How many run in ECT/Power mode 100% (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No problem with that. Basically all ECT does is change the shift points to allow higher RPMs before up-shifting when you accelerate. I use it most of the time since my 35’s need the RPMs to hold HIGHER...for longer, since I still haven’t re-geared.

Not all the time. But when I'm towing, 100% of that time. It makes a meaningful difference for high load situations. Makes it easier to drive, as the throttle tip in is way more aggressive, and shift logic changes in that it holds shifts to higher rpms. I'd bet it also keep VVTi primed towards the power end of timings too.

To Markuson's point, mounting big tires also presents itself as higher loads to the driveline, and ECT/Power will help there too.

I remember in my LX470, which doesn't have as much power, it notably helped even for 33's. On my LX570 with 33's, it's a bit aggressive making modulating the throttle for smooth inputs still a bit edgy. There's been several occasions coming back from a towing trip, where I forget to turn it off after unhitching, and the wife is confused why it's so jumpy.

No problem in doing this. There is a hit to gas mileage though.

I leave it on almost all the time, with it activated the acceleration and shift points just “feel” right. I’m by no means a lead foot, actually a pretty tame driver, and am not turning big tires (285 65 18 KO2’s). As I said, just feels better....

Agree only downside is your pocketbook.

When you’re in a ECT/power mode does that deactivate hill assist function meaning when you take your foot off the brake your 200 will roll backwards if you’re on a hill and into the car behind you? But if your in normal mode the hill assist keeps your 200 series from rolling backwards?

I use it 100% of the time I've noticed my wife has turned it off. :)

I agree with @Tommy Dwyer that the shift points feel right and the throttle feels properly responsive with it enabled. I think Toyota engineered the vehicle with it enabled and then crippled it with "normal" mode to try to better comply with MPG or emissions. Actually wondering if that button exists in the 5.7L in other countries which don't give a crap about MPG or emissions.

OMG, I've never used it in my 1-2 months of ownership. I read this forum daily and no-one mentioned it until now.....UGGHHG, you're killing me, another button to push. I'll try on my commute next week and report back what you all already know.

I only use it when I want to beat a civic off the line... :) Definitely has more punch to it.

100% of the time, just feels right

I honestly have not tried it yet. I expect first time I turn it on will be when I am towing the boat so maybe 2 to 3 week from now. I only have about 1000 miles of driving time with my new to me used 2016 LC.
I am currently trying to see how good I can do mileage wise. I had one tank 19.1 mpg (Austin to Houston). Worst has been around town 17.3 mpg.

And when Im really feeling frisky, I go power mode AND Sport mode! Just slap that shifter to the left and leave it there. (I don't actually manually shift unless in mountains)

100% of the time.

I heard that if you turn it off, you'll be mistaken for a Highlander

There can be only one!

Highlander-header.jpg

Around town I leave it off. When I head up to the mountains or when I tow I leave it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom