May 5th St Anthony Sand Dunes Organizational Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Making this so that we can have one spot to start coordinating and figure out who's going.

As many of you know the 406 cruisers trip to the St Anthony sand dunes is just over a week away. I myself have never been but have spent a decent amount of time on the sand in Moab and am super excited for this trip.

A few quick links to some useful information about the dunes
St. Anthony Sand Dunes | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
St Anthony Sand Dunes Idaho Information Rexburg Motorsports & GearHead Rexburg, ID (877) 745-3617

The address for the campground. Sand Hills Resort 865 Red Rd, St Anthony, ID 83445.

Some Safety Requirements and Other Need To Know Info
  • Everyone is required to have a flag that is at least 8 feet above the ground on their rig. These can be found for around 10 dollars locally. Most flags mount using a 1/2 inch bolt
  • A functioning CB of some sort, whether handheld or dash mount, is a necessity. They will be crucial in communicating with each other and coordinating so no one runs into each other or gets hurt.
  • Tie your stuff down! if you don't things will be flying around which is not only dangerous but just plain annoying. If you have a cargo box system, secure it and keep things in the drawers, if you don't backpacks or duffle bags work well for keeping things together and making them easier to tie down.
  • Ensure your cooling system is functioning well and doesn't have any issues. Driving up and down the dunes will put a lot of stress on the coiling system especially your transmission cooler for those with automatics.
  • Keep in mind we are a long ways from home and in an area where recoveries will not necessarily be easy, so bring your recovery gear and any spare parts you see fit.
  • And most importantly, have fun and be prepared to get sand in places you didn't know it could get!

Basic Sum of everyone's plans so far:

CB channel 4 and HAM 146.460 will be used for coms. I will be sure to leave my CB on and Johnny will have his HAM on so anyone rolling in later can reach us.

@JohnnyOshow22, @ttFJC @1jzhilux and myself will be convoying down Friday evening. meeting at Casey's Corner in 4 corners and leaving at 5 anyone else wanting to join let us know.

There will also be a group coming down Saturday morning but details for that have not been nailed down yet. I will update this once I know.

@Tanaman will be heading down earlier Friday and meeting up with the rest of the group later on

@Bozotaco will be heading down Saturday morning and be meeting up with the rest of the group at the dunes

@87BJ74 and the "slow" train will be leaving around 4 on Friday and will be meeting up with everyone at the dunes.

If I made any mistakes let me know

Last edited:
@Black798 I'm in for leaving friday so let's coordinate. I have the whole day off so I can leave whenever and I believe @ttFJC will be able to leave around 5 too

If everyone is good with it CB channel 4 and ham 146.460 so that people can find us if they come at different times to the dunes. KK0TEQ

Last edited:
Leaving at five works great. Should we say a convoy leaves from 4 Corners @ 5 on May 4th? Gas up at Casey's Corner and hit the road.

Stoked to try out the ham.

Leaving at five works great. Should we say a convoy leaves from 4 Corners @ 5 on May 4th? Gas up at Casey's Corner and hit the road.

Stoked to try out the ham.

That sounds good to me. I get off work at 4:30 so I should be able to make it out to 4 corners by 5. I only have CB so Ill be on channel 4 as Johnny said. A ham is on the never-ending list

I’m planning on going down Friday some time since I don’t work Friday and I have never been so I want to do some exploring before hand. I guess I will just have to keep an eye out for y’all to show up that evening

I plan on going down early Saturday. I have to work on Friday and my kids have activities Friday night so leaving Friday is not possible for me. I’ll make my way to the resort address above - please let me know if you guys plan on shipping out at a specific time Saturday morning. Look forward to a fun weekend!

I think the group departed 4 corners at 6:00 or was it 5:00? I was already in West Yellowstone with the family and met the caravan as they passed through. The Saturday morning works best for me this time. Attn Black798

You will need a place on your rig to attach a flag that ends up being 8 feet above ground level. Front mount is the best for visibility as you launch over a dune with nothing but blue sky in your windshield. A standard flag needs a 1/2 in mounting hole. We have 406Cruiser flags made for this trip but am not sure the hole diameter for them. How many flags do we have and who will be bringing them?

Last edited:
Just edited the first post to have a summary of what everyone's plans are, let me know if I need to make any changes

Anyone know a place in town where I could get a flag for the dunes? and @Black798 put on the first post that ill leave my Ham on for the evening for any rolling in late friday

Anyone know a place in town where I could get a flag for the dunes? and @Black798 put on the first post that ill leave my Ham on for the evening for any rolling in late friday

I believe Sportsmans warehouse and Walmart have them pretty cheap. Any of the ATV shops should have them too. I got mine through Rexburg motorsports but it took them like a week to ship...

Yes, Sportsmans Warehouse has about 6 in stock as of today located with the ATV stuff.

I’m planning on going down Friday some time since I don’t work Friday and I have never been so I want to do some exploring before hand. I guess I will just have to keep an eye out for y’all to show up that evening

It’s a three hour drive depending on traffic and such. So I’m gonna just set up camp for the night and make dinner when we get there. Shouldn’t be hard to find us if we’re closeish to the sand RV resort. @Black798 What’s the edin lake campground?

And you mentioned some idahomies that are trying to make it out??

Looks like it’s going to be a great turnout already.

Based on the April meeting link 406 Cruisers April Meeting

I was under the impression the event was from the 5th-6th and that the group was also camping the night of the 5th and then heading back on the 6th. Does any one plan on camping on Saturday night as well? My buddy and I will be staying Saturday night.

It’s a three hour drive depending on traffic and such. So I’m gonna just set up camp for the night and make dinner when we get there. Shouldn’t be hard to find us if we’re closeish to the sand RV resort. @Black798 What’s the edin lake campground?

And you mentioned some idahomies that are trying to make it out??

Looks like it’s going to be a great turnout already.

Aaron, I must have been looking at the wrong section of map last night :doh: The Egin lakes campground is on the complete other side of the dunes and is the main rv complex. Oops. And that is right I am under the impression there are two guys from Boise who are driving out and meeting us there. I need to double check with them to see if they're still going and make sure they got their flags.

@Bozotaco you are correct that the club event on the calendar is Saturday and Sunday. I think those of us heading down on Friday are just getting an early jump on things. Speaking for myself I'm going down early to get some more time to play around after finals week and most likely will be staying through Saturday night and heading back midday Sunday to Bozeman.

Aaron, I must have been looking at the wrong section of map last night :doh: The Egin lakes campground is on the complete other side of the dunes and is the main rv complex. Oops. And that is right I am under the impression there are two guys from Boise who are driving out and meeting us there. I need to double check with them to see if they're still going and make sure they got their flags.

@Bozotaco you are correct that the club event on the calendar is Saturday and Sunday. I think those of us heading down on Friday are just getting an early jump on things. Speaking for myself I'm going down early to get some more time to play around after finals week and most likely will be staying through Saturday night and heading back midday Sunday to Bozeman.
Haha.

Got it! Thanks.

Based on the April meeting link 406 Cruisers April Meeting

I was under the impression the event was from the 5th-6th and that the group was also camping the night of the 5th and then heading back on the 6th. Does any one plan on camping on Saturday night as well? My buddy and I will be staying Saturday night.

I’ll be camping out Saturday night. A few of us just kinda don’t wanna rush to get there early Saturday morning. What’s typically happened has is the main convoy will leave 4 corners about 5-6 in the am and get to the dunes around 9ish. I think a good plan would be for us to all meet up at the sand resort at 9 to let everyone get a chance to air down and quick safety check/brief for anyone who hasn’t been before.
Then we’ll drive back into the dunes and let people get used to driving on sand and do some lite exploring and then lunch by the lake. Continue to play and head to the far side where the big burms are. We all went to have dinner in town at the Mexican restaurant and after called it a day and camped out. We were so exhausted that we left early Sunday and it started to rain but some went back in to play more

At least that how it went down last year.

I’ll be camping out Saturday night. A few of us just kinda don’t wanna rush to get there early Saturday morning. What’s typically happened has is the main convoy will leave 4 corners about 5-6 in the am and get to the dunes around 9ish. I think a good plan would be for us to all meet up at the sand resort at 9 to let everyone get a chance to air down and quick safety check/brief for anyone who hasn’t been before.
Then we’ll drive back into the dunes and let people get used to driving on sand and do some lite exploring and then lunch by the lake. Continue to play and head to the far side where the big burms are. We all went to have dinner in town at the Mexican restaurant and after called it a day and camped out. We were so exhausted that we left early Sunday and it started to rain but some went back in to play more

At least that how it went down last year.

Appreciate the insight. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom