HDJ81 Injection Pump to Fuel Filter Hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably applies to the HDJ80, as well? (Mine is a 1994 JDM HDJ81V.)

The hose from the injection pump to the fuel filter is getting brittle, and the clamp is not exerting sufficient force for it not to move. That part is discontinued:

23271-17080
HOSE OR PIPE, FUEL(FOR INJECTION PUMP TO FUEL FILTER)

My choices are to either get a length of matching hose or just put host clamps on it. Thoughts on either approach? (Future reliability is everything to me.)

What type of clamp is "best"?

Anyone know the ID of this hose?

The hose will be metric sized, and difficult to find even in Canada. I want to say it's 10mm ID, but you'll need to verify elsewhere.

3/8 fit ok on mine. I used fuel injection style hose clamps.
Is this what you mean?

image.jpg

Are imported Japanese trucks metric? I'm sure most of them in the 4-5litre class would have the same size fuel lines.
Otherwise ebay has it by the klm.
You know it fits when its fits firmly over the barb.
On the earlier 1HZ it was 8mm and this will probably be for the 1PZ also. Some time later everything went to 10mm, probably after 99.
What size do FZJ80/100 or 4Rnners use? There is no diesel or petrol hose, its all fuel hose.
Ive been using normal style hose clamps with no problems for years. Its not under pressure like a radiator hose, there is only 2-3 psi in a fuel line.

1HD-T used 12mm hard fuel lines. I found 3/8 tight and used 7/16.
If hose size is correct, you don't need a huge amount of clamping force from hose clamps

I've read on here that early 1HD-T used 10mm, later trucks used 12mm now that you mention that. Definitely measure yours to confirm what you should be replacing with I guess.

I thought they went to 12mm with the 1HD FTE but I could be wrong. The 12HT used 10mm and the 3F was 6mm, which is odd because the 3F could use easily use 25 litres/100klm.
When I put the 1HZ into my FJ73 , I left the 6mm fuel lines in there on the advice of a diesel mechanic and it was quite adequate.

I've read on here that early 1HD-T used 10mm, later trucks used 12mm now that you mention that. Definitely measure yours to confirm what you should be replacing with I guess.

Yes, you are partly correct.
There was a factory recall/warranty program replacing fuel injector lines on early HDJ80s to try and overcome a midrange fuel surge issue.
My May '90 HDJ81 had 12 mm hard lines, so I would guess all HDJ80,81 had 12mm lines, but assumption is the mother of all f ck ups

My 1996 HDJ80 with 1HDFT is 12mm from the tanks to the filter head, then 10mm from filter head to the injection pump. Inlet to the injection pump is 10mm, so its not an incorrect filter head.

My 1996 HDJ80 with 1HDFT is 12mm from the tanks to the filter head, then 10mm from filter head to the injection pump. Inlet to the injection pump is 10mm, so its not an incorrect filter head.

is it a different part number than for my 1994?

Go to your nearest hardware store and purchase clear hose. If it 's a tight fit warm the hose up!
Beauty of clear hose is to check for air being sucked into your system.
Yes you can carry spare regular hose.

Looking for clear hose for my '95 HDJ81 with 1HDFT. Harder than I thought it was going to be in Canada. Would anyone have some recommendations as to where and what type to find. Looking to have clear hose from fuel filter to injection pump. Tried heavy equipment stores, NAPA, Diesel shops in my area, no luck.

Reading this thread am I correct to say I need 10mm ID. Am I looking for something that resists diesel as a requirement and do I need a hose that is pressure rated?

Am I looking for something that resists diesel as a requirement and do I need a hose that is pressure rated?

No, all hose is fuel hose. Its not fuel specific and for the last 20 years or so it has all been made from Viton( makes it suitable for low sulpher diesel) . There is no pressure rating and the hose is under a slight vacuum.
Clear hose that is suitable (and legal) for fuel is not easy to find, even in Australia.

Edit, ebay makes me a liar. This seller sells it for $8.45AUD a metre for 10mm
1604613578503.png

Last edited:
this is the best i can find USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom