80's People this one caught me off Guard... this is what i found VIDEO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While figuring out a knocking sound this is what i found:

The harmonic balancer has a little wobble and a particular sound, i dont' have a lot of knowledge and this one escapes my hands.

Your thoughts will be appreciated greatly.

i would think it is also backed out a little. without the HB tight then the PS can knock like mad.

Hi, Try a stethoscope and see if you can pin point the noise. When's the last time the water pump was changed ? Can you wobble the harmonic balancer when cool and engine off by hand ? Mike

Hi, Try a stethoscope and see if you can pin point the noise. When's the last time the water pump was changed ? Can you wobble the harmonic balancer when cool and engine off by hand ? Mike

Well when the motor is off is hard as a rock, i just did a timing chain replacement, i don't have the torque wrench and i did torque by hand... may be as many of you suggested is not real tighten...

you need to pull the front of the truck and get a straight look at the HB and remove, then inspect. If it has been loose for awhile it can ruin your crank.

If that the case is have been loose for a few weeks after a timing chain replacement, but i haven't been driving it and i won't till i solve this, i had been turning the engine on just to inspect and do motor flushing like 10 min at a time, at the same time i flush the brake lines and tested so one day i did accelerate and brake hard to test the brakes but that was less thatn 20 min...

What happend was, i have an oil light, check the level and everything was fine, so i was guessing the sensor went wrong, but later the timing chain start to knock i thought it was a guide broken so i bought a Timing chain kit, when open it up i saw the guides and chain were fine, but, the car had a real bad oil gunk problem so the oil light was trying to told me that, maybe the previous owner was mixing mineral oil with synthetic or something because is was like Tar so maybe it was that oil wasn't getting to the tensioner, so never the less i put the new chain and clean everything the most i can and do several motor flush till the oil wans't getting black. at the same time know that i was working with the engine open, i move to do everything that needs to be care off, the loud Knocking sound coming from the timing chain was gone, but left with that little one, and yesterday i saw what i recorded on video...

i was going to take the tensioner out and try to clean the oil lines going to the tensioner but after your advices i think that i have to find a way to torque the HB bolt at 304 lb, how can this be done with out a torque wrench is my new question mark.

i have to find a way to torque the HB bolt at 304 lb, how can this be done with out a torque wrench is my new question mark.

If you have a torque wrench that can't handle 304 lbs, I seem to remember a few threads here in the 80's section about adding an extension to the business end of a torque wrench to multiply the force, or a Google search should turn up some ways to do it.

If you have a torque wrench that can't handle 304 lbs, I seem to remember a few threads here in the 80's section about adding an extension to the business end of a torque wrench to multiply the force, or a Google search should turn up some ways to do it.
Thank you, but i don't have it, i'm searching to rent one or do a method that i found here in the forum, that have to do with a human body scale, and some mathematics...

The harmonic balancer has a little wobble and a particular sound,

Hey Man - Not sure what motor you have, but this happened to me with an HD-T. The harmonic balancer is actually 2 pieces separated by rubber which can delaminate. This causes the wobble which will lead to an oil leak on the front main and damage to the keyway milled in the crank if left.

Maybe the crank bolt is just loose, but I'd recommend removing the dampener and inspecting for cracks in the rubber just in case. If good and the key and keyway show no wear, re-install and torque with an air impact and blue Loctite - pretty much what most rebuilders do. Or, get a $700 3/4" torque wrench..... or torque multiplier.....

Good luck!

Last edited:
but this happened to me with an HD-T. The harmonic balancer is actually 2 pieces separated by rubber which can delaminate. This causes the wobble which will lead to an oil leak on the front main and damage to the keyway milled in the crank if left.!

X2 on this one .. it happen to me ( I caught it on time before it make more damage ) back in the day was 300 something part .. well worth it

This guy just uses his fingers

index.php

Well well here are the results.

First: this is the video when i removed the harmonic balancer, can we see any wobble there?
Second: this video is if you can hear like a bad bearing sound or is normal
third: this is the video after re-installing the HB and tightened the bolt the most i could without a torque wrench, i just used a wrench with a tube extension for increase torque, i notice the wobble reduce but is still visible and the noise is less too but still hearable.

So what do you guys think, is the crankshaft or the HB, or maybe the HB is loose still ( i doubt it, i put all my force till i felt the wrenche is gonna brake)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom