where to route wires to large rear door? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DamoPeru

SILVER Star
Threads
Would anyone with factory rear wipers be so kind as to show via photos exactly where Mr. T chose to put the cable grommets on the body and the rear door for the factory wiper wiring?

I'm doing some mods to my rear back door that requires power and I think that Mr. T probably gave it more thought (and testing) than I'm capable of in terms of finding where the flexing cable stress would be the least.

Hello Damien,

All the wiring going to the back of my Troopie sits in a sort of trough that is at the same height as the rain gutters. So, above your windows, run your fingers there and you'll find it (them, i'm assuming there's the same thing on both sides). My wiring is run up the A-pillar, but not inside it, which would be a much more elegant method.
I like to think another route would be at the bottom of the body sides, however considering that moisture (so i was told) would fall to that location, and drains for that are are located there, that may shorten the life of the conductors' insulation; i've no personal experience with that.
Hope that's useful.

Last edited:
Hello Damien,

All the wiring going to the back of my Troopie sits in a sort of trough that is at the same height as the rain gutters. So, above your windows, run your fingers there and you'll find it (them, i'm assuming there's the same thing on both sides). My wiring is run up the A-pillar, but not inside it, which would be a much more elegant method.
I like to think another route would be at the bottom of the body sides, however considering that moisture (so i was told) would fall to that location, and drains for that are are located there, that may shorten the life of the conductors' insulation; i've no personal experience with that.
Hope that's useful.
hey thanks, but i was talking about running wires out of the body itself, through the air and then into the large rear door, just as the small rear door has for the licence plate lights, so i'm wondering where would be best to drill the holes for the cable grommets.

I can't see any marks under the paint that would indicate where it would have been drilled, but the factory location would be best, so hopefully someone with wipers can chime in and send me some photos of where the grommets are

DAE89F4B-7853-480C-AFA6-2C4B979DEA2F.jpeg
28737B2B-FD8A-4758-A4F1-B536C3CE0FF7.jpeg
If no one else chimes in, I'll take a look at mine when I get home tonight...

This is on my JDM BJ73

How does the positioning look on the troopy window? Its not going to get the top part of the window if you are using a SWB or MWB wiper, but I suppose it wont matter.

How does the positioning look on the troopy window? Its not going to get the top part of the window if you are using a SWB or MWB wiper, but I suppose it wont matter.
I'm not retro installing wipers, going to do something custom that requires 12V, i just knew that the rear wipers were the only factory accessory that required power into the door. I had a look at my door and its exactly the same as the JDM BJ73, so will work a treat using those points

I had a look at my door and its exactly the same as the JDM BJ73

Except that the top half is 100mm taller on the troopy. Although this shouldn't make a difference to the sweep of the wiper.

Except that the top half is 100mm taller on the troopy. Although this shouldn't make a difference to the sweep of the wiper.
i'll never know cause i'm not installing wipers, only talking about the section of interest in the photos where the grommets are

Hello,

Just for reference, the rear wiper on SWB and MWB models is 60 mm / 2 3/8 in. shorter than the front wipers.

Since the rear door is taller on Troopies, I guess a 410 mm / 16 in. or longer wiper will fit.

Juan

I guess someone could check the part numbers and see if they vary, as the troopy comes with rear wipers in some models. If I was retro fitting I'd just buy the troopy ones

I had my rear windows replaced with ones that have the defrost function, so here are some pictures which may (or may not) be of use. Took a while to reply as i was away for a few days.
The second picture is a factory access hole on the right side, near the bottom of the rear of the fender. The first picture shows the feed wire for the large rear door's defroster as it comes out of the trim piece that covers the welded body bits; how that wire got routed to there is something i forgot; seems possible that it comes from the left side. And the last picture, with a corner of the rubber mat lifted, shows another factory hole at the very rear of the floor, right side.

20180422_144018.jpg

20180422_144053.jpg

20180422_144210.jpg

Hello,

I just remembered this.

The rear right door wire hole is prone to chafing the harness. Once this happens, the exposed wire makes an extra -and unwanted- ground connection that messes with the electrics. And it is hard to find. Ask me how I know.

Make sure the grommet is a good fit. Make sure the harness does not chafe as well.

Juan

Hello,

I just remembered this.

The rear right door wire hole is prone to chafing the harness. Once this happens, the exposed wire makes an extra -and unwanted- ground connection that messes with the electrics. And it is hard to find. Ask me how I know.

Make sure the grommet is a good fit. Make sure the harness does not chafe as well.
Juan
good tip, I'll wrap it in loom tape and then cover it in PET braided sleeving that is smooth yet resistant to a decent amount of friction.

I guess i'll find out soon, but is the wire designed to slip in and out of the grommet, or is it supposed to be fixed to the grommet and bend as the door closes?

good tip, I'll wrap it in loom tape and then cover it in PET braided sleeving that is smooth yet resistant to a decent amount of friction.

I guess i'll find out soon, but is the wire designed to slip in and out of the grommet, or is it supposed to be fixed to the grommet and bend as the door closes?

Hello,

The wire is designed to slip in and out of the grommet. If the harness is properly shielded it slides through the grommet with little friction as the door opens/closes.

Auto mechanics/electricians either take out the grommet or remove the harness cover; sometimes they do both things. They also try to glue the grommet to the wire. In every case the wire ends up chafed and its exposed metal makes ground with the door.

Hope this helps.

Juan

My 1990 PZJ77 has rear defrost and wiper. The wiring setup is just like richj11's truck. These are the only pictures I have of the rear doors handy right now but you can see the same setup.

full

full

And here are the factory dash controls for the wiper and defrost right next to the factory fog lights.

full

I love what I learn about these trucks. I honestly assumed defrost and rear wiper were standard on these things. I have no power door lock or power windows, but I have this odd ball stuff. Somebody was smoking something when they spec'd out my truck.

Last edited:
And here are the factory dash controls for the wiper and defrost right next to the factory fog lights.

full

I love what I learn about these trucks.

me too... i just learnt that your factory (?) clock looks like it might be considerably cooler than mine. I have just the knob and display... is that a stop watch and alarm on yours? is it factory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom