Bike Rack on an FJ40 soft top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
Hello, I have read through the posts and it seems most people use the Kuat bike rack or 1UpUSA. I have seen lots of pictures mostly on 100's. What about FJ40's? Are these racks also the best choice. I have an old Yakima rack that has worked fine. However I just spent a bunch on a new road bike (Specialized S-Works Tarmac) and really would like to find something better and not ruin the finish with the elastic bands.

If anyone has something to share that would be much appreciated. Pictures if you can.

Thank you! Chris.

Hey man! I work at a Trek store (at the top store in the top chain in the country) and we HIGHLY recommend Kuat and sell a ton of them. Super strong, buttery smooth to use and can take a beating.

They also have terrific customer service. A client had one on the back of his car, was hit in a parking lot, and Kuat sent him a new rack at cost. Get one and don't look back.

I use a 1Up on an FJ43. I had to get a hitch from 4Plus to get clearance for the rear door but it is a Colombian hard top with a large single back door. Hitch rack clearance will be your only issue.

Thanks for the responses! If Kuat is the overall favorite is there one place over another that is the best deal to buy one from?
Here's my truck with the 1Up on it. Works like a champ.
IMG_2130.jpg

I'm curious if any of the fabrication genius types have come up with some cool solutions for bikes on a FJ40. I've been trying to conjure something up in my head for mine. I would like to have a spare, cooler and bike rack all in one. Combining some of the concepts below. I'm thinking the cooler side may have to be plug play interchangeable with the bike rack. My cruiser has been inoperable for WAAAAY TOO LONG! Now that it's back in action I can't wait to do some SHUTTLE RUNS IN STYLE!

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 3.53.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 3.54.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 4.08.06 PM.png

The only downside of North shore racks are the only carry bikes with a suspension fork. There's one company that makes a hoop that the front tire sits in. Can't think of the name at the moment

I just installed the hitch receiver from CCOT. My thoughts are to use my Yakima Swing Daddy. I suspect the spare will get in the way but only if I were to use the inner bike holders. I think the last two or three spots will be available to use.

C6469FD4-07A8-464E-BB9B-EA7643524F74.jpeg
9996526F-637B-4438-80EE-E404CBA3F442.jpeg
A1044AAA-E3D2-4DE2-B326-EB720ED942A3.jpeg
69FE13D5-84C9-4CA3-BF17-40D9AE78395A.jpeg
Here are some pics of my Swing Daddy set up. As you can see, in the stowed position, the seat/top tube attachments on the left time bump into the tire. I somewhat negated that by sliding them out of the way of the tire but they are still in the way of the tire a bit. With a little push, I could jam the rack’s arms into the locked position. I think I can live with this set up.

Recon racks. Similar to north shore but will hold a road bike. Reconnmade in Washington state, north shore made in BC Canada.

Do you have any receiver extension on that set-up? Or is that the way it came from 1up? I have been leaning towards 1up.
There is no extension. I have the rack that can be run on a 1-1/4" or 2" hitch. This rack is ordered a la carte so you get a single tray and can add on two more. Not sure if it's a little longer than the 2" only option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom