What would you fellow cruiser heads do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
So I am in the process of rebuilding my 97 1FZ-FE - I bought it as a project. Bad HG and 300k Miles. No service history.

My engine is all freshly rebuilt. All new hoses, etc going back on. My radiator did not appear to have any issues (single core aluminum OEM.) A local shop wants $80 to hot tank it, clean it out and pressure test it.

New brass 3 core can be had for around $350 - I have already sank quite a bit on this rebuild and just want to get it on the road.

For a difference of $270 - is it really worth the 3 core brass? Truck is being built solely for adventures and overlanding treks...some occasional daily driving.

Thanks!!!!!

I thought that the OEM aluminum units in later model 80s were double core. You may not have an OEM radiator.

i went with the koyo from amazon and it has served me well

I thought that the OEM aluminum units in later model 80s were double core. You may not have an OEM radiator.

Mine is actually in storage and it was my understanding that it was a single core unit. Could be wrong of course.

I would strongly consider the aluminum Koyo or TYC from Amazon for much less $$. Your 97 originally came with aluminum.

Okay, good to know. I am just trying to keep everything OEM, but this seems to be a solid choice! Thanks!!!

This is what I would do.

Seems to be the consensus! Thanks!

Why would you want to down grade to copper?

Haha, well I was reading that the 3 core brass helped with cooling.

i went with the koyo from amazon and it has served me well

Good call! Thanks!

Get an all aluminum radiator!!!!

And the results are in!! Haha. Thank you!

Once the plastic/aluminum radiators are old enough they can fail without warning. It will probably be easier and cheaper to replace it before it fails, especially if the failure causes a blown head gasket and other issues. If you can find an ALL ALUMINUM radiator versus the plastic/alu I'm quite convinced that it would be THE way to go. Brass being least desirable, in my opinion.

Once the plastic/aluminum radiators are old enough they can fail without warning. It will probably be easier and cheaper to replace it before it fails, especially if the failure causes a blown head gasket and other issues. If you can find an ALL ALUMINUM radiator versus the plastic/alu I'm quite convinced that it would be THE way to go. Brass being least desirable, in my opinion.

Got it. That makes sense. So I guess to be proactive replacing the radiator would be a good move. Especially after the investment of a freshly rebuilt motor. Thanks!

I chose to go OEM for my 96 because it lasted 20 years and it was designed for it. It was about $345 4 years ago.

Well one thing is for sure...the brass/copper is a downgrade and should not be considered!

Buy four new nuts for the fan clutch, those things like to round off and now would also be a good time to change the fluid in the clutch.

You can get carried away with things while you are in there. Are your upper and lower hoses in good shape? Get a new radiator cap as they don't come with one.

Buy four new nuts for the fan clutch, those things like to round off and now would also be a good time to change the fluid in the clutch.

You can get carried away with things while you are in there. Are your upper and lower hoses in good shape? Get a new radiator cap as they don't come with one.

I am buying all new hoses...upper and lower. New T-Stat. I'll change the clutch fluid! Good point! And be buying a new radiator cap.

I have certainly gotten carried away already. I do not plan to sell this truck any time soon, so it's all good.

Thanks for the input!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom