7x Series Minor and Major Changes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Useful specification information and has exact dates for all changes to the 7x from 1984 through current.

This information should put to bed many things that are "unknown" or consistently discussed incorrectly here.

The information here is directly from the proverbial "horse's mouth." First portion is the Chief Engineer's design concepts as well as working parameters for the development of the next generation 40 series (which is basically what the 70 series was when it was introduced).

The information below includes all heavy duty as well as medium/light duty 7x models for the JDM as well as export markets.

fullsizeoutput_52cb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_52ce.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_52cc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_52cd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_52cf.jpeg

As I've stated many times about why Toyota changes things: it's either all about weight savings (thus improved fuel economy) or cost savings. That's it. Every interview I have read with the 3 Chief Engineers about the 7x have stated that everything is about fuel economy and lower overall development, production and after sales support costs.

(thus improved fuel economy) .......

Let's see, years ago the fuel economy of a Land Cruiser sucked. Today the fuel economy of a Land Cruiser sucks.
Perhaps Toyota needs to revisit that portion of their mission statement. :)

Incremental gains is the name of that game! I can't wait for a diesel electric hybrid 70 series.

Also, interesting to see the 1PZ was used until 94.....and I'm really glad the "rustproof steel" that rusted around my windshield was replaced:hmm:

Let's see, years ago the fuel economy of a Land Cruiser sucked. Today the fuel economy of a Land Cruiser sucks.

Speed limits and driving habits and patterns were significantly different in 1984 vs 2018.

In 1985 a Land Cruiser most likely averaged 12-15 mpg while unleaded gasoline averaged about $1.12-$1.15 per gallon.
Today a Land Cruiser averages about the same fuel economy while unleaded gasoline is in the $2.80ish range.
So in 33 years the average increased by a value of zero and yes I realize Toyota isn't alone in the criteria and I'm only referring to the U.S. market.

Last edited:

Speaking from a US perspective only, A LC today has a 5.7L....in 1985...it was what? 2F 6-banger?.....

Also, interesting to see the 1PZ was used until 94.....

The 1PZ sure did have a short production run. Makes finding any 1PZ specific parts rather difficult sadly.

The 1PZ sure did have a short production run. Makes finding any 1PZ specific parts rather difficult sadly.
Does the 1PZ and the 1HZ not have a lot of parts in common?

"a lot" depends on the person you are asking I guess...but in my opinion I don't think so. I don't have enough exposure to a 1HZ to make that call though.

Correct. None of the "spin-ey parts" are interchangeable but the accessories, individual valve train and timing components are the same. In my short ownership I've been able to find everything needed easily.

Toyota likes Australia.
I remember when the 75 series first come out, it got rave reviews as far as comfort, but the lack of power for the diesels was still a let down. If only they had got the 12HT.

Not the important stuff thats related to engine length. Engines Australia sell pistons , rings, and bearing individually, so you can still get a PZ rebuild kit without having to buy a 1HZ kit

But $1.12 in 1985 dollars is $2.74 is 2018 dollars
Please don't alter my otherwise entertaining post with facts or logic. :)

The head, block, crank, cam, valve cover, flywheel, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold are different. I think that about covers the differences. Everything else is the same. So while there are lots of similarities, there are also lots of differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom