Exploring! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
Hey everyone!

So our little outing this weekend has inspired me to do some exploring and I'm looking for a trail buddy. Anyone interested? I'd like to check these two routes out...

full

The orange route goes up from Cabelas through the Verdi Peak OHV area and down to Stampede Reservoir. I see some other routes that would take me closer to Beacon Point along the way that might be more interesting, if less direct. Orange Route is 11.9 miles and maxes at 6,562 feet. The red route eventually joins up with Hawk Meadow Trail (I think???) and dumps you out up on the 395. It is 22 miles and maxes out way up at 7,857 ft! 34 miles might be a bit much for one day, so may maybe two separate excursions are would be more practical?

I've never been up in these areas. Have any of you?

I'm thinking this might be a fun club run some time too. I know Stampede has swimming, fishing spots, camp grounds, etc. and people could just take the 80 back from Boca if they didn't want to trail back out again. Heck! I weekend trip would be fun too though. Head out early morning, drive over the range camp in one of the group camping areas. Fish, swim at Stampede the next morning, then head back home in the afternoon. IDK, maybe I am too ambitious!

Anyway, anyone game to see if the roads/trails are open in the near future? name a day and I can make it happen... You'll just have to tolerate my Bronco again for the journey! :D

I've run in this area a few times... often from Verdi to Babbitt Peak... maybe with a side trip to Verdi Peak. Difficulty factor only 1 when dry (all graded service roads) but makes for a nice excursion. Great views from the peaks. Babbitt may still have an operating watch tower on it, Verdi hasn't operated in many years.

The route to Babbitt Peak is up Dog Valley Rd to Henness Pass Rd to Sardine Valley (?) Rd (S860) or Smithneck Rd. to Babbitt Rd. For the Verdi Peak side trip, you take Verdi Pass Road turnoff off of Henness Pass Rd (where Sunrise Creek Rd comes in).

I've not played on played on the roads north of Dog Valley through Long Valley to Bordertown.

I've run in this area a few times... often from Verdi to Babbitt Peak... maybe with a side trip to Verdi Peak. Difficulty factor only 1 when dry (all forest service roads) but makes for a nice excursion. Great views from the peaks. Babbitt may still have an operating watch tower on it, Verdi hasn't operated in many years.

The route to Babbitt Peak is up Dog Valley Rd to Henness Pass Rd to Sardine Valley (?) Rd (S860) or Smithneck Rd. to Babbitt Rd. For the Verdi Peak side trip, you take Verdi Pass Road turnoff off of Henness Pass Rd (where Sunrise Creek Rd comes in).

I've not played on played on the roads north of Dog Valley through Long Valley to Bordertown.

1? Maybe I don't need a buddy for these routes! It is still a lot more fun with others there though. Thanks for the info Kurt.

1? Maybe I don't need a buddy for these routes! It is still a lot more fun with others there though. Thanks for the info Kurt.
With the exception of Verdi Pass Road, these roads are all well maintained service roads. 2WD, no lift would be fine WHEN DRY. Verdi Pass Road is rougher, so I guess that would be a 2. (I hate number ratings.)

Last edited:
With the exception of Verdi Pass Road, these roads are all well maintained service roads. 2WD, no lift would be fine WHEN DRY. Verdi Pass Road is rougher, so I guess that would be a 2. (I hate number ratings :)

Me too. It is too subjective, but I can't think of a better system though... :meh: You were on the trip to the petroglyphs this weekend, right? As a frame of reference, what would you rate those trails?

Me too. It is too subjective, but I can't think of a better system though... :meh: You were on the trip to the petroglyphs this weekend, right? As a frame of reference, what would you rate those trails?
I didn't make the last run... but I've been to the petroglyphs many times on different routes. The routes I've taken in are mostly 2s... with Lousetown Road being a 1.

But conditions matter a lot! There's a huge difference between January and August. Now would be somewhere in the middle depending on how much snow is in the area.

Keep in mind that lake will be coooold this time of year. You can also do that run 1 way by coming back on the freeway. If you have not been up Peavine the view is well worth it. I might be up for going out that way after church some sunday. We are out exploring almost every weekend but we usually go east (from Fernley). We went up Toulon peak a couple weeks ago and did a drive down Dixie Valley the next day. We will probably go somewhere tomorrow but I haven't thought about where yet. We've been meaning to run Ophir grade again sometime.

Keep in mind that lake will be coooold this time of year. You can also do that run 1 way by coming back on the freeway. If you have not been up Peavine the view is well worth it. I might be up for going out that way after church some sunday. We are out exploring almost every weekend but we usually go east (from Fernley). We went up Toulon peak a couple weeks ago and did a drive down Dixie Valley the next day. We will probably go somewhere tomorrow but I haven't thought about where yet. We've been meaning to run Ophir grade again sometime.

That'd be great! Obviously this Sunday is a no (unless we want angry wives/moms) :hmm: Maybe the 20th?

I haven't been all the way up to Peavine Peak yet, just exploring some of the trails around my house near Summerset. I tried to take the blue trail, but that spot where the little pointer hand is has a very steep incline that I was afraid to attempt in my stock Bronco with no one around to assist.

full

I really do want to go up to Stampeded and maybe out to Jackson Meadows Reservoir soon. Thanks for the offer and we should absolutely make plans to explore!

After church yesterday we cruised down to Minden and made a run over Sunrise pass. A nice drive. It got super slick in the rain but we made it ok. Had to stop and air down a bit extra. Rain on the desert is always beautiful.

The time we went up Peavine we tried the south side before giving up and going around to the north side and heading up the tower service road. Any mountain with towers on it you know at least ONE of the roads up it will be fairly easy. We took a scenic route back down the North west side. There is a lot of pretty country up there. Next weekend could work.

After church yesterday we cruised down to Minden and made a run over Sunrise pass. A nice drive. It got super slick in the rain but we made it ok. Had to stop and air down a bit extra. Rain on the desert is always beautiful.

The time we went up Peavine we tried the south side before giving up and going around to the north side and heading up the tower service road. Any mountain with towers on it you know at least ONE of the roads up it will be fairly easy. We took a scenic route back down the North west side. There is a lot of pretty country up there. Next weekend could work.

Nice! Yeah the south side up to Peavine seems to be tough. It looks like there might be some better trails from the Eastern approach too. I just put the Bronco in the air this morning. The old exhaust and headers are a mess and I have had a set of new shorty headers and catback exhaust sitting in my garage for a few months now and I decided it was time to bite the bullet and get it all installed. I should have it all back together by this weekend. My son has prom on Saturday, but I should be free Sunday after 2PM if you wanna meet up and do some wheeling. Will you be available next Sunday?

Sunday is good! Maybe Peavine or over the ridge to get to Stampede. That route you posted above might work if the snow is off that pass. (seems like it should be)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom