New Metaltech front bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

“The Ghost Rider front bumper for the 200 Series Toyota Land Cruiser is the first full bull bar designed, engineered, and hand built in the USA.”

Umm... no, Trail Taylor wins that.

I’m not feeling it. I don’t like the fairlead that is just waiting to be damaged when climbing obstacles.

From a looks point of view, it looks like the main shell rides low, then the bar work is too tall. It doesn’t help the Highlander looking 200 at all, kinda doopy looking. I think my ARB looks way better, with the TJMs even better looking.

If it's anything like the other bumpers they make (errr subcontract out to a fabrication shop), it's not going to be exactly stout. Their GX bumpers that I've seen are pretty chintzy.

Also, the bumper corners are supposed to attach to the fender? Or something? The body moves an extraordinary amount in relation to frame over bumps. That isn't going to work.

"DOM-SRA"? Cool, what's the wall thickness?

And yeah, that fairlead location sucks. That'll be obliterated on shelves.

Last edited:
I give them props for making something for the 200, but I'm not a fan. It doesn't look nearly as beefy or strong as the ARB, TJM or TT, and it's more expensive to boot. It also doesn't look nearly as well finished, and I'm certain they haven't done any crash testing or certifications like ARB and TJM have. IMO they really missed the boat by making a less attractive, less strong, less tested bumper and then made it MORE expensive (yes I realize they're including a cheap light bar in the price, but it doesn't justify the premium).

EDIT - adding pics for comparison.

Look at how tiny the bull bar tubes look on the Metal Tech compared with the ARB:

mtech.JPG

1_XmURDKYSrwx9x-taa49hHA09HefnpRwg79Wu-qf7K58E4kMcvjOOupjPmnvxf5JVCwxkE6Zni2MnUpCVZlhNCxg-U0WVYU3ym-YVrbXGl4xJseSu73Tu3RIZ0x6ADLOti8OFsLjlGBtAHqCggJORoFerFcd9x5evFD9KGoiyj5xbU9ajeGlvvMk11O7he_7Zu34xKhhGGEv49p_TNt9m2Kdo6WmOqfqYQONwt4RuDiNO0FN7ZBlFjzlRzaCaH2bOb_znmd_K1TUZhbOBh2WI_s9lI1lXWK1kzwjL1Rc1nGaigOE2DdLSOBpcATZanpV_c_2qmFulqSVX5FoaGr8reFWvCjSQ_zEvo6Mbz3bNoHd_IqfZJhotfOcgjTiEMqbdUx5Wx0RDWzaBTlGfC4P7qO62WdlbRHo7L4S2ZbXlegplI6KWIqs12cEGbb0dSyxmEMAxkOBE1h0SR7CobdT4lhDp-0p1jQKWZ6Tu8T9r1iQ_Ar2OBeC79h46ZshQhvrbg4tyl8u0vMOMms13GcLeGrTs3bx5Kv0K5CPx6vt-nSA_QpX07bt-AZCPXnX2bbbf28HLQkEsEV3q5bEPbg6MaoWj6fsZrcmI9Hp0RPWpdqmTnfBNdx5DFD5QSSBU53GQWlPdQCtui4EC8O3oWj4PVw9XZiqB31=w1299-h974-no

Also look at how unfinished and unsupported it looks from the side compared with the ARB:

mtech2.JPG

aPit7Hl2M1R7U5qvo0ql2RAT3wSl-PYyue3waKh0xHrLfjxh5mYA_WvxncNU3c0Uu8RMMcHBBJT170gxUOVfDlUzTs7FrE-3yXBXd67XFASy-gAjmWnc8-81rA9QZhjL0qjXvUNFzxj2AUuWnBYGOxeRBuityLA2zw7J6RagTPovHpUie-v86gKNgy1VIhX9gX5dNLT5U_6teceYpAD7zLH6ee_3yoEEUa8AoE_2WGEAlUwQAYGUPVMP03oZ10GC26i5IU9IFdQubmlTVvXdtzGfbsb-fJjnns2L1E2oHzEAX2UT3-8zsZGcLb9jpyUyj8ydMs8aVaIMrGN56od7tJciTHs0admt6iCfzw89CKq8s1K_-lLfJL1_ESyfdFHMU-zBQE0CkLS25MJRVH_EWExBKw35qDWJjnwo-xgSehg0MZDuDkAvRBR-yURvgLIQwhgIMQB87HagLlsiG09iNIVFWFjJrDk1r2hZG2vD4HM_jq5qdT61s4fAB90M9kY7RH8gDkfsX4hclyKJoZ1EwxKb4IpwOG1IN-CEhJRQhkON0sMkGE3kk91ZzDsfZ1Ox4pJFo9MzcMX-3P9LxKlv-I4ewGYpbueULlMefhtPU09OiGCIF2IAZGjEmhYr6oLvWszC74Cb8MXXiBW_GbmDTvEzCqe0KnvG=w1299-h974-no

upload_2018-5-17_12-24-59.png

Last edited:
Maybe it's just the photos but it looks like it mounts over top of the existing bumper?

I give them props for making something for the 200, but I'm not a fan. It doesn't look nearly as beefy or strong as the ARB, TJM or TT, and it's more expensive to boot. It also doesn't look nearly as well finished, and I'm certain they haven't done any crash testing or certifications like ARB and TJM have. IMO they really missed the boat by making a less attractive, less strong, less tested bumper and then made it MORE expensive (yes I realize they're including a cheap light bar in the price, but it doesn't justify the premium).

EDIT - adding pics for comparison.

Look at how tiny the bull bar tubes look on the Metal Tech compared with the ARB:

View attachment 1702792

1_XmURDKYSrwx9x-taa49hHA09HefnpRwg79Wu-qf7K58E4kMcvjOOupjPmnvxf5JVCwxkE6Zni2MnUpCVZlhNCxg-U0WVYU3ym-YVrbXGl4xJseSu73Tu3RIZ0x6ADLOti8OFsLjlGBtAHqCggJORoFerFcd9x5evFD9KGoiyj5xbU9ajeGlvvMk11O7he_7Zu34xKhhGGEv49p_TNt9m2Kdo6WmOqfqYQONwt4RuDiNO0FN7ZBlFjzlRzaCaH2bOb_znmd_K1TUZhbOBh2WI_s9lI1lXWK1kzwjL1Rc1nGaigOE2DdLSOBpcATZanpV_c_2qmFulqSVX5FoaGr8reFWvCjSQ_zEvo6Mbz3bNoHd_IqfZJhotfOcgjTiEMqbdUx5Wx0RDWzaBTlGfC4P7qO62WdlbRHo7L4S2ZbXlegplI6KWIqs12cEGbb0dSyxmEMAxkOBE1h0SR7CobdT4lhDp-0p1jQKWZ6Tu8T9r1iQ_Ar2OBeC79h46ZshQhvrbg4tyl8u0vMOMms13GcLeGrTs3bx5Kv0K5CPx6vt-nSA_QpX07bt-AZCPXnX2bbbf28HLQkEsEV3q5bEPbg6MaoWj6fsZrcmI9Hp0RPWpdqmTnfBNdx5DFD5QSSBU53GQWlPdQCtui4EC8O3oWj4PVw9XZiqB31=w1299-h974-no

Also look at how unfinished and unsupported it looks from the side compared with the ARB:

View attachment 1702794

aPit7Hl2M1R7U5qvo0ql2RAT3wSl-PYyue3waKh0xHrLfjxh5mYA_WvxncNU3c0Uu8RMMcHBBJT170gxUOVfDlUzTs7FrE-3yXBXd67XFASy-gAjmWnc8-81rA9QZhjL0qjXvUNFzxj2AUuWnBYGOxeRBuityLA2zw7J6RagTPovHpUie-v86gKNgy1VIhX9gX5dNLT5U_6teceYpAD7zLH6ee_3yoEEUa8AoE_2WGEAlUwQAYGUPVMP03oZ10GC26i5IU9IFdQubmlTVvXdtzGfbsb-fJjnns2L1E2oHzEAX2UT3-8zsZGcLb9jpyUyj8ydMs8aVaIMrGN56od7tJciTHs0admt6iCfzw89CKq8s1K_-lLfJL1_ESyfdFHMU-zBQE0CkLS25MJRVH_EWExBKw35qDWJjnwo-xgSehg0MZDuDkAvRBR-yURvgLIQwhgIMQB87HagLlsiG09iNIVFWFjJrDk1r2hZG2vD4HM_jq5qdT61s4fAB90M9kY7RH8gDkfsX4hclyKJoZ1EwxKb4IpwOG1IN-CEhJRQhkON0sMkGE3kk91ZzDsfZ1Ox4pJFo9MzcMX-3P9LxKlv-I4ewGYpbueULlMefhtPU09OiGCIF2IAZGjEmhYr6oLvWszC74Cb8MXXiBW_GbmDTvEzCqe0KnvG=w1299-h974-no

View attachment 1702793

I'd be surprised if there was any substantial (or any at all) bracing in the wings.

“The Ghost Rider front bumper for the 200 Series Toyota Land Cruiser is the first full bull bar designed, engineered, and hand built in the USA.”

As well as CBI.

Last edited:
Metal-tech 4x4 has been a member of the TLCA since well before MT was a compnay. 1991. (They use the owners ID #) We have also been supporting Mud since the very beginning Woody opened it up to manufacturers. Sponsoring TLCA events accross the US for the past 18yrs.

We decided to make a ground up 200 bumper. Full 3D scan and built custom including the custom bending to get the bull bar look we have requests for. Any bumper we offer, its not 1 off only to be offered to a few. We spend a large investment to do the design work, testing and production. Of course it's all speculative for the 200 community, like any products we make. Like our lower links we designed and stock that have been copied by other companies, but we continue to offer for 200's.

I am disappointed to see TonyP's very negative comments. Tony I have 3 full time production employees that would beg to differ your 100% incorrect comments that our parts are not built in house. For 18yrs we have built our parts in house, to say other wise is 100% false information. The 9 full time employees at Metal-tech 4x4 work very hard to provide the best products and service accross the US. Exclusively Toyota/Lexus 4x4's since day one.

As for your opinion on our GX bumper, that is unfortunately you feel that way. I feel it's one of the best performing products on the market for GX's for front bumper solutions. I also own a GX470 and have used it all over the US, love that thing.

As for questions on the new 200 bumper:

Yes the corner of the bumper has a slot to allow mounting the plastic inner fender liner. (Not the steel fender) Our test truck had 2 different versions on it and the plastic was cut back to where we could not attach it for the production version so it's not like that in the photo.

Tubing is 1.75 x 0.095 wall. Perfict ballance of strength and lightweight.

If it's anything like the other bumpers they make (errr subcontract out to a fabrication shop), it's not going to be exactly stout. Their GX bumpers that I've seen are pretty chintzy.

Also, the bumper corners are supposed to attach to the fender? Or something? The body moves an extraordinary amount in relation to frame over bumps. That isn't going to work.

"DOM-SRA"? Cool, what's the wall thickness?

And yeah, that fairlead location sucks. That'll be obliterated on shelves.

Mark Hawley
Founding Owner
Metal-tech 4x4

In all fairness they offer a stage 1 without any lights for $1,999.95.

I'd like to see this bumper without the bull bar tubes.

edit.. yeah the more I look at the photos I think an option without the bull bar tubes might be a winner.

Last edited:
I am disappointed to see TonyP's very negative comments. Tony I have 3 full time production employees that would beg to differ your 100% incorrect comments that our parts are not built in house. For 18yrs we have built our parts in house, to say other wise is 100% false information. The 9 full time employees at Metal-tech 4x4 work very hard to provide the best products and service accross the US. Exclusively Toyota/Lexus 4x4's since day one.

As for your opinion on our GX bumper, that is unfortunately you feel that way. I feel it's one of the best performing products on the market for GX's for front bumper solutions. I also own a GX470 and have used it all over the US, love that thing.

Which is why I put "errr" as in, "or", as in "possibly".
As for my other comments, I stand by them as well.

Andrew White seemed to think the GX bumpers weren't stout either, but ok. We'll have to disagree here.

As for questions on the new 200 bumper:

Yes the corner of the bumper has a slot to allow mounting the plastic inner fender liner. (Not the steel fender) Our test truck had 2 different versions on it and the plastic was cut back to where we could not attach it for the production version so it's not like that in the photo.

The plastic fender liner, which is attached to the metal fender. That'll be ripped off with body vs frame deflection.

Tubing is 1.75 x 0.095 wall. Perfict ballance of strength and lightweight.

I disagree.

How about the fairlead location and the claim of the first 200 series bumper in the US?

As well as CBI.

CBI did a couple one-offs IIRC but I don't think they actually sell them.

TT has (well had, now that he sold the design) a production bumper though so I'd say Metaltech is officially at least #2

For anyone looking for info about Metal-tech 4x4 Here is a 60 second video:
(It even shows that elusive Metal-tech 4x4 fabrication area!)

Tony - Not my first rodeo, I have been on mud since 02, Pirate well before that. No gain in arguing on the internet, I know you want it and will continue. However I do this for a living as does my staff. It's not just a hobby, things are built specifically for use and purpose based on actual trail experience. Your credibility ended with the assumption post we did not produce our own parts. This also explains some of your questions. As for Andrew St. Pierre, he he he I welcome anyone to ask for the story on him and why he went negative on MT4x4 and Ironman 4x4. That was a 100% no win situation out of the gate we walked right into. Others in the industry tried warning us about him before, then after shared their experiences. There was only 5 pepole on the Oregon section of his "US Tour". Myself or Dennis were the only two not related or employed by him, who guided the expidention. Either of us would be happy to share about the "St. Pierre's experience". Seperate thread for sure or at any of the events in person, just ask us. He is quite the filmmaker for sure.

If anyone has actual questions they wish to ask by all mean reach out to our staff in Oregon. Better yet if your going to be at OverLand Expo West this weekend, stop by booth #Q42 to see it in person, poke it and ask questions. It just got off the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route, with some of Oregon's mixed in on a 6 day trip down to Expo in AZ along with our 2017 4R.

See anyone at Expo! Tell me you saw this thread and I will make sure you get a Metal-tech 4x4 patch for your truck.

Mark

one of the many things I love about this forum, you never know when the vendors will chime in.
See you on Sunday!
looking forward to seeing this in person.

Tony - Not my first rodeo, I have been on mud since 02, Pirate well before that. No gain in arguing on the internet, I know you want it and will continue. However I do this for a living as does my staff. It's not just a hobby, things are built specifically for use and purpose based on actual trail experience. Your credibility ended with the assumption post we did not produce our own parts. This also explains some of your questions. As for Andrew St. Pierre, he he he I welcome anyone to ask for the story on him and why he went negative on MT4x4 and Ironman 4x4. That was a 100% no win situation out of the gate we walked right into. Others in the industry tried warning us about him before, then after shared their experiences. There was only 5 pepole on the Oregon section of his "US Tour". Myself or Dennis were the only two not related or employed by him, who guided the expidention. Either of us would be happy to share about the "St. Pierre's experience". Seperate thread for sure or at any of the events in person, just ask us. He is quite the filmmaker for sure.

I'm not arguing. I'm asking you to explain your product's design and it's (misleading) marketing material. I don't know what "use and purpose" these are built for or what "actual trail experience" these were designed for, unless that's a logging road. If that's the case, cool. But from my experience, it doesn't look like it'll perform as well as other options.

Since you're attacking my credibility; your credibily ended when you won't answer criticisms and feedback regarding your product. Especially when a statement your website is a blatant lie. Again, for the second time, I never clearly stated you didn't produce your own products in-house. Merely that it was a possibily. I don't understand how that explains some of my questions either. My questions are bred from experience, actual experince. I don't want fellow 200 owners to buy a product and be disappointed they spent $2500 on a bumper only to have it be a subpar product. Not saying yours is subpar. I just want clarification on issues. But I guess these aren't "actual questions"

If it was a no-win situation, why give him the vehicle plastered with your products? Contrary to popular belief, not all publicity is good publicity

More options is more better. More options for the LX570 would be even MORE better. @helocat did you include the LX570 in you development for this bumper?

CBI did a couple one-offs IIRC but I don't think they actually sell them.

TT has (well had, now that he sold the design) a production bumper though so I'd say Metaltech is officially at least #2

It is the first full Bull Bar for the 200 Series made in the USA available for sale. Never did we say it was just the first "front bumper". ;)

Please come and see it in person at Overland Expo West booth Q42. We would be happy to answer any questions and show you every detail. :)

Thanks!

-Chris

@helocat will you guys have any of these as NWOR this summer?
Yes the 200 with our bumper is planning to be there in some form or fashion. We will keep you updated. Thanks!
one of the many things I love about this forum, you never know when the vendors will chime in.
See you on Sunday!
looking forward to seeing this in person.

Absolutely! Come by our booth Q42 and introduce yourself, love to meet you guys!

-Chris

CBIs was still "designed, engineered, and hand built in the USA."
I haven't seen that CBI ever made a bull bar for the LC. The Overland Exp bumper they made was not a bull bar bumper.

Trail Tailor made a full bull bar? I know he made a bumper, didn't see a full bull bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom