Opinions on most reliable LC Diesel engines. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, this is my first post on here and I know this has been covered a few times already, but I wanted to get updated opinions on it since most of the threads seem to be quite old. I’m heavily considering importing or buying an imported 70 or 80 series. I would like to get some opinions on the best engines that were available in these cruisers. My main focus is reliability. This will be a truck that I will drive quite a bit to different places around the country and I would rather not have to worry about repeatedly repairing a foreign engine that I know nothing about. I don’t mind working on my trucks, I just don’t want it to be a regular thing. Also, what are the weak points of the engines. My next concern is fuel economy. What motors get the best? Last thing is power. My least big concern as I will not be pulling anything ever, but still a point on interest. Again, reliability is my first focus. Would love to get some opinions on this. Thank you!

You are either going to get a 1HZ or a 1HD Turbo. Basically the same engine block differing in the cyl heads and the turbo.
Both are reliable as long as they are maintained and not abused or modified by those who don't know what they are doing.
There is not much to update because the engines didn't change.
They both get about 12-14litres per 100klms.Im a bit sceptical of figures that are better than this.
The 1HZ doesn't really have a weak point if driven with common sense
The 1HD T has had problems with big end bearings and ACSD , search for it, there are dozens of posts. But they can also achieve very high klms with good owners.
The rotary pumps on these don't last as long as rotary pumps on other engines but its not something that would deter me.
If you want to drive at 80mph all day, look else where, they are not racing engines.

You are either going to get a 1HZ or a 1HD Turbo. Basically the same engine block differing in the cyl heads and the turbo.
Both are reliable as long as they are maintained and not abused or modified by those who don't know what they are doing.
There is not much to update because the engines didn't change.
They both get about 12-14litres per 100klms.Im a bit sceptical of figures that are better than this.
The 1HZ doesn't really have a weak point if driven with common sense
The 1HD T has had problems with big end bearings and ACSD , search for it, there are dozens of posts. But they can also achieve very high klms with good owners.
The rotary pumps on these don't last as long as rotary pumps on other engines but its not something that would deter me.
If you want to drive at 80mph all day, look else where, they are not racing engines.

Great info! Thank you. What about the 3b and 13bt? I’m seeing a lot for sale with those engines.

There's little doubt in my mind that the 3B and 2H engines were the most reliable diesels Toyota ever made.. specifically because of the Inline Injection Pump and 100% gear driven timing. When they're not exposed to a turbo, driven with care, are regularly serviced, and lovingly cared for they will nearly never let you down.

They're slugs though, you get lots of time to enjoy the view when climbing hills with them.

@roscoFJ73 .... "But they can also achieve very high klms with good owners."
"If you want to drive at 80mph all day, look else where, they are not racing engines."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosco pointed out the important stuff.

Great info! Thank you. What about the 3b and 13bt? I’m seeing a lot for sale with those engines.

Both good engines, but the 13BT has parts which are getting harder to get. The 3B is a bit slow pulling a full size landcruiser.
Its hard to go past the 1HZ or the 1HD T for reliability, power and parts availability. The 1HZ is still in production AFAIK, that's 28 years with almost no changes at all. That must be a record for a road going diesel engine.

100% agreed with Rosco.

If your looking at an 80, or 70 series troop carrier, you're limited to 1HZ in both, or 1HD-T in the 80s

1HD-T is capable of slightly better fuel economy, depending on how you drive them.

1HZ is known as 1HZzzzzzzzz. They are strong, and bullet proof, just don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry, particularly if hilly. My HZJ105 averages 14.5L/100km for normal use, offroad, I've seen that double in hilly low range territory.

If your looking at an 80, or 70 series troop carrier, you're limited to 1HZ in both, or 1HD-T in the 80s

Well.. they'd be getting on a bit now, but there were 70 series shipped with the 2H :)

Well.. they'd be getting on a bit now, but there were 70 series shipped with the 2H :)
I enquired about one 10pm Friday night when it appeared in a local classifieds. It was a fairly decent HJ75 troopy with factory forward facing rear cloth seat with the built in seat belts and 260000klms with minimal rust.
Someone bought it at 5am sat morning. I was after the seats and was going to re sell it after I had swapped them into my troopy

If you want to own one of these diesels in the US , you need to stock pile a few spares and build up a knowledge base of who can help you if its beyond your skill level.
But there is 2 things that happen in my driveway each morning, the sun comes up over the fence and the 1HZ starts first time:cool:

Would you guys say that the 1HD-T is more reliable than the 1FZ-FE? Which is the better motor all around in your opinion.

Would you guys say that the 1HD-T is more reliable than the 1FZ-FE?

Oranges and apples. Not comparable and generally, on a world average, the diesels probably lead tougher lives. No one who lives in isolated areas with hundreds of klms from parts and fuel takes a 1FZ FE.
You can drown a diesel ,completely cover it in water and it will keep running as long as its air supply is above the water line.
My favourite example was a doco called 10 Greatest Inventions. One of them was about diesels. It showed an ancient Gardner diesel in a remote African village that had been running non stop for over 20 years ,except for the occasional oil and filter change . But nothing else
There will never be a doco about the 1FZ that ran for 20 years in an African village pumping water with no maintenance.
1FZ are still a good engine, ask a soccer mom.

Oranges and apples. Not comparable and generally, on a world average, the diesels probably lead tougher lives. No one who lives in isolated areas with hundreds of klms from parts and fuel takes a 1FZ FE.
You can drown a diesel ,completely cover it in water and it will keep running as long as its air supply is above the water line.
My favourite example was a doco called 10 Greatest Inventions. One of them was about diesels. It showed an ancient Gardner diesel in a remote African village that had been running non stop for over 20 years ,except for the occasional oil and filter change . But nothing else
There will never be a doco about the 1FZ that ran for 20 years in an African village pumping water with no maintenance.
1FZ are still a good engine, ask a soccer mom.
So an 80 Series with a 1HZ would be the best bet? If I can find one.

I cant guess what's best for you, but I think most people would prefer a 1HD T powered vehicle. The 1HZ was popular in central Australia where the roads are often dirt and the speed limit is governed by washed out roads and animals wandering across them in large numbers. The 1HZ powered 80 series sold here was far cheaper than the turbo models and this was also true with the 105 series being a lot cheaper than a HDJ100. Last time I drove through central Australia I didn't get much over 80kph for 1500klms, but your needs maybe different.
With the price of fuel in the US and the high speed limit ,you are probably better off with a north American FZJ80 all things considered.

I cant guess what's best for you, but I think most people would prefer a 1HD T powered vehicle. The 1HZ was popular in central Australia where the roads are often dirt and the speed limit is governed by washed out roads and animals wandering across them in large numbers. The 1HZ powered 80 series sold here was far cheaper than the turbo models and this was also true with the 105 series being a lot cheaper than a HDJ100. Last time I drove through central Australia I didn't get much over 80kph for 1500klms, but your needs maybe different.
With the price of fuel in the US and the high speed limit ,you are probably better off with a north American FZJ80 all things considered.

I would have no problem getting a FZJ80 . That’s actually the one I wanted in the first place due to parts availability and not having to deal with importing one. The reason I started looking at the ones from across the pond is because of how difficult it is to find a low mileage, rust free, well taken care of FZJ80 here in the states for a decent price. All the ones for sale in my area have upwards of 270,000 miles on them and are all being eaten away by rust. All the imported ones I’ve seen have 50,000-150,000 miles on them and are rust free and usually are cheaper than the FZJ80s.

All the imported ones I’ve seen have 50,000-150,000 miles on them and are rust free and usually are cheaper than the FZJ80s.

Imported from where?
The newest 80 is now 20yrs old. Is 50k miles over 20years legit?
An 80 in Aus is likely to have 200k km plus. A diesel 80 with less mileage than that will far exceed an fzj80 in price.
If you found a HDJ80 in Aus with less than 200k km in good condition, it's price tag could be AUD$25-30K

Last edited:
I was looking for a HZJ80 , I coudnt find anything decent with low klms. Most of the low spec models here started life as govt or mine vehicles and then sold off cheap at auctions where they become weekend dune bashers.
Luckily rust is not a big factor here unless they were used extensively on the beach.

All the imported ones I’ve seen have 50,000-150,000 miles on them

Is this from Japan? Unfortunately they have a bad record for odometer tampering.

All the imported ones I’ve seen have 50,000-150,000 miles on them and are rust free and usually are cheaper than the FZJ80s.

Be very careful, odometer rollbacks, hidden damage history and hidden rust are problems to watch out for.

Imported from where?
The newest 80 is now 20yrs old. Is 50k miles over 20years legit?
An 80 in Aus is likely to have 200k km plus. A diesel 80 with less mileage than that will far exceed an fzj80 in price.
If you found a HDJ80 in Aus with less than 200k km in good condition, it's price tag could be AUD$25-30K

I was looking for a HZJ80 , I coudnt find anything decent with low klms. Most of the low spec models here started life as govt or mine vehicles and then sold off cheap at auctions where they become weekend dune bashers.
Luckily rust is not a big factor here unless they were used extensively on the beach.

Is this from Japan? Unfortunately they have a bad record for odometer tampering.
The best ones I’ve found are on Landcruiserdirect. Look there you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Be very careful, odometer rollbacks, hidden damage history and hidden rust are problems to watch out for.

Please excuse/correct me if I’m wrong, but you are the owner of Landcruisersdirect? That’s where I am seeing all these low mileage rigs I’m talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom