Builds Shipwreck (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IIRC you were very apprehensive to swap in an LS motor initially, what changed?
it's the easiest solution to my problem... when I started this I was going to as cheap as possible. I had tons of 350 parts, so I built what I had. That could be part of the issue since the cam isn't a great fit (it's not terrible, just not great) for TBI (I was going carb before). Now I have a denali I'm blowing apart that has the right motor in it to do this... truth be told, though, I'd love to put a diesel something in it.... we will see.

what I really need to do is go put 100 miles on it then do some testing... maybe that will happen tomorrow.

the issue is probably that I'm working on this
YQ8eYbA.jpg

and I don't want to stop working on it so that I can drive it this summer. Somewhere, also, I have to transfer parts to my new Suburban, SARize my Colorado (getting there)
ovjX0wM.jpg

and a billion other things (like finish the deck).... having to round back to the '40 wasn't in the plans. Of course, I'm sure the trolls are celebrating, but nevermind, it's part of the process and it just roundly sucks.

it could be worse, I could have a forest service green vehicle on leaf springs.

the tl;dr is this - I may be able to fix it well enough so that I can do what I kind of wanted to do at the start... diesel. Now that I'm more acquainted with the Isuzu (Duramax) diesel, that is a distinct possibility.... but just not right now.

Last edited:
There are lots of great reasons to join the LS swap club which I’m sure you already know. It would be super easy from the point you are at.

You mused about an auto swap, wouldn’t that make your driveline to long for your wheel base and create a bunch of work ? Given how well the suspension works would that be worth it? Just wondering your thoughts.

There are lots of great reasons to join the LS swap club which I’m sure you already know. It would be super easy from the point you are at.

You mused about an auto swap, wouldn’t that make your driveline to long for your wheel base and create a bunch of work ? Given how well the suspension works would that be worth it? Just wondering your thoughts.

when I built it, I went through the decision process of 4L60e v. the 5 speed. So when I built my own adapter, I kept in mind that either the 5 speed wouldn't work or I'd hate it.... so I built it so it's a straight swap. It's also why I used this transmission - it's the same output shaft as a 4L60e....

(tl;dr, it's the same length).

I may, however, live dangerously and leave the 5 speed in it.....

I think I'm going to relocate the MAP sensor pickup from the throttle body to the manifold. The issue is vacuum - it's expecting a specific signal, and it's clearly not getting enough - perhaps by moving it to where the brake booster is, I can fool it into a higher reading.... otherwise megasquirt or another EFI is the solution (one that I can program its inputs)

as for running, it does run but it burns 3 dinosaurs per mile and those things are already going extinct (along with the green pieces of paper in my wallet....)

I think I'm going to relocate the MAP sensor pickup from the throttle body to the manifold. The issue is vacuum - it's expecting a specific signal, and it's clearly not getting enough - perhaps by moving it to where the brake booster is, I can fool it into a higher reading.... otherwise megasquirt or another EFI is the solution (one that I can program its inputs)

as for running, it does run but it burns 3 dinosaurs per mile and those things are already going extinct (along with the green pieces of paper in my wallet....)

There are several ports on the stock TBIs and they aren't all the same in their reading might want to try other ports and/or throw a vacuum gauge on them.

Another idea would be to run a vacuum canister to reduce pulses, if applicable. I even ran a small engine fuel filter on a 4cyl with ITBs to smooth the vacuum signal usable for a map sensor and it worked well.

Both of my TBI's had a port on them specifically for the MAP, but I doubt it would hurt to go directly from the manifold. Getting a clear and accurate signal is important for sure.

How many hours have you spent fighting that EFI system? Is it worth your time and effort?

Both of my TBI's had a port on them specifically for the MAP, but I doubt it would hurt to go directly from the manifold.

This actually reminded me of an episode (youtube/online) of Engine Masters - Carburetor vs EFI Shootout!.

In the episode they were having big issues getting the EFI to run right - it had a dual plane manifold with an adapter. Same engine, same EFI/TBI setup, new manifold (single plane) - no problems.

If you find the episode, the "issue" starts to show up just after 7 minutes, then they realize/fix it by the 8 minute mark. They then talk about it again at about the 9:30 mark. There's a bit of silly banter in their videos, but there's quite a bit of tech along with proven dyno results.

Both of my TBI's had a port on them specifically for the MAP, but I doubt it would hurt to go directly from the manifold. Getting a clear and accurate signal is important for sure.

How many hours have you spent fighting that EFI system? Is it worth your time and effort?

I drove it today, after it warmed up it ran fine - though I still think it's running rich.

you keep forgetting something. I do this for fun, learning and beating this mechanical beast makes me happy. I may throw another type of EFI on it, but at this point I'm leaning towards an issue with an improper e-prom. Once I fix it, I get knowledge. Knowledge makes trolls unhappy because it exposes their idiocy at the roots. So it's double happiness, sure, I'd love the world to be all puppy dogs and no Jeeps but it isn't so I'll make it my bitch. Then replace it with a 6.0 LS motor because the TBI will be boring. Now if only I knew a computer guy who could burn a chip.... wonder where you'd find one of those dinosaurs? any ideas :D

Or you could just put a Qjet :hillbilly: in it. Just saying. No, I did not forget that you do it for love of puppies and hate for Jeeps. Even though your wife has one :eek:. Just gotta yank your chain every now and then...

As for data logging and chips. Hmmm. Depends on the ECU and chip. Good timing as I was about to put all my chip logging/burning gear on eBay. The laptop I was using I had to wipe. I could reinstall the software if your ECU is compatible.

Still planning to wheel Sunday. Either a minimalist trip to Evans Creek (most trails not accessible yet) or fun at Walker.

Want to discuss your sheet metal bender too. I'll show you my new project next time out.

you keep forgetting something. I do this for fun, learning and beating this mechanical beast makes me happy. I may throw another type of EFI on it, but at this point I'm leaning towards an issue with an improper e-prom. Once I fix it, I get knowledge. Knowledge makes trolls unhappy because it exposes their idiocy at the roots. So it's double happiness, sure, I'd love the world to be all puppy dogs and no Jeeps but it isn't so I'll make it my bitch. Then replace it with a 6.0 LS motor because the TBI will be boring. Now if only I knew a computer guy who could burn a chip.... wonder where you'd find one of those dinosaurs? any ideas :D

Or you could just put a Qjet :hillbilly: in it. Just saying. No, I did not forget that you do it for love of puppies and hate for Jeeps. Even though your wife has one :eek:. Just gotta yank your chain every now and then...

As for data logging and chips. Hmmm. Depends on the ECU and chip. Good timing as I was about to put all my chip logging/burning gear on eBay. The laptop I was using I had to wipe. I could reinstall the software if your ECU is compatible.

Still planning to wheel Sunday. Either a minimalist trip to Evans Creek (most trails not accessible yet) or fun at Walker.

Want to discuss your sheet metal bender too. I'll show you my new project next time out.

The hardest part about burning is figuring out the tune... I'm still not sure I can find a 'stock' file... did you ever look at what came with your motor?

I know I'm booked for Sunday but at the moment I can't remember what it is - probably has something to do with the Jeep and my brain is blocking it to protect me.

which sheet metal bender? lol I have more then 2.

I'm pretty lazy about shipping stuff out, I'm probably too far north.... but I do have a stock Camaro 305 TBI ECU... I'm not an eprom guy, so don't know if you can read them or only write. Pretty sure I also have a s***ty 2.8 ECU as well....

Free for the taking...

My ECU had the correct cop car chip in it. I did have to do some slight tuning, though. In order to do that I had to remove the factory prom, solder in a chip header then add an easily burnable chip. I started by changing the stoich value to reflect our 10% ehtenol. I picked a value halfway between that and pure gasoline. Data logging is easy on the factory ECU's if you swap the chip. It was data logging that showed my fuel was OK, a bit rich at lower RPM which is right where I wanted it. I did have knocks at low RPM, high demand. I adjusted the spark table to remove 2 degrees in the RPM/MAP range that was causing issues. I also added RPM for AC on so I could fill the compressor faster. In all it was two to four burns and I called it good. The cop chip even had highway lean cruise enabled, no VATS, and no speed limit in it. However, if you want to start over it's better to use a base bin for a stock 350. Depending on your injectors...

The hardest part about burning is figuring out the tune... I'm still not sure I can find a 'stock' file... did you ever look at what came with your motor?

I know I'm booked for Sunday but at the moment I can't remember what it is - probably has something to do with the Jeep and my brain is blocking it to protect me.

which sheet metal bender? lol I have more then 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom