Should I get All Terrain Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no complaints about the BFG KO2s in E rating, but my truck is heavier than stock. If you're going to get new tires, I'd go bigger than the 65 aspect, and get the 275/70/18s, I think tires are like TVs, you always wish you got the bigger ones after you purchase them! The change in ride, gas mileage etc is negligible and they look better (IMHO) and probably perform slightly better off road. If you are willing to scour the internet for deals, and then go to a place like Town Fair Tire that price matches, you can save hundreds of dollars, I saved a few hundred doing that. But make sure they really balance them well, some places struggle with bigger tires and do the balancing by throwing a lot of weights on, rather than moving them around and you end up with a lot of vibration

Nitto terra graps, last set i had ran over 60k miles, only time i got stuck can be viewed in my profile pic. Great onroad manners, minimal noise, great ride, and great offroad.

Just stop your search and go with Yokohama G015 AT in 275/65/18. Trust me on this.

I also went with the Yokohama G015 in P275/65/18. I can't compare them to other tires, but after extensive research (which consisted of a rigorous amount of google searching :lol:), I am happy with my decision and they've been great in wet, dry and snow. I can't compare them to other tires, but they ticked all the boxes for me which include price, availability, snow flake certified, tread wear, solid reviews, quiet and good on and off pavement.

I visually compared them to LT275/70/18 KO2's side by side before having them installed and the BFG's definitely look more aggressive/tough. I was very tempted to go with the BFG's, but ultimately decided on the G015. Another tire to consider is the General Grabber 2 which has a similar looking tread to the KO2's, but you can get them in a P metric 275/65/18. The KO2's are all LT tires.

Yep, I think I'm going to stick with SL. I keep forgetting I won't be driving over huuuuuuge pointy rocks.

Hey, you guys are all awesome! I really appreciate all the feedback and value all your opinions!

Would you consider used rims and wheels from Craigslist if the price was right? What about after-market rims?

Note: removed references to a set listed on CL to keep this thread on topic.

Last edited:
I just looked at those exact rims on Tire rack. Per the specs they should fit fine. I'd try and get the tire/rim setup for $700 or so, I think they're not offering a big enough discount for used tires and rims. Make sure that they include the lugnuts as it is likely that those take a different style of lugs than your factory lug nuts. If not, count on spending ~$50 for appropriate lugs.

I'm not a big fan of aftermarket rims, that's just me – I think Toyota got just about everything right on the 100, rims included (understated, simple, don't draw too much attention to themselves). Also, I don't trust used tires, especially with my family in the vehicle. I'll throw in yet another vote for the Continentals (and yes, I know I'm the only one on this forum running them).

Given my driving expectations, I will likely end up with a set, too. We can be Conti buddies!

I'm not a big fan of aftermarket rims, that's just me – I think Toyota got just about everything right on the 100, rims included (understated, simple, don't draw too much attention to themselves). Also, I don't trust used tires, especially with my family in the vehicle. I'll throw in yet another vote for the Continentals (and yes, I know I'm the only one on this forum running them).

Last edited:
I wrestled around with this for months. IN the end, I went with the BFG K02 in the stock size (16) and honestly- they're quiet (a little louder than my Michelins) and very capable tires. Extremely happy with my choice to go A/T with the K02, they really are every bit as good as everyone says they are.

Not sure what the toyota dealerships are like in your area, but in a few different parts of the country a lot of the dealerships will "upgrade" new tundra's with some tacky aftermarket rims and tires, often leaving the factory take off's behind for a cash profit for the parts department- i.e. the exact size Michelin Ltx at's that you want for potentially half the cost,

Hey, you guys are all awesome! I really appreciate all the feedback and value all your opinions!

I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist and noticed someone has a set of 4 Kumho Road Venture AT51 (275 65 18) for sale, mounted on rims, asking $995. The tread looks in good condition, and I'm digging the color of the rims. I don't know much about these Kumho A/Ts, yet, but anything should be better for off-road than my current Latitutes? Then I could potentially use the current rims for dedicated winter tires. Thoughts?

They are listed as LC 2008 and up, but looks like they could fit on my 2003? He's asking $995 which is for all four tires and rims.

View attachment 1702267 View attachment 1702268 View attachment 1702269 View attachment 1702270

Update: found the rims ($129 each) and tires ($174 each) on Tirerack. Tires are rated #4 in A/T tires on tirerack.

Tirerack new cost:
$516 for rims (plus shipping)
+ $696.28 for 4 tires (free shipping)
------------------------
= $1212.28 (plus whatever their mount and balance fee is).

Craiglist asking price $995, and they are already balanced and ready to go. His ad states he paid $1700 for them last fall, but only put 2000 miles on them, and has them left over because he sold his LX570.

Rims: https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=6408950BZG25DBZ&wheelMake=Granite Alloy&wheelModel=GA640&wheelFinish=Dark Metallic Bronze&showRear=no&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Land+Cruiser&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=
I would make sure the hub opening is large enough. I read somewhere that the newer LC wheel was not interchangeable with our 100's. I could be wrong, but double check.

I think ultimately that's what I will end up with. This thread has given me lots to
I would make sure the hub opening is large enough. I read somewhere that the newer LC wheel was not interchangeable with our 100's. I could be wrong, but double check.

All 100 and 200 series LC wheels are interchangeable :)

I offered to take them off his hands for $700, as soon as tomorrow (if they come with lugs), or $650 if they don’t.

A little friendly advice concerning purchases. NEVER use the words "Take them off your hands" or "Get rid of them". It infers the items are not desirable or have greatly diminished value. Many folks will take offense to that.

If THEY state they are eager to sell (wanting to get rid of something, O.K.) but don't be the one to initiate it.

A little wisdom acquired from 55 years of purchasing things. ;)

All 100 and 200 series LC wheels are interchangeable :)
Generally but not always. The 200 brake calipers stick out a bit more and will hit the spokes of some 100 series wheels. But I think the 100 can fit all 200 series wheels. The center bore is indeed the same.

why not just spend 1200 bucks and get the tires and wheels new vs saving 200?

If you're really worried about saving a few bucks (ie getting used tires) then this whole discussion takes on a different tone. First, it then becomes more of a Cooper, rather than BFG type of "value" discussion, and second, something is only a deal if it is what you wanted in the first place (which you didn't). Screw that guy with the used tires. Just because he paid way too much doesn't mean you should take on his problem. Used tires are used tires, they lose a lot of value once they lose their "nubs." JMHO

As your research shows, if that guy paid $1700 new he's not a good shopper. What he paid for them is irrelevant to their current value to you. If you like them better than your other similar options, get them. For reference, those same Kumhos in 275 65 R18 on Tirebuyer.com are $635 for a set of 4 shipped to your installer, so unless you just really wanted those rims, you're not saving any money buying those used tires and rims...

Re: set of Kumho A/Ts and bronze rims on Craigslist ($995 asking price, 2000 miles on tires).

So, I haven’t seen the tires and rims yet in person. I wanted to see if he was willing to negotiate on price at all before I seriously considered them.

I offered to take them off his hands for $700, as soon as tomorrow (if they come with lugs), or $650 if they don’t.

He got back to me that he already has an offer for $800, and would like to get $900 for them. He also said he’s already losing $700 selling them at $1000... He ended the message asking me what I’d like to do.

$1700 was how much he paid for them last fall, as a new set. Well, he put 2000 miles on them... and I can get them new from tire rack for $1200 or so, mounted and balanced, and I’m only considering his if I can get them at a reasonable cost. I could easily spend close to $900 on a new set of Conti TC A/Ts or $1000 on BFG KO2s, without rims.

Should I just walk away?

Part of me would like to get these tires and be done with it. Use them for our planned summer trips, and then when they are worn get better tires. I think the bronze colored rims might look good on my Imperial Jade Green LC. I have the “gold package”. I wouldn’t be getting rid of my Toyota rims. I would use one set of rims for winter tires, and the other for A/T.

Did you tell him you can get a new set for 1200? I'd stick to my guns and be prepared to walk away.

If he has someone offering 800, why aren't they sold? And who backs out on a deal by offering another party to buy it for 100 more. This isn't an auction.

Stick with your guns at your initial offer.

I cant believe this thread turned into Craigslist Negotion assistance.....where is the SAS LC Devolution thread?

concerned about saving money then just buy Tires and keep stock rims.....

LOL! Sorry. I will go back and remove all the Craigslist related posts that are mine, and get it back on topic. I hijacked my own thread! I can be very impulsive at times, and got a bit carried away.

Based on all the feedback in this thread, I’m certain I will go with 275/65-18 tires this time around. I don’t want to muck with the ride, and take a gas consumption hit going up to a 70, for now. I will probably go with Continental TerrainContact A/Ts because I want a more mild look, and won’t be rock climbing. They seem to offer the best fit for my requirements.

The main issue I’m running into is that no one wants to install that size on my rims!

I’ve called most of the local tire shops, and not a single one is willing to install even 275/65r18 tires on my rims because there is more than a 3% difference from the stock size of 275/60r18. “Your truck will need modifications so they don’t rub. You will need a lift.” o_O :bang:

I cant believe this thread turned into Craigslist Negotion assistance.....where is the SAS LC Devolution thread?

concerned about saving money then just buy Tires and keep stock rims.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom