Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill on 2011 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fzj80 1997

SILVER Star
Threads
I took my LX570 to the Lexus dealership today to have its transmission fluid and AHC fluid replaced. An hour later the service person called to tell me that the transmission was sealed and did not need to ever have its fluid replaced. I specifically remember reading about a 200 series Land Cruiser with the 5.7 getting its transmission fluid replaced at the Toyota dealership. Whats the deal?

They’re full of it. There is a drain plug on the pan and a filler plug on the side. Normally a drain and refill is about 3.5 to 4 quarts. Full exchange I believe is 12 qt.

Find another dealer, I wouldn’t want to them doing an oil change.

Or a transmission shop.

There is an excellent thread here from last summer started by @NLScooby with a detailed video that shows you how to do a complete flush. Yes, the factory line on this from Toyota/Lexus is that the WS fluid is "Lifetime" but I think it's crazy. My tranny (2011 LC, 110K miles) started acting up last fall, stuttering and acting weird, so I took it to a dealer and had the fluid exchanged and a new screen installed, and it totally cured the problem, it ran incredibly smooth after that. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. I just didn't have the time to do it myself.

Is the 100,000 miles mark for the transmission fluid change for the lx? Is that most members do the transmission fluid change? Toyota dealer has quoted 299 for the full transmission fluid exchange?

I had my mechanic do a drain and fill as well as change the trans filter at 60k miles. Fairly easy job except for one bolt holding the transmission pan that was seized. Any competent toyota mechanic should be able to handle this.

$300 for the full fluid exchange is probably reasonable. It's an hour of book labor, so about $125, plus the going rate for fluid is about $10 per quart, so another $120 there. I'm sure the dealer charges MSRP or more for the fluid.

There is an excellent thread here from last summer started by @NLScooby with a detailed video that shows you how to do a complete flush. Yes, the factory line on this from Toyota/Lexus is that the WS fluid is "Lifetime" but I think it's crazy. My tranny (2011 LC, 110K miles) started acting up last fall, stuttering and acting weird, so I took it to a dealer and had the fluid exchanged and a new screen installed, and it totally cured the problem, it ran incredibly smooth after that. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. I just didn't have the time to do it myself.

Video thread
Complete Transmission Flush DIY - VIDEO

I did a drain and fill on my 08 recently and it cured the erratic shifting I was having at 120k. Shifts much smoother now. Just about 3.5 qts.

Keep in mind a drain and fill is very different than a complete fluid exchange.

Amazing how many different opinions there are for a transmission drain & fill or full transmission fluid exchange.

Lexus dealership...no we don't do any transmission fluid changes or full fluid exchanges.

Two independent shops who specialize in toyota/lexus

One independent toyota/lexus shop stated that they drain the fluid out and then clean the screen. They put the same fluid back in.

Another independent shop stated, we only do drain and fill if you are having issues.

Last edited:
Sounds like there are two opinions. Drain and fill or complete exchange.

Most shops won't fiddle with ATF exchange or drain/fills due to liability. If it ain't broke, type of thing. If the second guys are putting the actual same fluid back in, that's a little wacky. Not unheard of for both cost and potential clutch pack damage mitigation. Blasting new fluid in there can shock the clutch packs, or so I've been told. The automatic transmission is basically witchcraft anyways.

One independent toyota/lexus shop stated that they drain the fluid out and then clean the screen. They put the same fluid back in.

OK, new to the LC200, but not life, so this one is plain old crazy. Why in gods name would you save the old fluid to reuse it. Sure it costs $$, but it's not Starbucks expensive....wow.

OK, new to the LC200, but not life, so this one is plain old crazy. Why in gods name would you save the old fluid to reuse it. Sure it costs $$, but it's not Starbucks expensive....wow.

I was surprised by that comment. At first I thought i was not understanding when she told me that they reuse the same fluids that drained out. So i had ask again.

Sounds like there are two opinions. Drain and fill or complete exchange.

Most shops won't fiddle with ATF exchange or drain/fills due to liability. If it ain't broke, type of thing. If the second guys are putting the actual same fluid back in, that's a little wacky. Not unheard of for both cost and potential clutch pack damage mitigation. Blasting new fluid in there can shock the clutch packs, or so I've been told. The automatic transmission is basically witchcraft anyways.

This will be my first toyota/lexus product. We have a couple of Acuras. One is a manual transmission. MTF is drain and filled every 30k miles. Our six speed automatic transmission mdx is drain and filled every 15k miles. My independent mechanic states fluids are cheap in comparing to replacement or rebuild transmissions. However, honda/acura are not known for reliable transmissions.

Sure it costs $$, but it's not Starbucks expensive....wow.

Uh... ~$14 a quart for WS fluid, ya it is about the same as a Starbucks latte. :eek:

Still... putting the old stuff back in, that's nuts.

Question for those who have done the drain and refill. Did you just measure amount of fluid drained and replaced the same amount? Also, is the refill plug obvious, any tips on location before I get under there would be appreciated.

The FSM states 2.2 quarts for a pan/filter removal but you should verify when draining to see how much comes out.

The fill is on the driver's side on the transmission body.

8VbAKmF.png

Jkn13zG.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom