Leaking from a Rivet hole? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thermalrecovery.com
I’ve pulled the interior and now the headliner. Both easier than I thought.

I have been pouring hot water into the sun roof tray of my 1997 LX450 to find it dripping from this rivet. Any thoughts on a cure with or without dropping the sunroof pan?

537798CA-2B91-4882-B7D3-05AE1A457D86.jpeg

It's called silicone.
Do it. ;)

Do we think i can squish up the silicone from the bottom without dropping the sun roof pan?

Just put a dollop the size of a small peanut on the rivet, then get your finger paint on, and smear it around and over the rivet so you end up with an even thickness, about the size of a quarter.
You want to cover the edges of the rivet. Plus the hole in the centre of the rivet.
It won't look pretty, but who sees it?

If you use sikaflex, treat it like it's the Ebola virus. Once you open it, it spreads to anything you touch.

^ yeah, sikaflex is a polyurethane product and has an affinity to attach itself to anything, anybody, anytime, anywhere :)

Great stuff though.

cheers,
george.

Do we think i can squish up the silicone from the bottom without dropping the sun roof pan?
The 'sealant' will be confined to the lower (exposed) head of the rivet. It appears (from the pic) that part of the rivet 'stem' is still present in the center of the rivet. So don't expect the sealant to go to the topside of the rivet (not that this would be necessary). It won't matter at which 'level' the seal is achieved.

Just put a dab of sealant on the clean/dry surface. spread it around, let it cure, be done.

ya but when you say silicone first thing I'm thinking of is silicone caulk for home repair or body sealer. but either one will work

For the OP's application....pretty much anything that is waterproof and expands and contracts under the minimal heat/cool cycles of the pan will work for him.

His application is simply not that demanding. Chewing gum would probably last a year. ;)

Adhesive/Sealants come in many forms for various purposes. FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) is more properly thought of as a 'process' not a product. It could be achieved with anything that is applied and then cures (or semi-cures).

But enough 'semantics'. OP just needs to grab whatever is readily available (RTV/Silicone/Poly/Whatever), seal that rivet and go have a beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom