Recognize this long range fuel tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My long range tank is leaking from the top and I can't find any info about the tank on the tank itself. Its on a 62 and I'd like to learn a little more about it. I'm not sure how old it is, but somewhere around 2000 I think it must have been installed, could be older. Anyone recognize who made it?

Below is the top part of the tank and it looks like its leaking from the fuel gauge sending unit, if that's what it is.
The fuel gauge is not working like it should, starts registering Full after a 100 miles and is on completely empty for like 200 miles.
I'd like to get all the parts I need first before tanking the tank off since its my DD.

Top of the tank from the side:
20180414_155957.jpg

From where it's leaking at the top, two wires going to it. Hard to get a good picture... Would that be the sending unit?
20180416_174154.jpg

Bottom of the tank from the side. Top of the picture you can see all the gas hoses.
20180416_173611.jpg

Front of the tank
20180416_173737.jpg

Fuel pump access in the distance on the right, thats not leaking.
20180416_173725.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Fuel system, I wouldn't risk any shortcuts. Fuel with ethanol has been the norm since after that tank was installed if it's circa 2000. Think of ethanol in fuel as a magnet for water, this is havoc on a fuel system. Things like rubber and plastic can be degraded by it, and steel will rust from the inside out. These systems were not designed with ethanol in mind. The bottom of your tank will tell you how bad it is once you get it dropped. I would check everything from the tank to the injectors and inspect for signs of corrosion. Bet on all things rubber and plastic needing to be replaced, and your tank needing to be treated and coated at a minimum. Hopefully the corrosion has not compromised the welds on the tank. Then I would look at a replacement instead of a fix.

If it's leaking from the fuel gauge sending unit that could be an easy fix if you can you still get at this part from the cargo access panel. Have you tried that?

Yeah i'm curious about what I'll find inside the tank when dropped. Last time I changed the fuel filter it looked pretty clean though.
Ethanol is terrible.. I have been trying to keep the tank full-ish to help mitigate water issues. But I know the tank is old.

I have a new fuel pump with filter sock etc. I need to replace the charcoal canister as well.

That cargo access panel only accesses the fuel pump thats on the front lower end of the tank @89GASHOG...
The area that's leaking is pretty much flush with the cargo itself, Maybe an inch space in between. So i'll definitely have to drop the tank...

Yeah, maybe an older model Man a Free @89fjlandcruiser? curious if someone else has the same one.

That cargo access panel only accesses the fuel pump thats on the front lower end of the tank @89GASHOG...
The area that's leaking is pretty much flush with the cargo itself, Maybe an inch space in between. So i'll definitely have to drop the tank....

Pretty sure the MAF extended range tank uses exiting fuel pump bracket, which means fuel pump would be in stock location and not accessed from cargo panel. Only fuel sending unit is accessed from that panel.

Your fuel pump is in front on passengers side. Behind and below your alternator.
If this is a fj60.
Those lines there is sending unit and your pick up lines.

Your fuel pump is in front on passengers side. Behind and below your alternator.
If this is a fj60.
Those lines there is sending unit and your pick up lines.

He said it's a 62, so this would have the higher pressure fuel lines for EFI and the pump inside tank. Not sure about the photo two posts above but they look more like wires than fuel lines to me because they have many kinks. That would be the general area for fuel sending unit on stock 62 tank.

He said it's a 62, so this would have the higher pressure fuel lines for EFI and the pump inside tank. Not sure about the photo two posts above but they look more like wires than fuel lines to me because they have many kinks. That would be the general area for fuel sending unit on stock 62 tank.
Yeah ok!
I agree with you if it’s a 62.

@fjsilver, any updates? Did you drop your fuel tank? Did you ever determine why your tank reads full for the 1st 100 miles and empty for the last 200 miles?

Hey Gianni,
I haven't figured out the leak thing at the top. It actually isn't doing that so much any more, but I do have some EVAP/VCV/Charcoal canister issues with pressure building up in the tank.
I'm pretty sure now its the little VCV valve not getting enough vacuum to open up.

I actually measured all the sides of the tank and had a mathematician on fiverr.com run the math for me... Turns out its a 40 Gallon tank so I at least know when to fill up... When I drop the tank I'll change the sending unit length so it reads full and empty properly.

I have a similiar, possibly the same, style tank. I had a similar issue with pressure build up and possibly due to a stuck valve. Plenty of posts here on Mud on that subject. I switched the two hoses on top of the charcoal canister and no more pressure build up. I need to buy/install an after market canister.

Look at your last photo of your original and locate the top of the sending unit. Several inches to the left of the sending unit is the upper quarter of your fuel tank located above the top of the sending unit that holds approximately 10 gallons. When you fill your tank with fuel, you need to travel 100 miles (ave 10 mpg), and consume fuel stored in the lower 3/4 of the tank before sending unit float moves downward and the gauge registers anything but full.

The sending unit rod may need to be bent/extended to reach the bottom of the tank to record the amount of fuel remaining.

With that said, as a general rule, I refuel after traveling 200 miles or sooner after buying 20 gallons of fuel.

Gotcha ok. Yeah I tried switching those lines, but it didn't help. When there is pressure in the tank and I remove the hose from the hard line that goes straight into the Charcoal Canister, it doesn't seem to off gas or release pressure... But air flows freely when I chase air down that line, starting from the tank. The BCVC also doesn't seem to create a vacuum when the engine is hot... so plenty of things to check.

You're exactly right about the sending unit rod. I fuel up after 300-350 miles, usually between 10-13mpg. Looking forward to dropping the tank though and see what's up.

I had pressure in my manafre long range tank as well.

Kinda makes sense huh, These tanks are pretty big and offgas like crazy. Especially in 100+ degree weather.

It looks like this tank was put in by TLC4x4 in the LA area, not sure who made it though...
Were you able to find ways to mitigate @workingdog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom