FJ40 body rust - welding repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping to get an FJ40 in the future (hopefully sooner rather than later). In anticipation, I realize that my price range leads me to many vehicles with substantial rust - Cancer! Are there any shops in the greater Philadelphia area that you guys could recommend for this kind of work on a classic car like the FJ40?

My only advice is buy one in Az,Nm,Tx,Ca. You get the idea and ship or drive it back. You will be so happy you did. The extra cost of a plaNE ticket and shipping will be nothing next to what you spend for a good body guy, new sheet metal, and paint.

Wow. This is very helpful. I had been looking at a running '79 for great price, but lots of body rust. I will keep looking.

Generally speaking, a rough body will also translate into a bad frame. There are several steel body companies making awesome parts (and entire bodies for sale that can range from $5k-$7k). If you find one with a good frame and just body rust, it is possible it was restored at an earlier point in life (and this could be a good option).

If you have a serious interest in buying one, I’d strongly suggest enlisting the assistance of someone who really knows these trucks (there are some guys in this club or on Mud)... and could help you look for some of the specific problem areas. And don’t give up on the barn-find idea... I still see them in the classic car threads occasionally. Lastly, it sounds as though you are taking this to heart... but be patient!

I am hoping to get an FJ40 in the future (hopefully sooner rather than later). In anticipation, I realize that my price range leads me to many vehicles with substantial rust - Cancer! Are there any shops in the greater Philadelphia area that you guys could recommend for this kind of work on a classic car like the FJ40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom