What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^nice, looks like a fun day. I like your awning, and your snorkel, and your hood (I guess I like your whole rig)

Did some more tinkering today: bought a Metal Tech standard hitch receiver to swap out with my stock big ol' towing hitch. We have a standard clearance solo hitchgate (thanks indycole) and the stock receiver hung down 2" from the frame so it was lower than I'd like. The Metal Tech receiver sits flush up under the frame so we gained 2" in clearance (not much, but not nothing).

^nice, looks like a fun day. I like your awning, and your snorkel, and your hood (I guess I like your whole rig)

Did some more tinkering today: bought a Metal Tech standard hitch receiver to swap out with my stock big ol' towing hitch. We have a standard clearance solo hitchgate (thanks indycole) and the stock receiver hung down 2" from the frame so it was lower than I'd like. The Metal Tech receiver sits flush up under the frame so we gained 2" in clearance (not much, but not nothing).

Just trying to help......I emailed MT to confirm what I thought I remembered about this hitch receiver, FYI in the event you were planning on using it for towing:

Hi!

The Metal Tech Standard Rear Receiver is designed for use "only" with Metal-tech 4x4 rear bumpers. This won't fit stock bumpers.

Hope this helps.

Thank you​

-Raymond​

Again, just trying to help in the event towing was planned beyond just supporting the hitchgate you mentioned. Take care!

--t

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm holding on to the stock hitch in case we ever decide to tow something, and until we can afford an aftermarket bumper it will just be used to hold up the spare and a gas tank. I was unsure about the fit when I bought it, but everything lined up well enough!

@tlin & @James C I’m curious as to why their website says differently.

From their description:

“Receiver bolts to the bumper frame as a stock receiver would Receiver bolts to the bumper frame as a stock receiver would using 4 rear mounting holes and 2 under the rear frame crossmember. Recommended use for normal towing using the full rated vehicle towing capacity. The receiver sits about 3" below the rear bumper shell allowing longer stingers to be used.”

Just wondering because I wanted to use this as an option for towing a teardrop trailer. Was actually just getting ready to order one as I’ve seen others use it on a few other threads.

Thanks for any input.

51909-35011 is OEM hitch that fit 03-18 120-150 platform. You might need to buy different bumper hitch cover that have opening since it sits a bit higher

Removed running boards and trimmed the plastic with them attached and cut on the truck. This method is great. No need to mess with clips.

20180412_215650.jpg

Removed running boards and trimmed the plastic with them attached and cut on the truck. This method is great. No need to mess with clips.

Wish I read this a couple of days ago, sometimes I overlook the obvious trying to get something done.. :doh:
Mine are off but still need to trim

@tlin & @James C I’m curious as to why their website says differently.

From their description:

“Receiver bolts to the bumper frame as a stock receiver would Receiver bolts to the bumper frame as a stock receiver would using 4 rear mounting holes and 2 under the rear frame crossmember. Recommended use for normal towing using the full rated vehicle towing capacity. The receiver sits about 3" below the rear bumper shell allowing longer stingers to be used.”

Just wondering because I wanted to use this as an option for towing a teardrop trailer. Was actually just getting ready to order one as I’ve seen others use it on a few other threads.

Thanks for any input.

Honestly, no clue - that does seem to contradict what I was sent via email. I also almost picked one of these up ~1 year ago but didn't once I thought I understood that it wouldn't be able to be used for towing. If I'm wrong about this, my apologies, but that's a direct copy/paste I got back from MT via email a few days ago.

Honestly, no clue - that does seem to contradict what I was sent via email. I also almost picked one of these up ~1 year ago but didn't once I thought I understood that it wouldn't be able to be used for towing. If I'm wrong about this, my apologies, but that's a direct copy/paste I got back from MT via email a few days ago.

I’m in the same boat. I know a few others have used them. Waiting and hopefully some with firsthand experience will chime in.

If you buffed, please share the details. Mine need a really good buffing and clear coat.

@JLee Awesome. I just ordered the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit. I had previously read that this is the best kit available because their clear coat lasts longer. Your writeup just gave me the push to order and get it done.

And that's a nice web site you linked...

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom