Builds 1985 4Runner: 35s, No Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Small update... Tailgate swap, new bumper, and trip to Disney, OK.

I had nothing better to do between semesters, so I bought a pickup tailgate from Jim's Toyota Parts and swapped in onto the 4Runner. The pickup tailgate shaves roughly 4" off of the rear, and allows for stronger rear bumper mounting. It also weighs significantly less than the fat 4Runner tailgate.

View attachment 1621461
View attachment 1621450
Cut line.

View attachment 1621466
At Disney.

View attachment 1621444
Addicted Offroad front bumper. No more ghetto pipe and ziptied blinkers for me. Winch should be here tomorrow.

View attachment 1621447
Poser Shot.

Nice work! Especially on the left rear of that bed! :D

I was going to run 33s on my '80 pickup but you have me leaning towards 35s again. Do you hit your steering box/pitman arm with the tires at all?

More wheeling photos!

I was going to run 33s on my '80 pickup but you have me leaning towards 35s again. Do you hit your steering box/pitman arm with the tires at all?

More wheeling photos!

At street pressure, there is just a bit of rub on the pitman arm and steering box at full lock. Once aired down to 12 psi, I don't notice any rubbing. I did grind down the sharp corner of the stop on the box to prevent it from cutting the tire. KM2s have a pretty smooth outer tread block, so a little rub isn't as big of a deal as it would be with more aggressive outer tread (ex. trepadors). If needed, you could always gain some clearance with different backspacing.

vlcsnap-2018-02-21-17h02m39s762.png
IMG_3963.JPG

vlcsnap-2018-02-21-17h01m23s708.png

IMG_20171230_141908129.jpg

IMG_3951.JPG

Tried this on my stock 85 with a set of 35 in treps on stock new taco steelies and spacers. I was all into the steering box turning to the right. No bueno.

bBI2d13m.jpg
PjRku6wm.jpg

I really like the soft top and truck tailgate. When you say it shaves 4" off the rear how do you mean? Just overall thickness? I guess this is what allows a high bumper mounting thus a better departure angle. I like it. Seems better than a bob'd rear and lose of cargo space.

I really like the soft top and truck tailgate. When you say it shaves 4" off the rear how do you mean? Just overall thickness? I guess this is what allows a high bumper mounting thus a better departure angle. I like it. Seems better than a bob'd rear and lose of cargo space.

The 4" clearance gain I was referring to is the height of the bottom of the tailgate. The bottom of stock 4Runner tailgate was 31" off the ground. The pickup tailgate is at 35".

Before and after showing the removed sheet metal:
IMG_20180116_132202039.jpg

IMG_20180116_171054300.jpg

The issue with most 4Runner rear bumpers is that the brackets have to dip down from the frame in order to clear the body. As a result, the mounting is usually weak. With the pickup tailgate, the bumper can come straight off of the frame. Sometime this summer I plan on building a simple, high clearance bumper with an easily removable bike carrier swingout.

Question regarding factory build & specs - I recently picked up a set of Toyota Original wheels - see picture below. Has anyone run KO2 LT 215/75? Will they fit? The wheels themselves need to be cleared - Going to bring them and see if they spin correctly with dents

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

The 4" clearance gain I was referring to is the height of the bottom of the tailgate. The bottom of stock 4Runner tailgate was 31" off the ground. The pickup tailgate is at 35".

Before and after showing the removed sheet metal:
View attachment 1655088
View attachment 1655090

The issue with most 4Runner rear bumpers is that the brackets have to dip down from the frame in order to clear the body. As a result, the mounting is usually weak. With the pickup tailgate, the bumper can come straight off of the frame. Sometime this summer I plan on building a simple, high clearance bumper with an easily removable bike carrier swingout.

Awesome!!! Drives your description home. I had seen a bumper build for an F250 expedition rig that was clearanced similarly. I like it. If I can find build on expedition forum I'll share link. Not that you need it.

Question regarding factory build & specs - I recently picked up a set of Toyota Original wheels - see picture below. Has anyone run KO2 LT 215/75? Will they fit? The wheels themselves need to be cleared - Going to bring them and see if they spin correctly with dents
I run 31-10.50's on an IFS truck with no lift on those wheels & have no touch-down anywhere.

Pacer - Does your Land Cruiser have about the same spacing as a first gen 4runner?
No, 40s and 60s share similar offsets, mini trucks and 80s are about an inch less.
I run 1" spacers.
If my post was irrelevant, I thought you were asking how the tire fit the 7" wide rims.

That’s a great truck! Awesome color to. I have 33 at on, they rub a little full stuff with 3in leafs no trimming.

Pacer - Does your Land Cruiser have about the same spacing as a first gen 4runner?

That wheel style came with a different backspacing for the early 90's 3FE Land Cruisers then they did with 4Runners. Cruisers have less backspacing, so you need to get wheel spacers in order to run 4Runner wheels on a Cruiser. The other way, Cruiser wheels on a 1st/2nd gen 4Runner, would work just fine. Bolt spacing, of course, is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom