MID ATLANTIC BDR (BACKCOUNTRY DISCOVERY ROUTE) COMING MAR 9 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Butler Maps publishes well researched maps for dual sport motorcyclists that show the best routes for exploring off road routes in many states.

The newest, coming Feb 1, will be a Mid Atlantic route that should be equally "doable" for a moderately well set up 4 wheel drive vehicle. I rode the Trans America Trail (TAT) with some friends on BMW R80G/Ss and noted that 4 wheel driving it was also "doable" so with my wife I then drove it in my FJ60, and we had a ball. So I feel certain the forthcoming Mid Atlantic BDR will also be 4 wheel drivable.

This is an exciting dual sport scenic 1080 mile long ride ride that starts in VA and goes through PA to the NY border, on dirt, gravel and paved roads. Ride it all at once or in smaller bites.

Herm Baver at Hermy's BMW in Port Clinton, PA has arranged for a movie showing on Mar 9 @ 6 PM. Hermy's BMW is just north of Cabella's in Hamburg, on Rte 61.

RSVP **required** to:
suzy@hermys.com

More here, see,
Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route (MABDR)

This would be awesome if a full size 4wd could do it.

Did you do the full TAT in your 60? There was some debate in out sub if it was possible or not.

Yes iptman the TAT is doable in a moderately well equipped 4 wheel drive vehicle. In fact from TN to CO it is far easier than with a motorcycle. Once you hit CO the TAT is far more of a challenge, but doable yes.
So think Rubicon type of equipped vehicle.
BUT if it RAINS, that is a BIG game changer.

Yes iptman the TAT is doable in a moderately well equipped 4 wheel drive vehicle. In fact from TN to CO it is far easier than with a motorcycle. Once you hit CO the TAT is far more of a challenge, but doable yes.
So think Rubicon type of equipped vehicle.
BUT if it RAINS, that is a BIG game changer.
Sounds like my 40 would be perfect!

Bumping this. Anyone have an opportunity to run any of the route. I noticed a decent portion runs through Penn Roosevelt and Bald Eagle. I’ve been through 90 percent of that area. I’d be interested in checking out some of the other sections.

I’d be up for a trip in the coming months... but I’m gonna be on 2 wheels though, not four! Let me know if you have a time frame in mind...

Bumping this. Anyone have an opportunity to run any of the route. I noticed a decent portion runs through Penn Roosevelt and Bald Eagle. I’ve been through 90 percent of that area. I’d be interested in checking out some of the other sections.

I’d be up for a trip in the coming months... but I’m gonna be on 2 wheels though, not four! Let me know if you have a time frame in mind...

I’ll look at our schedule but I’m guessing there should be a few weekends open the latter part of June. If I’m lucky, maybe a weekend in May. Don’t have 2 wheels anymore so I can tote the extra gear! Ha!

Are you up for an overnighter?

Sounds great... June would be good for me too. I’m set up to camp off my bike so I’d be up for one (or more).

I’ll look at our schedule but I’m guessing there should be a few weekends open the latter part of June. If I’m lucky, maybe a weekend in May. Don’t have 2 wheels anymore so I can tote the extra gear! Ha!

Are you up for an overnighter?

Let’s kick some dates out for a long weekend for this trip...

Day 1 teaser

F738C33C-2F3F-450F-A33D-81FEA917B040.jpeg

97DA38BA-5CBB-4DEF-9946-A18E4D18E247.jpeg

Nice! I’ll kick it around with the boss tomorrow and see what weekends are free. June is still looking like the best time for me. As of now have a few weekends open.

Could head out on a Friday early afternoon and head south. Camp the first night and work out way back into PA. Wherever we’d end up from there wouldn’t matter so much...

@BROKEROB1 and @joabmc whatever weekend we can make this happen in June, I'm free as of now.

You guys make the plans and I'd be happy to come along for the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom