68 FJ40 - Looking for Mechanic in Metro ATL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think he is looking to have someone help him work on it so he can learn how to do basic maintenance himself.

Work with or work for you?
I want to work with someone who can help me learn how to deal with the cruiser. I know very little about engines. I am happy to pay for the help. I live in Buckhead in Atlanta, but have cruiser, will travel in the metro area.

Thanks.

I want to work with someone who can help me learn how to deal with the cruiser. I know very little about engines. I am happy to pay for the help. I live in Buckhead in Atlanta, but have cruiser, will travel in the metro area.

Thanks.
Peter may be your best option here. Also, there’s a lot of shade tree mechanics in the area that work on their own cruisers and may be willing to give you a hand. I have found that’s a great way to learn if someone is willing to share some of their time with you. If your open to that you may want to post what kind of work you need to do and someone chime in if they can help.

I am looking for a mechanic to work with so I can learn about the engine. Any names would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Good objective on your part. I am assuming that your 68 FJ40 is original (F motor with single barrel carb, points/condenser, vacuum shifting of transfer, 3-on-the-tree, multi-cylinder drum brakes, ...) results in a fair amount of hands-on maintenance and care, which would be very efficient if you could complete yourself rather than dropping your truck off at the shop every month or so. Don't be surprised if all sources are a little rusty on our skills maintaining a 68. For example a few years back, Barry bought a mid-60s FJ45 and he wanted help setting the points/timing/idle. Even though I had done that on my first 40/tractors/other cars-trucks growing up but it had been a few decades since my last truck. So we spent a few hours in his drive way refreshing and reconnecting on exactly how to use the tools to get this done for such a simple truck. Don't be surprised if you wind up being the teacher too in this quest. Good luck

Peter Merriam just did a similar once-over on my 74 and gave me an honest evaluation of where it currently is mechanically and what I should prioritize / concentrate on going forward. Some I will do myself, some I'll bring back to Peter. Call him first and make an appointment.

760fc8ed80eeedde8633f8fa5e50ef0a.jpg

And I was just about to ask how things were going with the tater

Merriam Automotive, Duluth Georgia

Peter is a Toyota guy! He was personally restoring a FJ45 the last time I was in his shop. He also drives a FJ60 as his daily driver. He has done work for me in the past and is fare in price, uses quality OEM parts, warranties his work and does a solid job!

I would recommend him highly!

Matthew

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom