35s, no flares, and within the guards... Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I know that the flareless look is really popular here, so I am hoping someone can help me out.

I am looking for pictures and wheel information (width and offset/backspace) for anyone is running 35" tyres, no flares, and the tyres are still under the guards or in line with the guards.

Here in Australia they can't poke outside the guards without flares.

Even if you are running 33" tyres or 255/85r16s and your tyres still fit within flareless guards please post some pictures and some information if you have the time!

Looking to build a more American style cruiser down here in Oz and I think this is essential!

My second question, can a 35x12.5" tyre even fit under the guards without fowling or rubbing? Is this why most people require wheels with an offset to space them outside the guard, for tyre clearance?

There's a lot of room 'under' the guard and typically folk will lift the suspension and then lengthen bump stops to prevent longer shocks bottoming out. That pretty well keeps the tyre from rubbing into the guard (for a 35" nominal tyre).

I doubt you'll find a typical wide 35" that will NOT stick out beyond the guard.

Also, consider that in the US, vehicle rules (at least getting pulled up for violating them) are quite lax and it is common to see folk running 4wds with tyres sticking well outside the guards - as in a couple of inches.

In oz I highly doubt you'll get away with not having to add some sort of flare to keep the tyres covered if you don't want to be pulled over in a few minutes of hitting the pavement...

cheers,
george.

We need more information on your laws and how they check this. When the axle is flexed it’s at an angle and the top of the tire is angled inwards, if the measurement is square to the ground then it might not take much for the widest part of the tire (the sidewall) to protrude past the farthest part of the fender.

My second question, can a 35x12.5" tyre even fit under the guards without fowling or rubbing? Is this why most people require wheels with an offset to space them outside the guard, for tyre clearance?

See above response the axle tilts depending on whether the tires are on level ground.

We need more information on your laws and how they check this. When the axle is flexed it’s at an angle and the top of the tire is angled inwards, if the measurement is square to the ground then it might not take much for the widest part of the tire (the sidewall) to protrude past the farthest part of the fender.

The law is basically when all four tyres are on level ground, the wheel as a whole cannot protrude outwards of the guard without something covering it.

There's a lot of room 'under' the guard and typically folk will lift the suspension and then lengthen bump stops to prevent longer shocks bottoming out. That pretty well keeps the tyre from rubbing into the guard (for a 35" nominal tyre).

I doubt you'll find a typical wide 35" that will NOT stick out beyond the guard.

Also, consider that in the US, vehicle rules (at least getting pulled up for violating them) are quite lax and it is common to see folk running 4wds with tyres sticking well outside the guards - as in a couple of inches.

In oz I highly doubt you'll get away with not having to add some sort of flare to keep the tyres covered if you don't want to be pulled over in a few minutes of hitting the pavement...

cheers,
george.

I am not concerned about fowling on the roof of the wheelwells, but I am more concerned about the inside face of the tyre hitting the inside wall of the wheelwell, or suspension components... e.g. when turning corners.

I did a lot of digging and I may have answered my own question.

Here is a photo of how I want the tyres to sit. These tyres sit just within the guards.

YL8H4uM.jpg

This wheel specs in this photo are 17x8" with +13mm offset.

The tyres are 285/70r17 which equates to 32.7x11.2" tyres.

So essentially I want to run 35x12.5" tyres... the extra diameter is no issue, if I use the same width and offset rim I will have an extra 1.3" of tyre width, meaning an extra 0.65" or approximately 1.7 centimetres of tyre on each side. That is a very very small amount, so I think they will sit within the guards, and I highly doubt that an extra 1.7cm will cause any fouling inside on the inner wall or suspension components.

Regardless, if anyone still fits the brief of 35" tyres under or in line with flareless guards please post some photos to reassure me before I go and spend a lot of money!

The wheel or tire because the tire can stick out way past the wheel? And if it’s the tire, is it the tread or sidewall?

It isn't specified but it is usually considered to the be tread of the wheel or the actual rim itself. A bit of sidewall sticking out , but with the tread still under the guards is usually okay.

Lots of folk run 35" inch tyres on 80's, they won't foul suspension and with a bit of lift and bump stop blocks the tyres won't significantly rub in the wells, chassis or fender lip.

They WILL stick out beyond the fender, that's why the flares are there. Remove the flares and you have plenty of rubber sticking out. The oz cops will NOT be happy. If you ever have to take it over the pits they WILL require you to add flares. BTDT (in W. Aust)...

A flareless 4wd with tyres sticking out will flip lots of mud all over the side of the vehicle/windows etc. Fine if you're a w/end warrior and 'love' the mud look, less fine if you are on a trip for days/weeks and have mud all over the side of the vehicle. There really is a benefit in keeping some kind of flare to extend over the protruding tyres.

You could just measure it for yourself. You have an 80 already presumably. Just measure your existing wheel centerline and then add 1/2 the tyre width of your candidate tyre (inflated) to determine how far out from the fender it will protrude. Then visit your local oz vehicle inspection station and ask them if it would be an issue...

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom