Really Stupid Question...4WD Low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in Wisconsin, it's April 16th, and we just got over a foot of snow. Of course, I'm putzing around with my 02' LC over the weekend blowing through snow drifts and climbing over snowbanks and I decided to let my buddy drive it b/c he wouldn't stop bugging me. So I'm riding shotgun and the LC was stopped and the tranny was in drive...dumbass tried shifting it into LOW without it being in neutral. It didn't shift into low obviously, and after throwing him out of the driver's seat and kicking him in the a$$ I worried the next two days that something bad could have happened. It drives just fine and there is nothing out of the ordinary going on...just my OCD worrying about something bad potentially happening to my new investment. Anything to worry about? Thanks guys.

Have you tried putting it in low since?

Yes - it shifted into low and I drove around the parking lot at about 2 mph for a little while. I purchased it only a month ago, so I have not really played with it while in low yet. When I caught him pulling on the shifter he wasn't necessarily wrenching on it ... maybe applying 5-10 lbs. of force and saying 'your 4WD low doensn't work dude...' I'm guessing there's a safety mechanism in place to prevent the tranny from shifting into low while it's in drive?

@JMan5000 I think this has happened to anyone who has spent time offroad..... Dont worry.

You should only be concerned if the Center diff lock was on while driving on Pavement

Thank you...my heart rate is back to normal now...Ha! The center diff was not engaged and there are no apparent issues - I just want to make sure. She is fun to drive in the snow though...the first snow bank I went over I was concerned it would have trouble...and the LC just laughed at me and crawled over it as if it wasn't there.

You should only be concerned if the Center diff lock was on while driving on Pavement[/QUOTE]

The center diff lock is automatically engaged when in low range.

Good to know - thank you. I drove it about 500 feet at crawling speeds this morning in LOW on wet/icy pavement. I would hope that wouldn't throw a wrench in the tranny doing that...

Good to know - thank you. I drove it about 500 feet at crawling speeds this morning in LOW on wet/icy pavement. I would hope that wouldn't throw a wrench in the tranny doing that...

I don't think it would ever affect the tranny...just the T-case. I have had mine in low range on dirt roads and made a few tight turns and then tried to go back into high range. The T-Case would not come out of low range, so just backed up a few yards in order to relieve the binding and it slipped back into neutral, and then high range easily. The trick is to not force it.

02 does not automatically lock the center diff in low range. 98 and 99 did that. 2000 and newer does not. Pin 7 is for 98 and 99 and can be done to the 80 series as well.

Nothing to worry about. Just forget it. I have done it many times on my runner and hear the wheels are grinding and that's when I stop and shift it to P or N.

02 does not automatically lock the center diff in low range. 98 and 99 did that. 2000 and newer does not. Pin 7 is for 98 and 99 and can be done to the 80 series as well.

:hmm: Not sure where you got your info, but my '07 LX470 Automatically locks the ctr diff when in low...

:hmm: Not sure where you got your info, but my '07 LX470 Automatically locks the ctr diff when in low...

Another one - my '03 does NOT auto lock the center diff when in low

Lol. When I first got it, I didn't know I need to put in N before shifting into 4LO. I heard grinding noise when I tried to put it in, and I quickly stopped. But the rigs still works perfectly fine. Also mine is a 2000 LC, and it does not engage center lock unless I push it

WOW! Is it a Lexus thing or what??? My 80 locks the Center Diff also when shifting into 4Lo. Did you guys do the 7-pin conversion?

I have done nothing. I can barley change a Leigh that bulb let alone do a count to 7 without losing my spot conversion. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom