Ih8mud diesel drag challenge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm always interested in diesel performance, modifications and the results of it.

There are several apps available for phones that can record your 1/4 mile, 0-60/0-100km/h ect times using the GPS and accelerometer. I've found these quite accurate and repeatable, though sometimes you get an outlier. For most of us I imagine doing this on public roads wont even result in broken speed limits. Of course, some of you have actual drag strips at your disposal.

Personally, I use Car Performance Free for Android. Perhaps if the Apple users find an appropriate app they could link it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unnull.apps.carperformancefree&hl=en

Naturally you should make a pass in one direction, then the other and average them. I'm lucky enough to have found a nice flat piece of road that's repeatable in both directions. Flat, straight empty sections of road may be hard to come by for some of you but launching from the breakdown lane on a freeway might do it.

Post up your results with a description of your car, including engine, gearbox and other relevant things. I'll try and keep this first post updated with the results. I'd also be interested to see the times of FJ and FZJ 'cruisers. There's no such thing as too slow, I'm just keen to see how your vehicles perform!

Dare. LN60 4runner. N/A 2L, headers + sports exhaust, G52 gearbox, 31s.

4run3.png

Mr Cimarron. BJ40. B engine, 255/85r16s
0-60mph 38.020

Dare. BJ73. Stock N/A 3B, H55f, 33s.

BJ73 2017-01-18-14-29-08.png

Mr Cimarron. BTJ80. 6BT P7100 pump #10 fuel plate, NV4500, 315/75r16s, 4.1 diffs and 0.9 high.
0-60 16.622

GTSSportCoupe. LJ78, 2L-TE, tweaked/intercooled, water/meth injection, auto gearbox, 32s.
0-100 16.28
1/4 20.49@110.0km/h

Locked79. 2012 VDJ79, stock, 33s.
0-100 15.59
1/4 20.04@112.8km/h

Locked79. 2017 VDJ79R DC, stock motor, 33s, 2930kg.
0-100 15.53
1/4 19.496@112.5

arnott1t. HDJ81. Gturbo 22psi, FMIC, 315/75r17
0-100 13.95

Dork. HJD80? 1HD-FT, 35s, 14psi
0-60 12.449
1/4 19.471@68.21

IanB. HDJ81. A442F, stock turbo @ 18PSI.
0-60 12.7ish
1/4 18.182@69

Last edited:
I'll do this eventually, I love the idea!

Thanks Locked79. I have long wondered what a stock VDJ would run. Having driven a few that time is inline with what I was thinking.

So you hit a high of ~69mph in the 1/4 miles for the stock VDJ? Woo....I don't think I will even bother measuring with my 1PZ.

So you hit a high of ~69mph in the 1/4 miles for the stock VDJ? Woo....I don't think I will even bother measuring with my 1PZ.

I'd personally be interested in knowing the 1PZ performance. I say give it a try.

I'll do my LJ78 when I get a chance. Hard to find a straight road with a lull in traffic where I live...

I don't know that I would be competitive with many of the rigs on here, and I've been through a couple rear ends dropping the clutch already.

Third gear it pulls well though, it seems to want some load to build the boost, lower gears with a manual trans it doesn't seem to build boost before I'm rev'd up and need to shift.

A 14 bolt needs to go in it and an HX35 turbo.

I don't know that I would be competitive with many of the rigs on here, and I've been through a couple rear ends dropping the clutch already.

Third gear it pulls well though, it seems to want some load to build the boost, lower gears with a manual trans it doesn't seem to build boost before I'm rev'd up and need to shift.

A 14 bolt needs to go in it and an HX35 turbo.
Same here with Cummins. I used to get no boost out of 1st and 2nd until after rebuilding turbo. Now it registers but like you said you can’t stay in those gears long enough to build it. 3rd is good and 4th gear is the money gear.
As for the BJ40 the Dakota Digital will keep 0-60 but it times out at 25 seconds and I still haven’t cracked that mark yet.

Ok, i can do this, but it'll probably be the end of next week after i've sorted an intake issue

Well, a completely non ideal run I had this morning, but still not bad considering it's a 2LTE and slush box automatic. Had stuff in the truck and my kids too. Was 20C out. Truck is on 32" tires and weighs about 2300kg. Was a slight up-hill run.

I'm going to try another more ideal run an evening this weekend if I can. I think I can shave 2 or 3 seconds off these times. Maybe I'll try it with the water/methanol system on too....LOL.

[PerfExpert] Lj78 - Stock - May 5, 2018 10_40_33 AM.png

Cheers fellas.

I'd be interested to see what the 1PZ and Cummins rigs run!

Good effort there I reckon GTS, 0-100 is almost 1/3rd the time that my 2L does it!

Locked79, that's a bit more like it! It's interesting to note the 0-100 and speed in the 1/4 are the same between both your VDJs.

I've updated the first post, keep them coming! :)

Good effort there I reckon GTS, 0-100 is almost 1/3rd the time that my 2L does it!

Thanks! Turbo/Intercooler make a big difference over a normally aspirated 2L I suppose. I gave it one more try tonight. No passengers (maybe 2200kg weight), and I turned the methanol/water on. I shifted the auto a bit smarter this time, keeping it at peak power and not revving too high. This is probably as good as my truck will get.

[PerfExpert] Lj78 - Stock - May 5, 2018 9_06_22 PM.png

Thanks! Turbo/Intercooler make a big difference over a normally aspirated 2L I suppose. I gave it one more try tonight. No passengers (maybe 2200kg weight), and I turned the methanol/water on. I shifted the auto a bit smarter this time, keeping it at peak power and not revving too high. This is probably as good as my truck will get.

View attachment 1693919
Wow. That's really moving for a 2lte. Do you have any clue on how much power its putting down? It would be interesting to see as its about the same as my 1vd. Once I get my remap/tune done I'll revisit this thread, hopefully with a before and after dyno run.

Wow. That's really moving for a 2lte. Do you have any clue on how much power its putting down? It would be interesting to see as its about the same as my 1vd. Once I get my remap/tune done I'll revisit this thread, hopefully with a before and after dyno run.

Well, apparently they put around 42hp to the wheels through a manual transmission (stock). I used the PerfExpert app to dyno my engine a while back. It showed 85hp with the torque converter out of lock-up. From what I've heard, the torque converter looses about 13hp when slipping. So I'm going to say I'm close to around 100hp to the rear wheels when it's locked up. So what would that be at the flywheel? Who knows really. Cruisers seem to loose a huge amount of power in the drive train. Maybe the motor is around 130-150hp or so? Keep in mind my vehicle is much lighter than yours. Also, from your graph you are loosing time during gear shifts. Mine (auto) doesn't seem to loose as much. The LJ78 also has 4.88 diffs from the factory.

But yes, it does show the 2LTE does not need to be slow. A good intercooler, tune and 18-20psi does wonders for these motors. My EGT's are much much lower at these power levels than they ever were when the motor was stock. I'm tempted to try a 1KZTE 12mm pump in place of my 10mm pump. I'm at the limits of the fuel right now. But honestly I should leave well enough alone.

I think this is an appropriate place for this video.

For those not on facebook, this is GSL's vdj79.
Stock engine internals except for HD valve springs. A lot of bolt ons, etc.

Just ran a 9.85 @ 136mph

Also, from your graph you are loosing time during gear shifts. Mine (auto) doesn't seem to loose as much.

Auto's don't require you to lift to shift, so the turbo stays fully spooled unlike a manual trans. As long as the gear ratios aren't awful, an auto should provide better times, and be more consistent.

1991 hdj81 5 speed manual.
G turbo peaking at 22psi or so.
Front mount inter cooler.
315 75 r17
010CC21B-3CE7-4673-B41D-40B78F55E689.jpeg
25CA028E-503B-4DE0-8C2B-760C6B339A6C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom