Builds Building the dream (PZJ77) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No dramas Onur. Full transparency I don't think we get along very well, and I can't quite put my finger on why. We've never met. We've had disagreement on the internet and that's about it. Not withstanding I've probably referred more people to you when asked about parts for simple truth that it's not cheaper and takes longer for me to do it. Granted I'm not in Okinawa any longer and I don't promote parts and never intended to profit from it, only help the community. I only ever sent off a handful of stuff for people as it was never my intention to profit from it (people who have worked with me can vouch for that statement). Moreover, before I even offered parts acquisition I sent a PM to you, and several other people explicitly asking permission out of respect for your business. To which you responded that it was fine. If you've forgotten I'm certainly able to post the messages again. I'm getting really tired of the -what I perceive- passive aggressive comments. If I'm incorrect in my reception of your comments please let me know.

No idea what you are talking about. My comment was that it was cool that there was a japanese parts guy on the forum.

Get a grip youngster.

Have you clocked your top speed on the highway? What is the 1PZ capable of with a heavy LWB and 33s? I would love some GPS speed numbers if you have them. I am curious because I hope to be rocking the same set up next month. Already have a huge care package from Cruiser Outfitters on the way for it along with brand new wheels and tires (33x10.50) from Tirerack.

If you want it to last I would keep it to about 65mph with short bursts at 70mph. And I would get 235/85/16. These engines were never designed for high speeds on US or European freeways.
Sustained high speeds causes them to suck up oil into the air intake and risks blowing head gaskets.
My 1HZ topped out at 140kph unloaded and the 1PZ is 5/6ths of that. The 33S on my HZJ75 lowered the rpms but didn't really make much difference to the top speed when I checked it with a GPS and I think the 33s may even lower the top speed on a 1PZ.
The 7* series is a huge airdam at high speed.

my pzj 70 is good for about 130km in either direction and the speedo is spot on according too the gps with 31s . ive got a set of headers on it but like rossco says , theyre as aerodynamic as a block of flats and ive been forced too chop down going into strong head winds once or twice..once i even pulled over thinking something was broken once , but 80km winds was deemed too be the reason

ive been running at 100/110 max for the last 250,000 km (totals 350 ) . still same top speed , no blowby from the oil filler ,still uses about 1litre oil between changes , starts instantly , great motor.....
i think 33s might take the edge off it , but its pretty hilly in NZ . might not be so bad on the big flat roads.

If you want it to last I would keep it to about 65mph with short bursts at 70mph. And I would get 235/85/16. These engines were never designed for high speeds on US or European freeways.
Sustained high speeds causes them to suck up oil into the air intake and risks blowing head gaskets.
My 1HZ topped out at 140kph unloaded and the 1PZ is 5/6ths of that. The 33S on my HZJ75 lowered the rpms but didn't really make much difference to the top speed when I checked it with a GPS and I think the 33s may even lower the top speed on a 1PZ.
The 7* series is a huge airdam at high speed.

Frankly, sustained 65mph is better than I expected. Oil in the intake sounds like the valves are out of adjustment. I have the valve compressor SST on the way and a valve adjustment will be part of the initial refresh of the truck when it gets here. I will be changing all the fluids and filters, changing water pump and timing belt/idler, rebuilding the outers on the front and rear axle, and doing a valve adjustment. I have all the stuff for these job here or on the way minus the shims I will need for the valve adjustment.

my pzj 70 is good for about 130km in either direction and the speedo is spot on according too the gps with 31s . ive got a set of headers on it but like rossco says , theyre as aerodynamic as a block of flats and ive been forced too chop down going into strong head winds once or twice..once i even pulled over thinking something was broken once , but 80km winds was deemed too be the reason

ive been running at 100/110 max for the last 250,000 km (totals 350 ) . still same top speed , no blowby from the oil filler ,still uses about 1litre oil between changes , starts instantly , great motor.....
i think 33s might take the edge off it , but its pretty hilly in NZ . might not be so bad on the big flat roads.

So you are saying you can get 80mph on your SWB with 31s? I would love to find headers for it or a complete bolt in exhaust. Might be a pipe dream in the US. I would have to make my own. I am on the coast so unless I take it on a trip (or a bridge) I won't see hills.

Last edited:
Why are you guys in such a hurry? A 70 Series Land Cruiser is a "go slow and enjoy life" kind of vehicle. :)

I bought a 70 and an 80. The 70 was too slow and the 80 was too complicated so I moved every part from one over to the other so that my 70 is now an 80 and vice versa. It wasn't easy but now I'm happy. I just need to convert my gas to a diesel and my diesel to gas and then I will have true inner peace.

Why are you guys in such a hurry? A 70 Series Land Cruiser is a "go slow and enjoy life" kind of vehicle. :)

I knew I was't buying a speed demon. I would have preferred an HZJ77 but I got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up and frankly 77s are hard to find with lockers and manual transmission with either motor. When I was able to get a manual trans and lockers in a 77 for what I thought was an amazing price, it didn't even bother me that it had a 1PZ. Interstates around here have a 70mph speed limit. It would be nice if I could hit the speed limit. I don't really want to be the guy going under the speed limit.

Also, the R151F, while not having as deep a 1st gear as the H55F, does have a slightly taller 5th gear for better highway speeds (.836 vs .845). Ironically just not enough power to maintain those speeds against that barn door of a windshield.

Last edited:
Oil in the intake sounds like the valves are out of adjustment

My valves were within specs. I believe its blow by induced from over working them. Probably happened trying to overtake 2-3 road trains together.

1. Headers

20180415_124711.jpg

20180415_124747.jpg

Late to the party. I’m in it with @Gun Runner 5. I’m never in a hurry. I only pay attention when my wife drives. That said, I find ideal cruising at 100-110km/hr. Frankly I’ve never tried to max it out for speed because it’s not important to me. I’d venture to say my current wheel/tire combo at 33x8 XZL’s on Bradly V’s is similar in weight to a 35x12 on factory wheels. I have no issues getting 25mpg at 65-70mph with weight in hills. Temps/pressure remain normal and oil blowback is nominal. @44Runner what is your end goal? Honestly I feel like you’d be a solid candidate for a 1HD swap if you’re concerned with highway cruising speeds.

Late to the party. I’m in it with @Gun Runner 5. I’m never in a hurry. I only pay attention when my wife drives. That said, I find ideal cruising at 100-110km/hr. Frankly I’ve never tried to max it out for speed because it’s not important to me. I’d venture to say my current wheel/tire combo at 33x8 XZL’s on Bradly V’s is similar in weight to a 35x12 on factory wheels. I have no issues getting 25mpg at 65-70mph with weight in hills. Temps/pressure remain normal and oil blowback is nominal. @44Runner what is your end goal? Honestly I feel like you’d be a solid candidate for a 1HD swap if you’re concerned with highway cruising speeds.
I think @44Runner and this PZJ77 should be at the September meet up at Windrock.

I knew I was't buying a speed demon. I would have preferred an HZJ77 but I got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up and frankly 77s are hard to find with lockers and manual transmission with either motor. When I was able to get a manual trans and lockers in a 77 for what I thought was an amazing price, it didn't even bother me that it had a 1PZ. Interstates around here have a 70mph speed limit. It would be nice if I could hit the speed limit. I don't really want to be the guy going under the speed limit.

Also, the R151F, while not having as deep a 1st gear as the H55F, does have a slightly taller 5th gear for better highway speeds (.836 vs .845). Ironically just not enough power to maintain those speeds against that barn door of a windshield.

I think you should go read this,

turboing a 1pz - Offroad-Express

Cheers

My PZJ70 is not fast at all and it takes some getting used to being passed by granny in her Chevrolet Spark. I usually drive at the same speed range as @divemedic although it will go faster if I push it.

Installing a turbo sounds appealing but I think I am going to leave the motor itself alone. I have a boosted Tundra if I am craving speed.

@44Runner what is your end goal? Honestly I feel like you’d be a solid candidate for a 1HD swap if you’re concerned with highway cruising speeds.

The speed limit on the main highway out of here is 70MPH. I would like to be able to hit 70MPH on flat land. That is it.

I think @44Runner and this PZJ77 should be at the September meet up at Windrock.

I think so too. Got a link to the info? I have weekends off in September. Is the event family friendly where I could bring my kids?

I can hold 75 in my truck, but you gotta remember they aren’t designed for long hauls at that speed. The only time I was ever worried was inside 285 in Atlanta on 75. I was cruising at 65mph and was almost rear ended a few times.

I can hold 75 in my truck, but you gotta remember they aren’t designed for long hauls at that speed. The only time I was ever worried was inside 285 in Atlanta on 75. I was cruising at 65mph and was almost rear ended a few times.

If you can hold 75, hopefully I should be good at 70. I have no desire to be a speed demon, I just don't want to be the dude going under the speed limit. Most of the interstates around here are flat and have 70MPH speed limits. I have a trailer and a Dodge 2500, but I prefer to drive.

Need advice. I don’t have a diagram or parts listing so I’m flying blind but know I don’t have everything needed.

Q1: Are nutserts intended to be used on the a-pillar mount points? If not, machine screws?

Q2: same questions as above, but for fender mount points.

Q3: what parts am I missing? Is it worth sourcing parts or should I improvise at the local hardware store?

D2014FB7-6E22-41C0-A101-726718C5CA09.jpeg

C6D88B49-BAAF-4E7A-A7BD-40B13DA69FE1.jpeg

05BAD651-AEDF-4E7F-B8F9-77ED3C0391DE.jpeg

4C7CB9DA-FE12-4B3F-8A3B-4560456E6E1B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom