenders laying around so I figured I could cut a swath out of those to use as a filler.

The rust:

20180603_094921.jpg

The cut:
20180603_150343.jpg

Patch panel:
20180603_162847.jpg

Think blue tape will hold?
20180603_162155.jpg

Just test fitting the patch panel to check the curve. That is about as close as I could get - the front fenders have a little tighter radius.

Still have to do the other side and weld them in.

Not sure yet what I am going to do for paint... maybe a red stripe of a similar color.

Last edited:
I bought this today. Hoping I can fasten the patch and only have to weld at the bottom corners to minimize warping and to help keep rust from returning any time soon.

After the project is finished I am happy to let club members borrow the gun.

View attachment 1715755

We use this at work for plastic bumper repair, the glue depending on which ones you get is awesome. If I was keeping my brown truck, I was going to use these to secure the flares to the truck instead of the Toyota FPIG I have now lol.

Have you consider using Rhino Lining, LineX or any other bed liner for helping keep the weather out?
I have a small spot on the left rear wheel well I need to address and am thinking after I clean it up having the rockers, pinch weld and part of the floor boards coated, pretty much at the same spots that are now none existent on the brown truck.

I was planning to slather the seams on the back side with a good seam sealer. I did this on all the 40 seams and it worked awesome!

The advantage to using the epoxy to fasten it is that I can prime everything with a good epoxy primer first and just glue it together. I have great access to both the front and back of this panel to coat it good afterwards.

I cut out the support - I think it will be fine without it unless I hit something, so trapped dirt and moisture back there should not be an issue. I can also reuse the inner fender liner.

I am extremely adverse to using bedliner materials on the outside of the truck. My PO used one of these on the front edge of my hood and after a few years it is a train wreck. It all started popping off this winter!

I was able to cut just below the body line around the wheel well, so my filler should theoretically be on a flat surface and "somewhat" easy to get right.

We use this at work for plastic bumper repair, the glue depending on which ones you get is awesome. If I was keeping my brown truck, I was going to use these to secure the flares to the truck instead of the Toyota FPIG I have now lol.

Have you consider using Rhino Lining, LineX or any other bed liner for helping keep the weather out?
I have a small spot on the left rear wheel well I need to address and am thinking after I clean it up having the rockers, pinch weld and part of the floor boards coated, pretty much at the same spots that are now none existent on the brown truck.
I find liner to be a good way to trap moisture and rot things faster.
IMG_20180523_120939.jpg
IMG_20180523_122139.jpg

Paint holds moisture in too if water gets behind it. I was checking out the other side this morning and there were some big paint bubbles. I pushed on them and water squirted out! Had I left this go too much longer I am sure the rust would have spread pretty repidly - as it is the truck looked great a year and a half ago and the rust progressed pretty rapidly once I started wheeling it.

I think the twisting and vibration tweaked the welds and let dirt and moisture in.

I am curious which brand of liner was used on both of your trucks.

The reason I had considered it is I have seen some trucks where it has held up well. Most of them were either Rhino Linings or LineX brand not the do it yourself liner you can buy else where.

I have been watching the YouTube series Dirt Every Day and on one of the episodes they had the wheels Nitride Coated like you can do with firearms to make them more corrosive resistant. I thought that was neat but don't think that is an option.

My gray truck has Monsta Liner on it and it's good stuff, has not peeled up anyplace where there was not existing issues already.

Last edited:
The reason I had considered it is I have seen some trucks where it has held up well. Most of them were either Rhino Linings or LineX brand not the do it yourself liner you can buy else where.

The main problem I've seen is when people don't adequately think through how they're coating things and water is able to get in behind the liner - such as coating one side of a seam where water then gets in from the other side and collects in the seam under the liner. The other issue is not doing proper prep work, resulting in an insufficient bond and then having water get in under the liner as it pulls away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom