Wanted FJ40 in Southeast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m looking for a FJ40 in the southeast. I’m in the Florida panhandle but travel to Birmingham fairly often. My budget is ~$12K.

I want mostly stock with a hardtop, and doors. Some mods are ok— I just don’t want a crawler.

I would prefer 72-78, but interested in all years.

It needs to be driveable, but correctable imperfections are OK.

Thanks for the time!

One for sale on craigslist/ eBay in Pace...not sure what the price is
Good luck

North of the 331 bridge I saw a shop with what looked like a 40 or two sitting out front. My wife wouldnt let me stop but looked like could be a nice red hard top 70s model a month or two ago. Might be worth poking around and seeing if they have any leads to someone wanting to sell.

North of the 331 bridge I saw a shop with what looked like a 40 or two sitting out front. My wife wouldnt let me stop but looked like could be a nice red hard top 70s model a month or two ago. Might be worth poking around and seeing if they have any leads to someone wanting to sell.

Nice lead @alabamatacomaguy ! I will certainly do that. I hope you enjoyed your vacation on the emerald coast

Nice lead @alabamatacomaguy ! I will certainly do that. I hope you enjoyed your vacation on the emerald coast
I live in Gulf Breeze, parents have a place in Miramar Beach I try to live at as much as work allows. We were heading to seaside that day but coming from up in Pensacola so took a different route to avoid that nightmare traffic that comes with tourist and the devil mid-bay bridge toll. Im from Bham area suburb but wanted to live near gulf

There are a couple nice 40s in the destin area driving around. A nice guy I bumped into a few years back has a costa rican bj 40 and I see a couple other rare none us models driving around. I kept my project one in a storage place across from the outlets a few years back.

They do a giant cars and coffee event in destin once a month witch also might give you some leads. FWB im sure has some good condition 40s to be found and bought from owners who lost interest and dont care so maybe could find something in that area.
Your budget is a good one and can buy alot of cruiser if you are patient and do your homework. If you havent had a cruiser before I would say stay away from rusty bodys unless you can fix that yourself or want to learn to weld to fix properly. Motor and drivetrain stuff can be repaired at home if you are up for it or by mechanics. NO one wants to work on old rusty body parts, it was impossible for me to find a bodyshop that wanted to work on my last 40. I found a guy in crestview on craigslist that did a good job welding but he wasnt a professional body man, finding a painter proved to be such a pain I sold the truck and found a finished one.

I also found searching each area individually or getting a craigslist app to search several areas at once would return more results for my searches. IE a search of destin craiglist might not always pull up a result from fwb or panama city. I would search fj40, fj 40, toyota, jeep, landcruiser, land cruiser, fj everyday and it would pull more results since it goes by what people type in their adds

I live in Gulf Breeze, parents have a place in Miramar Beach I try to live at as much as work allows. We were heading to seaside that day but coming from up in Pensacola so took a different route to avoid that nightmare traffic that comes with tourist and the devil mid-bay bridge toll. Im from Bham area suburb but wanted to live near gulf

There are a couple nice 40s in the destin area driving around. A nice guy I bumped into a few years back has a costa rican bj 40 and I see a couple other rare none us models driving around. I kept my project one in a storage place across from the outlets a few years back.

They do a giant cars and coffee event in destin once a month witch also might give you some leads. FWB im sure has some good condition 40s to be found and bought from owners who lost interest and dont care so maybe could find something in that area.
Your budget is a good one and can buy alot of cruiser if you are patient and do your homework. If you havent had a cruiser before I would say stay away from rusty bodys unless you can fix that yourself or want to learn to weld to fix properly. Motor and drivetrain stuff can be repaired at home if you are up for it or by mechanics. NO one wants to work on old rusty body parts, it was impossible for me to find a bodyshop that wanted to work on my last 40. I found a guy in crestview on craigslist that did a good job welding but he wasnt a professional body man, finding a painter proved to be such a pain I sold the truck and found a finished one.

I also found searching each area individually or getting a craigslist app to search several areas at once would return more results for my searches. IE a search of destin craiglist might not always pull up a result from fwb or panama city. I would search fj40, fj 40, toyota, jeep, landcruiser, land cruiser, fj everyday and it would pull more results since it goes by what people type in their adds

Wow, thanks for the great tips! We moved from Hoover down to the Destin area last year. Seaside is a great place to visit for the day. There are some great places to eat all down 30A.
I haven’t been to the Destin cars and coffee yet, but I have been to the Fort Walton beach one. I didn’t ask around there, but will certainly do so in the future.
It’s good to get feedback on my budget — I’m worried it is too low to get a good cruiser.
This will be my first cruiser, and while I would like to improve my welding skills, I don’t want a 40 to be the unfortunate recipient.
Thanks again!

Small world Im from Hoover. Destin is perfect......until tourist season

I knew nothing of landcruisers or restoring cars when I got my 40 a few years back, I just had different modern toyota 4x4s. Really got in over my head without a garage using just a storage unit since tv shows make it look easy like here is a patch panel just weld it in..... more to it than that and usually the rust thats on the surface is just the beginning though these naturally rusted like most vehicles before they left the dealer. Finding a body shop that will work on a rusty old vehicle body is hard since it doesnt pay as well as typical work I learned pretty quick. People on here do say they are the best thing to learn about welding on since the fj40 doesnt have complex curves, if i didnt work so much I would try and I hope to down the road

From what Ive learned I would get as rust free a vehicle as you can and enjoy it. People do drive them for decades with rust holes and are just fine but I get bothered by that type of thing

Look on here for a while and watch what they are going for to get an idea for a fair cruiser price. yes some go for 100K plus but those are the outliers and not common at all. Keep your cash to buy ready and jump on a deal when you find one, they are rare but not extremely rare so dont get to upset if someone beats you to buying one theres always another. I lost out on two before I got my current one

This site is probably the best in the world for keeping one of these running and learning about them, youll see people post from all countries and most everyone is nice and likes to talk about landcruisers and see pictures of them

the earlier in the 70s you go the better condition sheet metal you will typically see as they used a thicker steel or treated it differently in the early 70s. the later models tend to have more rust but have better parts like a 4 speed transmission and more powerful 2f motor, 79-83 had a better tcase and other parts but you didnt seem to interested in those, they also cost the most and seem to rust more from what ive seen

here are some links from here to get started

*** Purchasing an FJ-40 / FJ-40 B U Y E R S G U I D E *** (f A Q )

Buying a land Cruiser

once you do find a 40 look on here before buying parts for it. I learned the hard way buy toyota brand parts when its an option or youll end up buying things twice. Also if someone is a sponsored vendor here they have a good reputation. Several places have popped up on the internet over the years ripping people off selling cruiser parts, if someone has a good rep here they earned it putting up will all of us annoyingly asking them 50 thousand questions so they could sell one part haha

I spend weekdays in Montgomery and weekends on the bayou in Santa Rosa Beach. I'm looking for a beater toyota to keep down there, 80s model pickup or a single cab tacoma with a 5 speed. Feel free to PM if you see any deals and I'll do the same with FJ40s. There's a guy in auburn who just sold a nice 60 series.

Small world Im from Hoover. Destin is perfect......until tourist season

I knew nothing of landcruisers or restoring cars when I got my 40 a few years back, I just had different modern toyota 4x4s. Really got in over my head without a garage using just a storage unit since tv shows make it look easy like here is a patch panel just weld it in..... more to it than that and usually the rust thats on the surface is just the beginning though these naturally rusted like most vehicles before they left the dealer. Finding a body shop that will work on a rusty old vehicle body is hard since it doesnt pay as well as typical work I learned pretty quick. People on here do say they are the best thing to learn about welding on since the fj40 doesnt have complex curves, if i didnt work so much I would try and I hope to down the road

From what Ive learned I would get as rust free a vehicle as you can and enjoy it. People do drive them for decades with rust holes and are just fine but I get bothered by that type of thing

Look on here for a while and watch what they are going for to get an idea for a fair cruiser price. yes some go for 100K plus but those are the outliers and not common at all. Keep your cash to buy ready and jump on a deal when you find one, they are rare but not extremely rare so dont get to upset if someone beats you to buying one theres always another. I lost out on two before I got my current one

This site is probably the best in the world for keeping one of these running and learning about them, youll see people post from all countries and most everyone is nice and likes to talk about landcruisers and see pictures of them

the earlier in the 70s you go the better condition sheet metal you will typically see as they used a thicker steel or treated it differently in the early 70s. the later models tend to have more rust but have better parts like a 4 speed transmission and more powerful 2f motor, 79-83 had a better tcase and other parts but you didnt seem to interested in those, they also cost the most and seem to rust more from what ive seen

here are some links from here to get started

*** Purchasing an FJ-40 / FJ-40 B U Y E R S G U I D E *** (f A Q )

Buying a land Cruiser

once you do find a 40 look on here before buying parts for it. I learned the hard way buy toyota brand parts when its an option or youll end up buying things twice. Also if someone is a sponsored vendor here they have a good reputation. Several places have popped up on the internet over the years ripping people off selling cruiser parts, if someone has a good rep here they earned it putting up will all of us annoyingly asking them 50 thousand questions so they could sell one part haha

Small world. Hoover wasn’t a bad place to live — you can certainly get much more House for your money there than you can down in Destin. And I had a great 3 car garage with basement that spanned the entire footprint of my house...can’t find anything like that down here.

I’m quickly finding mud is a great place to get info and find people willing to help. It seems like mid-70s might be the way to go for 40s to minimize rust. I would probably go for a newer one too if that came along for the right price and minimal rust. I’m also the type of person that wouldn’t be OK with driving around with rust holes in a frame.

I spend weekdays in Montgomery and weekends on the bayou in Santa Rosa Beach. I'm looking for a beater toyota to keep down there, 80s model pickup or a single cab tacoma with a 5 speed. Feel free to PM if you see any deals and I'll do the same with FJ40s. There's a guy in auburn who just sold a nice 60 series.

I saw a second gen 4Runner 4x4 for sale on Facebook for $500. Ad said it had 200k mikes and not currently running. I haven’t seen any pick ups though

Small world. Hoover wasn’t a bad place to live — you can certainly get much more House for your money there than you can down in Destin. And I had a great 3 car garage with basement that spanned the entire footprint of my house...can’t find anything like that down here.

I’m quickly finding mud is a great place to get info and find people willing to help. It seems like mid-70s might be the way to go for 40s to minimize rust. I would probably go for a newer one too if that came along for the right price and minimal rust. I’m also the type of person that wouldn’t be OK with driving around with rust holes in a frame.

Only BIG problem with hoover is the over development. I still find it to be a beautiful area to visit especially in the spring when everything is green. I do miss those large basements, my grandfather had a small house off of Al Seier with a large basement full of tools (sae only though)... I was limited what I could bring down by my garage size here and unfortunately the heat can be to much when I do get time off 90 +degree temps make it hard to work long in a sweat box of a garage. I found a storage unit to be quite acceptable when I had to have a place to store my 40 in destin while I traveled for work and didnt have a house at the time. It was nice to pull it out and work on it in the beach breeze air.

I would constantly check craigslist, not trying to hijack Fl Phillips thread but I have seen some sweet deals on 80's model toyota pickups and 4 runners pop up there. One I still think about from a few months ago I shared in the p/u classifeds here was a clean early 80 pickup for a killer price, it sold quick. 40s are expensive right now and it seems anything made by toyota that has a transfer case is gaining value right now, I blame the insane new vehicle prices. I remember a few years ago 500-1000 4runners and pickups were out there and not hard to find. I would start a thread in the pickup classifieds looking for one in the southeast you will probably get some feedback as pickups and 4runners seem to have been more common down here than 40's

got a 65 fj40 on CL in charlotte NC

IMG_2941.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom