How does the 100-series stack up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I realize the answers are going to biased because I would assume most on this forum love their vehicles. Just curious about your opinion of this model compared to other LC's. I have pretty much owned all of them at some point in my life. My wife has owned 2 FJ80 and currently drives a Sequoia with 350K on the clock. No issues! I am in the market to replace my trusty but dying Land Rover with another Toyota product, but can not make up my mind whether I want another 80 which have sky rocketed in price or move forward with the 100. So, does anyone have an opinion with regards to comparing the two? I like the idea of the v-8 for hauling not to mention you can get a lot more truck with the 100 for about the same price as a 400k 80. Mostly I want reliability with off road capability on the mild side....camping, fishing, etc. Are there any draw backs to the 100 that I should know about? Thanks in advance.

The 100 series is plenty capable off-road and MUCH better on road. The IFS provides a smooth ride when daily driving and traveling to the trails. The V8 give MUCH more power for passing and towing and is just flat out smoother. Little larger on the inside as well. The 100 just feels more civilized. The 80 has the solid front axle, sure. That does make it more capable off-road. But, the tradeoff to me didn't make sense. I've taken my 100 series over all the passes in CO, deep sand on South Padre Island and the rugged off-road trails in Big Bend. It has never let me down and I have never felt it wasn't capable of anything I put it up to.

I really like the 80 but I live a long way from any good off road areas. I like to be able to drive 85+ on the Interstate then turn off into the dirt and have a capable vehicle. The 100 works for my needs. If you have the luxury of having a dedicated trail rig your situation may be different.

Mostly I want reliability with off road capability on the mild side....camping, fishing, etc. Are there any draw backs to the 100 that I should know about? Thanks in advance.

Nothing, other than a continuation of the abysmal gas mileage you're familiar with.

+1
I was between an 80 and a 100 a couple years ago and went with the 100 because of the V8, much improved road manners with the IFS (mine does full time DD duty with a lot of highway), still super reliable, and still more than capable for what I would put it through.
Don't get me wrong, I do like the 80 and it definitely has the capable tank feel and is pretty comfortable for being a 20+ year old vehicle with a solid front axel but wouldn't be my first choice for all the time duty.
A lot of folks will hate on the 100 because of the IFS and its not a 200 but she gets the job done and would be more than happy to take mine across the country any day of the week... Not to mention there are still some real good goodies coming out for the 100 thanks to folks like @benc

The 100 will surprise you
Stock form they are very capable
mild build and they will eat up all trails except those you wouldn't even want to take an 80 on
Left foot brake control in a 100 is amazing !

I have had 80 and really liked them but love my 100
First cruiser I have owned for over 5 years

upload_2018-5-17_15-41-29.png

:rimshot:

Have the 80's really skyrocketed in price? Did this just recently happen or what's the deal with that?

My family has been driving three 80s and three 100s for quite a while. The 100s are the best.

From the standpoint of a DIYer who’s worked on both, I find the 100 much easier to wrench on.

Repair processes are much more straightforward on the 100, whereas on the 80 I had to remove a lot of other “stuff” to fix the stuff I needed to fix.

The 80 is a legend but I feel like the 100 is the best all-‘rounder.

From the standpoint of a DIYer who’s worked on both, I find the 100 much easier to wrench on.

Repair processes are much more straightforward on the 100, whereas on the 80 I had to remove a lot of other “stuff” to fix the stuff I needed to fix.

Until you have to replace the starter on the 2UZ-FE, which makes a starter replacement on the 1FZ-FE look like a "piece of cake"

Have the 80's really skyrocketed in price? Did this just recently happen or what's the deal with that?

Iconic body style with decreasing supply of trucks in a desired condition.

Until you have to replace the starter on the 2UZ-FE, which makes a starter replacement on the 1FZ-FE look like a "piece of cake"

It’s true. But even then, taking the manifold off is just a bunch of bolts. Took time, but wasn’t difficult.

Iconic body style with decreasing supply of trucks in a desired condition.
I feel like 100 series is classic as well. It screams Land Cruiser. The 200 is the departure.

The only downside to owning a 100 is people telling me ''sick sequoia''
That’s better then the “that’s one bada$$ highlander” that the 200 gets!

I will say this though. My next vehicle will be a 200. I want one real bad!

The only downside to owning a 100 is people telling me ''sick sequoia''

Think of the 40's guys and all the Jeep comments. I got my daughter to at least call them a "Not a Jeep"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom