Builds The Rushing Turdle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was tired of fiddling around with the Trollhole carb
I missed that you were having issues. Starting to think I ought to grab a racer too.

Racer had worked flawlessly for me. After the valve adjustment I am very pleased. Has Japan stamped right on the carb. Side dump for exhaust is nice. Too bad for me there's a GIANT RUST HOLE that lets all the pleasant aromas enter the cabin. Still haven't followed up with you to confirm I have those mudflaps for the white one.

Travis.

I missed that you were having issues. Starting to think I ought to grab a racer too.
Fel, My truck ran okay. I have had a couple of different carbs on it over the last few years. Each one had it's own little issues that I could never quite straighten out. Nothing huge. This last TH carb didn't like cycling to the secondary circuit. It's almost like it sucked vacuum as it transitioned from primary to secondary and it lost power. If I kept my foot in it, it did okay. I just got tired of driving around the nitpicky issues and decided to try the Racer carb. I like it. You will too.

Racer had worked flawlessly for me. After the valve adjustment I am very pleased. Has Japan stamped right on the carb. Side dump for exhaust is nice. Too bad for me there's a GIANT RUST HOLE that lets all the pleasant aromas enter the cabin. Still haven't followed up with you to confirm I have those mudflaps for the white one.

Travis.

You and your flawlessly running truck are what convinced me to go the Racer carb route. I'm a convert now. Thanks! As for the flaps, I got a pair from your Relic Run neighbor, Patrick. No worries.

Come on now, the heater core did go tits up Friday morning. Quick bypass that is still in place btw. I was pleasantly surprised it ran as well as it did. Looking forward to seeing you at another event soon.

T.

The Turd and its siblings:

IMG_1701[1].JPG

I am in awe. Nathan has such an awesome collection of such amazing vehicles.

I had been hearing a whining noise in the rear end of the Turdle whenever I was on / off the throttle. I did a little investigation and determined that the pinion bearing in the rear diff was on its way out. A couple of years ago I had to get into the rear diff to pull the C-clips and axles for an axle seal refresh and at that time I fought with a broken carrier cross pin. This time, same thing. Evidently the shock of the pinion moving around with the bad bearing continues to break the carrier pin. This time I was not able to extract the broken off pin. I had to cut into the carrier with a grinder to get the pin so that I could pull the clips and remove the diff. Rather than try to find a new carrier for my 3.70 diff, I decided to pull an entire 4.10 diff unit out of my parts stash. The rear went in with little fanfare and I'm really happy with the 4.10 gear. With 33's, it feels a lot peppier than before. I didn't take any pics of the work on the rear of the truck.

I only had one 4.10 diff in my parts stash and something had to be done with the front diff to match the gear ratio. A friend of mine (thanks, @Roxx) offered me a spare 80 series rear diff from a parts truck he had. I am in the process of installing the 80 rear diff in the front of the Turdle.

80 series diff pinion flange being prepared to re-drill to match the 60 pattern. Thanks Johnny @GLTHFJ60 for the drilling advice. It worked out great.
IMG_2226[1].JPG

Drilling done
IMG_2225[1].JPG

Front knuckle tear down.
IMG_2224[1].JPG

Old 3.70 front diff removed.
IMG_2227[1].JPG

Last edited:
Shake down run went well. Wheels did not fall off. Drove around the yard in 4Lo. Everything is copacetic. I’m going to call this regear project a wrap. Next up, prep for Carolina Relic Run!

87601DE4-7C4B-4E6D-B232-21E2514F86C5.jpeg

Sweet! But no lockers?
Yeah, funny thing....I was not planning to do any of this re-gear work. I used what I had on hand and, unfortunately, a locker (or lockers) were parts I didn’t have handy. Also, I did this job under a time constraint. You see, there’s this little thing called Carolina Relic Run that, come hell or high water, this truck had to be able to attend. CRR starts tomorrow and the Turd will be there...open/open.

Carolina Relic Run 2019 was a success! Good people. Good fun. Lots of great old trucks. The Turdle did its job as it always does.

34CF8C20-1A4E-4E26-85D3-83BD5AC01F40.jpeg
97A58662-43BF-4C0F-8C0B-742500C61536.jpeg
9C24EE18-0EAE-4F5C-BDB6-808A1602F41E.jpeg
1DC6B06D-4C6F-49EE-8F52-632192149853.jpeg
43085F2E-3EAF-4E78-AE2F-4FCD57F3620D.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom