Headlight conversion 7” round (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And my comment still stands at $500 (plus shipping) on cheap lights.

I doubt most of those cheap lights are actually sae/DOT legal. Even some of the spendier ones might not be. While that may not be an issue for some, others, especially those that get yearly inspections may need that.

Good Projector lights for 80 series are cheaper? Is there a good selection of them? DEPO lights seem to be hard to find and certainly spendy. If there aren't enough people going to order these, then I am interested in other options, but I am not looking for angel eyes/helo type lights as they aren't my style, and it has been pretty hard for me to find some that look like they are good quality. I did notice that 7" round headlight is the most common of all headlight sizes.

Since I live in the USA, if I get a set of lights from any large retailer that advertises SAE/DOT but the product doesn't meet that, then I can hold them responsible for misleading me. I get annoyed at all the "Fog"lights out there that are really flood lights, but if I order a set advertised as SAE/DOT complaint and they aren't, I make my voice very clear in reviews and require the issue to be fixed.

Good Projector lights for 80 series are cheaper? Is there a good selection of them? DEPO lights seem to be hard to find and certainly spendy. If there aren't enough people going to order these, then I am interested in other options, but I am not looking for angel eyes/helo type lights as they aren't my style, and it has been pretty hard for me to find some that look like they are good quality. I did notice that 7" round headlight is the most common of all headlight sizes.

Since I live in the USA, if I get a set of lights from any large retailer that advertises SAE/DOT but the product doesn't meet that, then I can hold them responsible for misleading me. I get annoyed at all the "Fog"lights out there that are really flood lights, but if I order a set advertised as SAE/DOT complaint and they aren't, I make my voice very clear in reviews and require the issue to be fixed.

I always build my own projectors when I want good quality stuff. It's not that hard. I order "kits" from theretrofitsource.com and go for it.

theretrofitsource.com and go for it.
You and ZeGerman have mentioned them now. I may need to see that as a sign. I wouldn't mind making a set of my own.

You and ZeGerman have mentioned them now. I may need to see that as a sign. I wouldn't mind making a set of my own.

I've made 3 different sets for different vehicles now and I've never had a bad experience with their stuff. You're going to pay for what you get but it is very good quality lighting.

I think anyone scoffing at the price should go design, prototype, cut, bend, weld, paint and install hardware for their own headlight mounts. Then, figure out how much the time and materials cost them. Dante should add another level in his inferno for complaininers about prices for custom niche market products.

I think anyone scoffing at the price should go design, prototype, cut, bend, weld, paint and install hardware for their own headlight mounts. Then, figure out how much the time and materials cost them. Dante should add another level in his inferno for complaininers about prices for custom niche market products.

I didn't realize giving a valid reason why orders aren't piling in would cause such butthurt.

As I said before, I love the design and know money has to be made but it's just too much for my taste, and clearly many others.. Again I still love the design and know it takes time and money to make this. Nobody is taking that away from OP.

I didn't realize giving a valid reason why orders aren't piling in would cause such butthurt.

As I said before, I love the design and know money has to be made but it's just too much for my taste, and clearly many others.. Again I still love the design and know it takes time and money to make this. Nobody is taking that away from OP.

I wasn't calling you out specifically, this is just starting to look like a common scenario.

"Hey guys, I'm trying to custom build this idea I have, and want to know what kind of interest there is for it" - builder

"Omg, i need this in my life, put me on the list. Any updates? Are they available yet?" - the internet.

"Yup, all done they're going to cost $xxxx to build and sell more, who's in?" - builder

*crickets*

I wasn't calling you out specifically, this is just starting to look like a common scenario.

"Hey guys, I'm trying to custom build this idea I have, and want to know what kind of interest there is for it" - builder

"Omg, i need this in my life, put me on the list. Any updates? Are they available yet?" - the internet.

"Yup, all done they're going to cost $xxxx to build and sell more, who's in?" - builder

*crickets*

I understand that. I've done the same and gotten the same response. At least the OP has something unique that nobody else has. It sure does look awesome.

*crickets*

Well sure... That’s always going to be the caveat when someone says they want something like this. If the price were disclosed at the onset like a typical buyer-seller scenario this wouldn’t come up. Just the nature of the beast. I feel that if the price point were lower he would much more easily receive 10 orders. Economy of scale and all that, you know. Not saying that’s possible in this case but that is one way to get price point down.

For those of us that don't log in regularly...did this go from 'hey we finally have a price' to 'we won't be making them' in the span of less than a week?

Well sure... That’s always going to be the caveat when someone says they want something like this. If the price were disclosed at the onset like a typical buyer-seller scenario this wouldn’t come up. Just the nature of the beast. I feel that if the price point were lower he would much more easily receive 10 orders. Economy of scale and all that, you know. Not saying that’s possible in this case but that is one way to get price point down.

not necassarily, I have seen this happen even with a general pricing range setup before hand, people always say they want something until they have to reach into their wallet and pay, then they may dissapear. Kind of like selling something on craigslist and the guy just does not show up.

Yup 80 crowd is a finicky one. However I do wish OP did a better job at execution of the product, the end product really didn't have the 60 series look or even land rover classic look. Honestly it looked funny to me especially with stock 80 grill. Had he done a full grill/front end then he has better ability to make it look just like a 60 or close but with a modern flare grill. Something about it just doesn't look right.

I don't think it's only money, I was a little put off by the price but more put off by the end product to be honest. Sadly a lot of effort went into it, so close yet so far.

I guess I really don't mind the look, I'd probably paint them to match body color so they blend in better.

As others have mentioned a $1-200 7" headlight would be awesome to toss in there. I'm still down to put in an order but it isn't clear if that's even an option at this point?

Thank you everyone. I can appreciate everyone’s honesty, finally. I haven’t heard much criticism until now. :D

I agree, they look a little odd to me also, and I have been thinking of other design options. Working with steel is limiting when there are multiple bends though. Although I do believe there are a few reasons they look strange, in my opinion.
1. The vehicle color in my photos was white and had a chrome grille and didn’t look right with the black lights.
2. The gloss black aerosol paint looks bad.
3. They are a new look, and people aren’t familiar with the style.

Not defending my design at all, just trying to look at it realistically because it is new, and different. I’m looking at altering the design and adding a 1” running light (I finally found one). That might help. The really hard part is done and everything fits nicely, now I can tweak things.

I was never trying to replicate the 60 series, although I love the 60, that was not my goal. Flex did a great job doing their 60 look on the 80 and 100 but I don’t have the resources to do anything like that, nor do I want to ever copy their stuff.

I never said I would not build these, I just need to make it work financially, and that might take some time. I’m working with the laser shop to see if I can get these down to $300 a set. The new steel pricing doesn’t help, but not really a big problem yet.

Again, thanks to everyone for the honesty. This buisinees is a hobby more than anything. I build the grilles and do this because it’s fun, it’s not my job. I make a little money but not enough to justify my time (ask my wife)!!!

It has a broken wing so I decided to make it garage art. I forget it’s there until it shows up in pictures.
Quack, Quack, Quack, lol

Thank you everyone. I can appreciate everyone’s honesty, finally. I haven’t heard much criticism until now. :D

I agree, they look a little odd to me also, and I have been thinking of other design options. Working with steel is limiting when there are multiple bends though. Although I do believe there are a few reasons they look strange, in my opinion.
1. The vehicle color in my photos was white and had a chrome grille and didn’t look right with the black lights.
2. The gloss black aerosol paint looks bad.
3. They are a new look, and people aren’t familiar with the style.

Not defending my design at all, just trying to look at it realistically because it is new, and different. I’m looking at altering the design and adding a 1” running light (I finally found one). That might help. The really hard part is done and everything fits nicely, now I can tweak things.

I was never trying to replicate the 60 series, although I love the 60, that was not my goal. Flex did a great job doing their 60 look on the 80 and 100 but I don’t have the resources to do anything like that, nor do I want to ever copy their stuff.

I never said I would not build these, I just need to make it work financially, and that might take some time. I’m working with the laser shop to see if I can get these down to $300 a set. The new steel pricing doesn’t help, but not really a big problem yet.

Again, thanks to everyone for the honesty. This buisinees is a hobby more than anything. I build the grilles and do this because it’s fun, it’s not my job. I make a little money but not enough to justify my time (ask my wife)!!!
I was skeptical at first but when i saw the finished product. I would say it looks awesome. Its true that the presentation wasn't the best. Maybe thats why people think its odd but with a dark 80, It might look better. It might blend well with an 80 with clear corner light vs the amber. I really like your design and hoping for this products success so one day i can buy it when the time comes. Thank you for developing great products for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom