Affordable Fuel Injection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

My Affordable Fuel Injection system arrives tomorrow for my 77 FJ40. I was wondering whether anyone else has installed a system, and whether there are any gotchas or things to watch out for?

I'm thinking that getting the throttle linkage may be the most difficult task.

Also, I already removed the carb. Does anyone know whether the heat plate separates from the bottom of the standard carb....it seems pretty stuck together, and I can't find any bolts.....don't want to hit it quite yet!

Thanks!

Phil

IMG_8632.jpg

There are a number of threads on AFI, but yes, the throttle will take some time to figure out, and you won't need that heat plate/insulator. The biggest challenge I had was getting enough cable travel on the throttle to fully open the TBI plates. I ended up making a shorter, custom gas pedal that both gave enough travel and was comfortable under my foot.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Are you happy with the system overall?

I received mine a couple of days ago but won't be putting it on for bit since my engine is still in the rebuild process. Please keep us posted on throttle linkage stuff as I will be facing a similar problem soon.

IMG_20180508_153508.jpg

There are a number of threads on AFI, but yes, the throttle will take some time to figure out, and you won't need that heat plate/insulator. The biggest challenge I had was getting enough cable travel on the throttle to fully open the TBI plates. I ended up making a shorter, custom gas pedal that both gave enough travel and was comfortable under my foot.

Okay this might be a dumb question, apologies in advance: Why not just take measurements and order a custom length cable? Is there some gotchya I am unaware of with the 40's?

Most 40s have the mechanical pushrod throttle linkage, which means more than a cable is needed.

Modifying the existing pedal or finding a 73-earlier cable pedal, drilling new holes for cable & screws, closing out the hole from old linkage, calculating geometry so a reasonable pedal travel is achieved, etc...
Makes it more than a one :banana: job.

Most 40s have the mechanical pushrod throttle linkage, which means more than a cable is needed. Modifying the existing pedal or finding a 73-earlier cable pedal...

So my 68 uses a cable pedal? = My work will be easier when it comes to connecting the throttle? FINALLY a positive to having an earlier model year!

Many aftermarket throttle cables (Lokar comes to mine) are made for their own gas pedal, and are expensive and hard make work for a Land Cruiser. Some are cheap Chinese junk. I used a control cable from a lawn mower. Worked great, priced right, field-fixable.

I may write a Toyota Trails article on my AFI experience, so I don't have a big Mud post, but search on 'AFI' in the 40 and 60 forums, and you'll find plenty. Basically, I'm happy with it. It's not as well-integrated as a factory EFI system, but it gets the job done.

Last edited:
Hi Phil, I did the TBI conversion a few years back and in my opinion it is without a doubt the best mod you can do to your FJ40.
However, I went a different rout and scrounged all my parts from a auto wrecker yard.
I requested and received the Downey instruction manual and followed it to the letter.
It works as advertised, what a transformation!
You will love it.

thanks for all the replies. Here's an update.

Spent the majority of yesterday unpacking and installing the new system (wife not happy!).

Laid out the harness, and cut a hole through firewall, threaded wires from glovebox through firewall to engine bay. Installed Computer and Relays in glovebox. There are lots of separate plugs from the harness. At this point I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew, but the secret seems to be to take just one step at a time.

Made 1 'phone a friend' back to AFI, I didn't realize I needed to remove the 4 studs from the intake manifold, and which orientation the throttle body adapter plate went in. Once this was sorted I fitted the adapter, throttle body and used gasket sealer to fit that up....looks nice.

Installed the Coolant temp, installed the electric fuel pump and filter (I decided to install this in series, after the mechanical fuel pump) - recommended per the instructions.

Removed the old dizzy and installed the new one. I went for the AFI distributor with the large head and included coil. Noticed that the old HT leads don't fit so well, and there are no markings on the dizzy cap for the cylinders. I just 'guessed' at the starting point, and followed the firing order from the old cap and lead placement. I think I need new HT Wires as the old copper lead ends fit inside the old dizzy head ports rather than around the heads on the new dizzy.

Welded the bung into the exhaust collector, now ready for fitment.

Things still to do:-

1. Connect main wiring - ground, crank voltage, check engine, 'pink' ignition wire, battery wire.
2. New HT leads and set timing
3. MAF Sensor - need to mount this horizontally somehow, and find the right hose from the throttle vacuum port.
4. Throttle linkage - i'm dreading this one!
5. Air cleaner/Filter - does anyone know what fits?
6. Need to decide which bits of the ignitor/coil and I can remove

Overall I'm happy with the kit so far.....just a couple of really minor niggles. Instructions are not customized (as this is a generic kit), so there is some thinking to be done. There are no pictures in the instructions, but the vast majority of connections are keyed, so they only fit to the right plug.

The supplier bolt to the fuel pump + terminal is too big - need to scrabble around for something.

Let's see if she runs!

Don't forget to remove the Toyota ignitor, piggybacked to the coil. It is not discussed in the instructions. Your engine will not run with the ignitor in place. After you remove it, follow the AFI instructions and you will get a spark.

Ok. System installed. Now struggling :-(

Can’t seem to get a spark out of the new big head distributor.

Checked pink wire which goes to old coil positive and that gets voltage on crank and key on.

Removed ignitor and old coil.

Checked battery red cable -ok

Check engine light working and got code 12 system ok.

Crank cable is connected to starter.

Put new leads on which I made up with a accor kit.

I think I goofed the dizzy install which may be 180 off.

So I think I have the following things to check

1. Move dizzy 180
2. I completely messed up making HT leads

Any thoughts?

Once this was sorted I fitted the adapter, throttle body and used gasket sealer to fit that up....looks nice.

There are almost no RTV/sealers that are meant to be used on/with items that contact fuel..... might want to elaborate what you did here and/or come up with a different solution if RTV was used between intake and TBI....

Phil, here's some tidbits of info that you might find helpful:
1. First, look at my ebay #253358076655, see the laser cut plate, it is designed to give you a mounting platform for the cable linkage- - out at the engine end (sandwiches between two gaskets below the throttle body).
2. Take a look at my ebay #253264248936, this cable is 3" longer than a stock Landcruiser cable, plus has many upgrades over a factory cable, and we use it with out TBI conversions all day long.
3. I manufacturer two different air cleaner assemblies that fit the Landcruiser TBI conversion, they are off-set to go over the valve cover, away from the brake master cylinder, BUT I am out of stock on both of them right now. You could use a 9" diameter (or smaller) on the 1975-older rigs, but the intake manifold on your 1977 is longer/moves carb or throttle body further out from engine/closer to brake master cylinder. I do have a nifty 8" diameter air cleaner that might fit, see my ebay #253544537540. It was a pricey marine air cleaner in it's former life, but I have polished the aluminum, and installed a paper automotive filter element- - -see if 8" diameter (4" from the center of your throttle body) will clear your brake master cylinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom