Should I get All Terrain Tires? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just stop your search and go with Yokohama G015 AT in 275/65/18. Trust me on this.

If you want to look like it can go off road, get some BFG AT... However Im not sure the Michelen LTX MS tire isn't just as capable. I wheeled my wife's LX 470 with stock michelins, and prefer them for driving in sand. They are very capable, long lasting, and durable. I own KO2's on my 01 and love the look, but for 99% pavement, the michelin is a great tire.

Just stop your search and go with Yokohama G015 AT in 275/65/18. Trust me on this.

I've had Yokohama summer tires a on Mazda 3 hatch-back when I owned one out in San Diego. They were great tires.

If you want to look like it can go off road, get some BFG AT... However Im not sure the Michelen LTX MS tire isn't just as capable. I wheeled my wife's LX 470 with stock michelins, and prefer them for driving in sand. They are very capable, long lasting, and durable. I own KO2's on my 01 and love the look, but for 99% pavement, the michelin is a great tire.

Michelin LTX MS? I wish the PO had not put new touring tires on the truck. They only have a few thousand miles on them.

This is what is on my truck right now.
MICHELIN Latitude Tour Hp | Town Fair Tire

Argh. BFG? Continental? Cooper? Michelin? Yokohama? Goodyear? I don't know anymore.

Looking at survey results on Tirerack, the Continental TerrainContact ATs are #1 vs BFG KO2 ATs being #2.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&width=275/&ratio=65&diameter=18&tireSearch=true&filter=y

The rating breakdown shows the BFGs slightly better in all off-road conditions, while the Continentals are slightly better everywhere else.

I'm thinking I will get the Continentals (E), unless someone talks me out of it. They are cheaper, too.

You forgot to check miles reported, 257k for the Conti vs 5.2 MILLION for the KO2. The price difference is insignificant over the life of the tire.

That's true. I did notice the miles reported, but thought a quarter million miles was a pretty OK sample size considering they are newer. Everything I've read and watched all recommends BFG though. I guess they are probably the best A/T tire.

You forgot to check miles reported, 257k for the Conti vs 5.2 MILLION for the KO2. The price difference is insignificant over the life of the tire.

Last edited:

^^^^^^^^^

The G015 is what I ended up putting on mine as well....(LT 285/75/16-10 ply).

But the Continental was definitely on my list of tires to compare. Originally I was looking at the Michelin Defender, but we get a lot of rain where I live and I didn't feel as if the 'shoulders' were open enough to channel water out very well. Also the tread thickness is only 13/32"nds. or (just over 3/8")

The Geolandar tread depth (in my size) is 18/32"nds. or (9/16"). I wanted a 10 ply tire but also something that wouldn't get up on top of the water easily. Surprisingly they are very quiet. Balanced easily, smooth running and U.S. made.

Haven't used them in the sand yet, so I can't comment on that.

$1141.00 for a set of (5) mounted and balanced, free lifetime rotation at my local tire store.

Tire Geolander GO15.png

Michelin LTX MS? I wish the PO had not put new touring tires on the truck. They only have a few thousand miles on them.

@Slashzero, I think you're getting the Michelin LTX MS response because we overlooked the fact that you'd be replacing a near new set of Latitudes. I assumed you needed new tires and were on the fence about whether to move to an A/T or stick with more of a touring tire.

If the question is really, should I get rid of a perfectly good set of touring tires for a set of A/Ts, then my answer is yes, that's exactly what I did a few years ago. If your current Michelins are near new, they'll sell quickly on Craigslist so you can recoup some of the money you spend on the A/Ts. Discount Tire actually bought my LTX MS2s from me so I didn't have to mess with reselling them (though I would've got more for the set had I sold them).

I have KO2, they've been great and are darn quiet for an A/T, but they won't be as quiet as the Latitudes your taking off and the ride will be firmer. Good luck.

That makes sense. Yeah I'm looking to replace Latitude Touring HP that are pretty new, with A/Ts.

I was looking at more survey results on tiretrack.com and my current tires are kind of terrible.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&affiliate=FH8

The more research I do, the more undecided I am. I know nothing will be as good as a dedicated set of winter tires, but how do the KO2s handle in snow and ice?

@Couvi how do your TCs handle in snow and ice?

@Slashzero, I think you're getting the Michelin LTX MS response because we overlooked the fact that you'd be replacing a near new set of Latitudes. I assumed you needed new tires and were on the fence about whether to move to an A/T or stick with more of a touring tire.

If the question is really, should I get rid of a perfectly good set of touring tires for a set of A/Ts, then my answer is yes, that's exactly what I did a few years ago. If your current Michelins are near new, they'll sell quickly on Craigslist so you can recoup some of the money you spend on the A/Ts. Discount Tire actually bought my LTX MS2s from me so I didn't have to mess with reselling them (though I would've got more for the set had I sold them).

I have KO2, they've been great and are darn quiet for an A/T, but they won't be as quiet as the Latitudes your taking off and the ride will be firmer. Good luck.

Last edited:
There are other tire options besides BFG? :rofl::rofl:

I have always been impressed with my BFG A/T KO's... never had a reason to try something else. Might consider the new KM3's when they come out, but I will probably end up with a set of KO2's.

There are other tire options besides BFG? :rofl::rofl:

I have always been impressed with my BFG A/T KO's... never had a reason to try something else. Might consider the new KM3's when they come out, but I will probably end up with a set of KO2's.

I think ultimately that's what I will end up with. This thread has given me lots to think about.

The KO2 is the industry standard in A/T tires. Every single one of our ranch vehicles (excet the f250 with the LTX A/T's) has KO2s they just perform the best, get the most miles out of them, and look really really good.

KO2 is my vote if you are wanting to take the plunge.

FWIW I have had KO2's on 2 different F250's, 1 F150, and now my cruiser. its just a really really good tire.

Not to add to your debate @Slashzero, but I have been VERY happy with my 285/60R18 Toyo Open Country AT2s (non LT). Very quiet, no rubbing, decent aggressive look, and more importantly for us here in the NE, they are great in the winter. Expensive, yes, but a 60k tread life warranty is nice.

For what it's worth, I recently had an opportunity to replace all of them after about 20k miles (damn neighborhood kids slashing my tires!) but I didn't even think twice about buying another set.

On our 80 series - we had some Toyo A/T in the stock size when we got it. Ride was bad as I think they were out of balance or there were flat spots on the tires. Last straw was it got stuck in the snow even with all lockers engaged (ok, not stuck, but had massive issues).

Went to a KO2 in 33s... what a difference. No issues in snow/ice (they have the snowflake rating), was surprisingly quiet, smooth, and when I called around they were 1/2 the price of the Toyo (I think).

Similarly we had upgraded the tires on our old suburban to 33s, but the cheap A/T's from Discount tire. Total price difference was around $150 between the KO2 and the cheap ones. I didn't trust the suburban in snow like I did that 80/KO2s.

The 100 will get KO2s when it's time for tires. 100%.

When I purchase tires, I look at all aspects : Mileage, price, ride, quietness, looks etc. I was always a BFG AT guy growing up until the new sidewall design came out a few years back. Just isn't my cup of tea. I went with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and have run these on my last 3 vehicles. Mine is a 305/65-18 on OEM 18" wheels, LT e-rated, but rides just as nice, if not nicer than the stock P-rated tire. The Nitto also offers 2 different sidewalls to choose from on almost all their tires. Just my 2-cents. Good luck with your decision.

Ok, so I'm hearing lots of good things about KO2s, and Continental TCs as well as other brands. It seems the major brands are all similar, and it comes down to looks. I'm leaning KO2s (E) because of the extra sidewall thickness, and "winter rating". I've read some reviews stating KO2s are bad with wet traction on asphalt, which then makes me think the Continental TC would be better.

I'm now debating whether I should do 275/70r18 (33 inch), or 275/65r18 (32 inch). It sounds like either size will fit fine on the stock 18 inch rims. It feels like 65s will be the best compromise in terms of on and "off-road" ride comfort, performance, and reliability.

I am not removing the running boards for now, so any extra clearance would also be good, because why not.

You can put 305s on the stock Toyota 18 inch rims? Got a picture of what those look like? Noisy? Does it feel stable on asphalt? How much do you need to inflate them to feel right? No rub? Did you need to add spacers for extra clearance?

When I purchase tires, I look at all aspects : Mileage, price, ride, quietness, looks etc. I was always a BFG AT guy growing up until the new sidewall design came out a few years back. Just isn't my cup of tea. I went with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and have run these on my last 3 vehicles. Mine is a 305/65-18 on OEM 18" wheels, LT e-rated, but rides just as nice, if not nicer than the stock P-rated tire. The Nitto also offers 2 different sidewalls to choose from on almost all their tires. Just my 2-cents. Good luck with your decision.

Ok, so I'm hearing lots of good things about KO2s, and Continental TCs as well as other brands. It seems the major brands are all similar, and it comes down to looks. I'm leaning KO2s (E) because of the extra sidewall thickness, and "winter rating". I've read some reviews stating KO2s are bad with wet traction on asphalt, which then makes me think the Continental TC would be better.

I'm now debating whether I should do 275/70r18 (33 inch), or 275/65r18 (32 inch). It sounds like either size will fit fine on the stock 18 inch rims. It feels like 65s will be the best compromise in terms of on and "off-road" ride comfort, performance, and reliability.

I am not removing the running boards for now, so any extra clearance would also be good, because why not.
The 70 series will give you a little better ride because you have a slightly taller sidewall. Not much, but it is taller. I did not get the year vehicle you have. 4 spd or 5 spd trans ? That will also factor in tire size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom