Real time rear heater bypass question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
I had coolant leaking from the rear heater coolant lines behind the heat shield. I decided to bypass the rear heater for now. The picture below is what I currently have. (I know, I need Gates Green Stripe but this is the only heater hose the parts store had.)

It's been 5 days and I still have coolants leaking from the shield area and the reservoir (new) level continues to drop. Question... Did I miss something when bypassing the rear heater?

Also, two weeks ago I replaced all coolant components and cannot find a leak anywhere. I'm taking the 80 on a long trip in the morning and need to fix this today.

Any help/advice is much appreciated! Thanks!!

20180416_115312.jpg

The only other possibilities are the other hoses, the main heater core, or the head gasket.

Check your PHH. It may be dripping someplace that it's blowing off before it hits the floor.

Pressure test your cooling system with a pressure setup from a FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store). If that has no results, then get the exhaust gases test kit and check your radiator for exhaust gases.

The coolant underneath could be what was left in the lines after you bypassed the rear heater.

It's been 5 days and I still have coolants leaking from the shield area and the reservoir (new) level continues to drop. Question... Did I miss something when bypassing the rear heater?

probably not, if you looped out both sides than your good to go.

you would be surprised how long those lines can leak, after I looped mine out it leaked for another day or so. threes a lot more coolant than you would expect in the rear heater core. also you may get a leak father down the road from where the line will inevitably rust out again, that happen to me about 8 months after I looped out the rear heat

That heater hose u have is incredibly hard to use cause that hard red shell makes the rubber hard to fit over and seal the fittings.

Get some softer green stripe rubber heater hose and use that. Do you still have the factory 5/8 spring clamps left over from the bypass?? If you do, use those clamps over the screw type.

Also there is still alot of coolant left in the rear heater core after the bypass. It won't drain out as the lines sit above the rear heater core. Are you planning on keeping the rear heater? If not just snip the lines from the bottom or rip the core out from under the passenger seat.

Thanks guys! I think the other part of the problem is my ignorance. I did not know how much the coolant reservoir fluctuates! Depending on when I check the capacity... it can vary 1/2"-3/4" from the fill mark. I still don't understand this. :hmm:

The leak has finally reduced to a few drops.

Thanks again!!

Anvil, when you replaced your PHH hose did you happen to check out the condition of the throttle body water bypass coolant hose number 1, and number 2? Bypass hose number 1 is not alot of fun to replace, but both can be a source of leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom