Front Differential Seized (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure that is the way to put it. The good news is, in 3 years of ownership this is the first problem I've had. Admittedly, i heard a whirring sound for about a month before it happened. I was driving about 30 mph and it the front axle locked up. Like i slammed on the brakes. Couldn't move it off the road.

I'm looking to see if anyone else has experienced this. What was your course of action. Replacement? Rebuild? Used? New? I'm not in the market to upgrade. Just need to get it back on the road.

Thanks

How to Drive in 2wd when front diff breaks - Can be done indefinitly as long as CDL is on
Hub flange removal writeup when broken front Diff

Most replace with a front Locker (TJM, ARB, Harrop) because they are much stronger than the OEM design

Sounds it was run with little or no oil in the differential. I'll be interested to see the final diagnosis. And whether you want to upgrade or not, you are at least buying a new differential.

As they usually do, your Land Cruiser has been talking to you for the last month!

Any help on part number? When looking for the part is it called something else besides differential?

Front ring and pinion.

I would figure out how much stuff broke when it seized. You may half shafts and other front end components. If you pull off the driveshaft and drive plates, and lock the center differential, you can at least drive it around.

I have all the guts from an 05 front diff if you need them.

I have all the guts from an 05 front diff if you need them.

Ok, I might take you up on that. We are having a hard time finding a front Diff assembly. Ignorant question. I've now got it at a shop. With the guts, would the mechanic still need to disassemble the entire front end or would it be a different process than replacing the entire diff assembly?

For now, I think I'm going to go the route of running 2wd for a few weeks until I find the right solution.

Thanks

Just letting you know it happened to my uncle (who owned the truck before me) at around 120K miles. Front diff seized (ring and pinion). He was doing 65 mph on the freeway. 2002 TLC.

Official diagnosis from the mechanic. "The pinion bearing exploded but did not damage the housing Get me internals and we can fix this one"

F5driver, looks like I can use your parts. Thanks

@jjdynomite75 what Year is yours? The 98-02 had a 4.3 pinion and 03-07 had 4.1

Edit I turned my phone over and see you have a 05

Also, if everything is torn apart. What should I have him do. Seal Kit? Axle shaft seal? Inner and outer bearings?

If you are not doing much offroading don't need the locker. Does not sound like the stuff you are getting is new, so put in all three new seals , a crush sleeve or solid spacer and four new bearings, just get the kit from JT Diff. You will need a set of shims for pinion and carrier adjustment.

Reopening this. Got the front diff rebuild back in 2018 now seized again. Going 65 on the freeway. So, it's toast. What are my best options? Trying to get it done fairly inexpensively. Looks like used are around $1000, New $1400. Any other options?

Thanks

Reopening this. Got the front diff rebuild back in 2018 now seized again. Going 65 on the freeway. So, it's toast. What are my best options? Trying to get it done fairly inexpensively. Looks like used are around $1000, New $1400. Any other options?

Thanks
Really curious what's causing this. Did you have diff oil leaking out? Also, do you really need All-time 4wd? if not then consider using @cruiseroutfit part time kit.
All this is of course after you replace the front diff :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom