Scored 2007 Unicorn. The holy grail of 100 series. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excellent job on writing up the rebuild - I know there are many of us that can benefit from it.

Thanks much

When do you guess this beautiful rig will be completed and offered up to the next LC enthusiast? You do such fantastic and thorough work!
Thank you for that!

My goal was by June 4th. But I took my time, did tons of extras and ran into issue that slowed me. So I'm now shooting for July 1.

It will not be "offered up" as it pre-sold.

I've actually not been putting my rigs up for sale. As they presale long before I'm ready to even consider listing. Had The Unicorn not pre-sold, it would have never been offered up!

Excellent job on writing up the rebuild - I know there are many of us that can benefit from it.

Thanks much
Thank you, and you're welcome. I hope all who visit can find some benefit.

Last edited:
Interior work has been progressing.

HVAC filter additing was one first up.

I purchased new cover and door and placed in cabin air filters.
056.JPG

Using these filter seem to change air/fan sound a bit in hi. Kind of like air flow is a little restricked.
001.JPG

Notic, I did this while engine harness and ECU out.
057.JPG
058.JPG
059.JPG

Cleaned and ready for new cover plate.
062.JPG
Had to make sure seal at bottom was in good condition, clean and in place.
064.JPG

This wire was given me a bit of issue, keeping in position between HVAC housing & cover.
063.JPG
067.JPG

066.JPG

Both filters in and door in place.
065.JPG
068.JPG

Attaching wires as inner shield goes in place.
071.JPG
072.JPG

081.JPG

I repaired glove box door shock cord while in the area. I'll bet the radio installer broke it. They don't care much what they tear up, getting installation done.

The loop was pulled from crimp of metal retainer. Notice the loop is held to glove box door with a slip of bracket.
Interior behind glove box ().jpg

061.JPG
073.JPG

Last edited:
Cleaning the HVAC cabin sensor while working in dash area. This is behind the little vents cut in dash under ignition key. I was working on diagnose steering telescopic motor. Had lower panel off, so why not hit with some MAF sensor spray cleaner.
006.JPG
009.JPG

Steering column telescopic function was not working. So I pulled it and plugged into tilt motor wire harness to test, it was bad.
Steering colum telescopic motor (4).JPG
I order a new out of the UAE from PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World ~$200, 3 or 4 days later and it was here.
001.JPG

Installed new motor
002.JPG
Button back up the lower dash
003.JPG
010.JPG

Works fine now.

A hole was drilled through firewall for antenna (GPS I suppose). They didn't need as there already was a rear one installed, oh-well. In doing the job they failed to make air/water tight. So I put in a grommet in firewall and sealed with some black FIPG.
027.JPG
006.JPG

007.JPG

001.JPG
003.JPG

Last edited:
Aftermarket AMP battery lead and fuse box. They took a lazy apochoce and just screwed in with steel screws that rusted. They attach to top of fuse box, making opening fuse box a bit cumbersome. It also created a potential water leak into fuse box.

007.JPG
I made an insulated bracket, then attached with 10 mm bolt to existing factory fender nut hole at side of main fuse box.
006.JPG
007.JPG
Plugged the holes in fuse box and sealed with FIPG
008.JPG
004.JPG

AMP under PS frt seat, need some clean up and modification. The installer cut the extra carpet off that bridges over the AMP. This created a potential problem, in that, the seats wire harness could drag into AMP speaker, power, receiver, etc. wires. The factory kept this extra carpet on to give wire harness a slide on both DS & PS front seats. It also helps debery and things dropped on front floor out, keep from building in the cavity.
012.JPG

After cleaning the area up a bit. I found a piece of new household carpet I cut and fastened with carpet tape. Works really well, just hope the carpet tape holds as I've never used it before.
017.JPG

018.JPG

Radio installer also broke the clip holding wire harness to bottom of seat. This clip is not sold separately by Toyota. So I used two heavy plastic ties.
Seat PS frt clip.JPG
Seat PS frt wire harness clip.JPG

Last edited:
They also left off the outside bracket that hold molding on under rear of PS frt seat. This helps keep feet and debery out from back seat floor area. I tried to buy a new Toyota bracket, but they're not available. If I get near a salvage yard I'll grab a bracket. But for now I just made one.
001.JPG
003.JPG

Additionally the carpet stay (hook & loop tape) in front footwell was yanked out of its staples. Likely rear GPS antenna installer again. I'm never happy with these aftermarket installers.
I simply restapled.
Wire is to rear GPS antenna.
Carpet stay PS (1).JPG
Carpet stay PS (2).JPG

Last edited:
A hole was drilled through firewall for antenna (GPS I suppose). They didn't need as there already was a rear one installed, oh-well. In doing the job they failed to make air/water tight. So I put in a grommet in firewall and sealed with some black FIPG.
View attachment 1710982 View attachment 1710984
View attachment 1710983
View attachment 1711702 View attachment 1711703
I can’t believe they drilled a hole in the firewall and just passed some loom through it without a grommet....that’s impressively stupid:confused:

DS front seat was removed to clean up and repair carpet ripe. Ripe may have been something jamb between seat and carpet as seat was moved forward.
2.JPG
3.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
028.JPG

I can’t believe they drilled a hole in the firewall and just passed some loom through it without a grommet....that’s impressively stupid:confused:
They not only drilled a hole and not sealing up, but made a clean path for water to travel down from roof gutter into footwell of DS. I really hate seeing any modification on our rigs by these guys. It just cause issues. One I've yet to mention yet, that has me pulling out what little hair I've have remaining.:mad:

Having seats out also give chance to clean the inner side & rails.
008.JPG
033.JPG

Gavs chance to blow out rear heater blower with HP air to clean fins also.
015.JPG
022.JPG

It's important for safety, that all four bolts are in place and torqued to 31ft-lbf.
042.JPG

Found a wire hidden behind carpet in PS frt foolwell.
Interior behind glove box (3)a.jpg

I decide to pull center console apart to trace wire and clean up spills from food and drinks.
025.JPG

Found it to be and Auto input jack.
011.JPG

Found two more aftermarket wires while in there.
One turned out to be rear GPS antenna.
035.JPG
The other a hookup for Sirus Radio
039.JPG

I continued pulling apart and cleaning inside the console.
The backplate doesn't need removing to pull console box, but makes getting wires & clip on back bottom disconnecting easier. The two screws must be remove first to do this.
Console assembly (8).JPG

043.JPG

045.JPG
These screws on both side do need removing.
023.JPG

Also the four bolts in bottom of box must be removed.
040.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom