Making homelink work only when key on (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! Just got an 04 lx470 couple weeks ago.

I found out homelink works ALL the time. Well, the LX lives outside so this created a security problem for me. Today, I changed that.

Took down the overhead compartment and unplugged connectors till the homelink stopped working. It is the far left/drivers side connector. Yellow arrow in pic. Used a meter and found only 1 always on 12V wire.

Found a taped up un-used connector on the right/passenger's side. Red arrow it pic. Hit it with a meter till I found a 12V switched pin.

Cut wire on right side and spliced new wire in, cut wire on left side and spliced new wire to back of plug on left side and bingo. Homelink now only works with key in acc or on. The wire now unconnected on left side is always hot, so heat shrunk enviro sleeve on it and it is no longer a threat.

Green circle is don't touch...lol

Next project is trying to install stereo with nav and ML. If it works, I will post about it.

And thanks for all the awesome info this forum provides!!

Bags

Capture+_2018-04-04-18-49-02-1.png

I was going to find a +12 acc line up there today. Thank you for saving me some time. Was it a grey wire? I see that unused taped up 18 or so pin housing up there. Than you sir.

Last edited:
Great work @kbags. I've always thought that - break into car = easy in to house - was a security oversight.

Great write up. It has always bothered me that someone could smash the window of a vehicle, open the garage door and walk in. I will be doing this this weekend.

if he doesn't make it back, the assembly pulls straight down with vertical clips at the corners.
The harness in question has a violet speed (assumed), a grey acc+12, blue/yellow battery +, green Ill usually+, and a white/black ground. I was hoping a body ecu wire but it doesn't look like it.

IMG_20180405_112802.jpg

I was going to find a +12 acc line up there today. Thank you for saving me some time. Was it a grey wire? I see that unused taped up 18 or so pin housing up there. Than you sir.

Jerry, I am not sure which color it is and yeah I would say it had at least 8 pins in it so prob correct. Sorry, I should have done a better job on the wire colors. If you need more info, let me know and I will go take it apart and give better pics and wire colors.

Great work @kbags. I've always thought that - break into car = easy in to house - was a security oversight.

EXACTLY!!

Good idea! How did you remove the overhead compartment? My Homelink doesn’t work at all, so I want to see what’s going on up there.

1 screw up front in sunglasses holder and then pull down

Great write up. It has always bothered me that someone could smash the window of a vehicle, open the garage door and walk in. I will be doing this this weekend.

I agree! Thanks

if he doesn't make it back, the assembly pulls straight down with vertical clips at the corners.
The harness in question has a violet speed (assumed), a grey acc+12, blue/yellow battery +, green Ill usually+, and a white/black ground. I was hoping a body ecu wire but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks Jerry for helping clear things up!:beer:

didn't mean to step on your thread Sir. Me and another member were trying to figure out what that plug housing was for. Seems we all have it. Rear DVD, second gas tank, rain sensing wipers?? I don't think we've found the answer yet.
Mine's upper console has been down waiting on windshield trim and install. I want ACC for LED light install up there. So you helped me out locating it. Cheers

No worries Jerry!!!

We are all here to learn, help, wheel, and have fun!

View attachment 1670485
Jerry,

Which is the switched 12+ wire? Also did you finally add led's to the overhead?

It's gray. I think it was at the end of row, a ground was right next to it. Most, if not all acc lines are grey and mostly all grounds are white black. I dont have a pic, I'll look though.

I lied. This is the harness and they are not next to eachothere.
Gound, bat, ill, acc, and speed? Violet. I did add LEDs up there with a pwm remote dimmer. Don't really like them too much.
IMG_20180405_112802.jpg

This post caught me at the right time (worrying about the homeland in the rig being powered all the time). So I took a stab at this build today. I have pics.

The good news is that it's easy to get into the space to modify the wires. The bad news is that I didn't get it to work. Maybe the pics show what I did wrong?

Here's a pic of the extra harness from with the only-on power gets pulled. The light green wire marks the location of the power. The second pic allows you identify the color of the wire.

image.png
newpower-wirecolor.JPG

Here are pictures of the harness that comes into the panel. Marked with a light green wire is the location of the always-on power. The Second image shows the location of the always-on power.

oldpower-location.JPG
oldpower-wirecolor.JPG

In the ned, this is how I rerouted the power using small splice locks and some single strand wire that makes the bridge.

I managed to cut then always-on power from the homeland system. Unfortunately, the only-on power doesn't work. So no homelink for me right now.

Can anyone who had done this work before see if I did anything wrong?

connection.JPG

I didn't look to verify violet is speed signal in this instance but it usually is. looks like you need to swap to the next one over, which is grey.

connection.JPG

I did this today as well. Appreciate the pictures!

The unused connector is taped up on the right side. There is a hot 12v lead (blue/yellow) and a switched 12v lead (grey) on this spare connector. I tapped the grey lead and ran a jumper over to the home link connector.

992FFD07-84C2-477C-B6B0-81189483802B.jpeg

Then cut the blue/yellow wire on the homelink connector and connected my switched 12v jumper to it.
394B48E4-589E-49BF-B68B-7929746FF4C0.jpeg

Then shrink wrapped the cut hot 12v lead leading to the homelink connector. Put the spare connector back where it was, Zip tied everything up and out if the way and reassembled.

AC024AB8-0495-4C6D-9A31-AD78D7C5B937.jpeg

I now have a switched homelink system. Great mod- thank you.

I now have a switched homelink system. Great mod- thank you.

What's that blue slicing tool you used called? I haven't seen that before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom