FJ60 Door Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a couple of questions and maybe someone following this thread can answer

1. when my passenger side window is down and you shout the door it clunks a few times like some assembly is loose. Does not do it on my other doors. Wondering what this could be as I want to preorder the part before I teardown.

2. I have seen replacement weatherstripping for doors...the one that is on the inside of the window I think is attached to a chrome strip. Do they sell the replacement piece that also has the chrome strip or is that two different pieces?

Chrome piece is NLA, most have been upgrading to the 70s rubber wiper as it fits just about perfectly.

As for the door clunking around, you need to pull the panel and take a look. When the window is down it is still in the window channels, or at least should be. Maybe a channel has come loose and is rattling becuase the window is down or it could be that the window is not aligned properly and thus coming out of the run.

I have a couple of questions and maybe someone following this thread can answer

2. I have seen replacement weatherstripping for doors...the one that is on the inside of the window I think is attached to a chrome strip. Do they sell the replacement piece that also has the chrome strip or is that two different pieces?

I just replaced my front outer door felt. the 4 pack I got from Racer City here: Outer Window Felt / Seal for Land Cruiser FJ60 - Set of 4 includes the clips and the rubber piece that has the felt. I pulled my old ones off knocking the white clips loose, breaking most of them and letting some of it fall down into the door. Once removed I took the new white clips off the new rubber. Then I clipped the rubber to the original chrome using the new clips. Finally I lined up the clips with the holes that receive them inside the door. I made sure the rubber was centered so I didn't have a gap at the front or rear of the window. Then tilting the piece I angled the pointed ends of the clips into the holes. Using my fist I beat the piece into place. Listen for them to "click in". This last part made the chrome flush up...esp at the front where it likes to pull away from the door. Haven't tackled the rear doors yet. I have to study how the fixed window rubber is pinned in place and how I can get the chrome out from it w/out disturbing the rubber.

I noticed the new rubber angles in much more than the worn...and is tighter against the glass. I also noticed the old worn rubber had and internal metal support that was pretty much rusted away. You can do this w/out taking the window out or the door card off. At least for the front doors.

Last edited:
DSCN0026.JPG
DSCN0025.JPG
DSCN0024.JPG
Here are the new outer felt pieces installed (front only)

I broke the old white clips loose using a flathead screwdriver. They are located just inside the door and below the felt. twist them with the flathead or push them down. Either way they will probably break. Mine were a little different than the new ones. Here are pics of the old clips and the new.

DSCN0027.JPG

DSCN0028.JPG

I installed the fuzzies in my rear side doors today. The driver's side went in very easy. I went to pop the old rubber out with a flathead and amazingly all 4 clips stayed in place. Piece of cake just pushed the new rubber down into the clips and gave them a good bump with the fist.
Went to the passengers side and didn't have as much luck 2 clips fell out. After several attempts to just put the clips on the rubber and try to snap in the door I realized I would have to do like the front doors and take the chrome out. You have to sandwich the chrome and the rubber together with the clips. Although I was able to work the chrome out of the fixed window at the back of the door, I was unable to get it back in place. So I ended up taking the door apart and removing the fixed window to set the chrome and rubber in place.

The rear doors (at least mine) have no slots for the pointy barb on the new clips that come with the felts. So the new clips don't work. No problem the back clips stayed in one piece and I had left overs from the front doors. I reused the old clips. Bumped the piece with my fist til it clicked in. And visually inspected to see that they were grabbing inside the door. Then put the door back together. If you want to take the back door apart it's not too hard but there are some diff from the front doors. The regulator comes loose with removing the 3 10mm bolts from around the crank, then it just slides (edit) the roller out the track at the bottom of the window. No unscrewing or removing the window. You can leave the window in the door. Next remove the window run. take the two 10mm screws out of the door near the back and here's the tricky part...there is a screw at the top of the door under the door weatherstrip. Once you get that you can pull the run channel out. Next slide the fixed window forward, some spray lube helps move things here. Once it's about 8 to 10 inches forward in the window sill you can tilt inward and remove. The rubber can stay attached to the window. After putting the chrome and new rubber back in the order is in reverse but the fixed window will be harder to get back in place because the chrome is there. When the fixed window is in place, put the channel run back but make sure the window is in the track as you lower into the door. The rest is pretty easy.

Last edited:
I just found out cruiserparts.net sells the escutcheons for the window cranks. YES that is a word. the clear washer looking piece that goes behind the window crank. Mine were looking pretty shot from all the taking on and off.

I just found out cruiserparts.net sells the escutcheons for the window cranks. YES that is a word. the clear washer looking piece that goes behind the window crank. Mine were looking pretty shot from all the taking on and off.

I’ve been hunting for these things lately. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom