Builds 1980 Toyota Crawler Build/Rescue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the advice @KLF & @pappy !

Have either of you ever used those tranny jack adapters for floor jacks? If so are they any good?

I have, because I made my own. Used it many times, but it's been several years since I've used it. I hope I'll never use it again, honestly. Maybe I should send it to you. It requires drilling and tapping 4 holes in your floor jack.

I have, because I made my own. Used it many times, but it's been several years since I've used it. I hope I'll never use it again, honestly. Maybe I should send it to you. It requires drilling and tapping 4 holes in your floor jack.

That probably wouldn't be an issue! I'd be interested in grabbing it off of you! I'm sure it's made better than the one I was looking at.

I have one of these: 450 lb. Low Lift Transmission Jack
Typical Harbor Freight. Kind of clunky to use. But gets the job done. I've actually used it a lot, and it's gets loaned out to club members to use.

That's good to know! I'll have to check it out if I don't take KLF up on his offer.

I know you weren't asking me, but I haven't had luck with them. Just because my jack doesn't go high enough.

Hey but thanks for letting me know! I'm not too sure if mine will go high enough either..I'll have to do some measuring!

So I took the old Yota on it's first camping trip this weekend! Was a little nervous since this was the first time I'd taken it out camping. The hill to get on top of the mountain is pretty steep and I was a little scared it couldn't make it up it....but it did! The truck absolutely killed it. The ride was bumpy and slow but the ol' Yota made it with no problems - other than me topping off the oil since it's all leaking out the rear main.

Here she is all packed up ready for her first journey..

ODn0nJ.jpg

evWgHw.jpg

It was a pretty quick trip, we got up there kinda late on Friday night and left Saturday around noon so I didn't get a chance to do any real crawling but I did manage to find a couple rocks to play on...

V81M4I.jpg

O1d819.jpg

MujmvV.jpg

Really impressed with how the truck is running and even more surprised that there wasn't a single hiccup on it's way there. I'm starting to think my hard work may be paying off...

X3 on the long extensions for the top bell housing bolts. It also helps to make one or two guide bolts to thread into the lower bolt holes on the block. Just cut the top couple inches off some 22r head bolts if you have some, they fit. This helps you align things, then when you get another bolt in you just thread them out.

I put a W56 in my '80 this weekend using the "3 guys swearing" method. This involves rolling around in the mud under the truck while onw guy bench presses the bell housing, another guy sits in back and lifts and shoves while the third guy kind of eyeballs the angle of the trans and block and shoves on the front of the trans. About 10 minutes of misery and the trans goes right on.

That probably wouldn't be an issue! I'd be interested in grabbing it off of you! I'm sure it's made better than the one I was looking at.

Here it is, the bottom plate part is held to the floor jack with 4 screws, and the wooden platform part is adjustable in front-to-back angle. It works extremely well, you get the most amount of room if you drive the front of the truck up on ramps first. The chain wraps around the tranny, tightens down with that long eye bolt. Very secure.

P1010055.JPG

P1010051.JPG

Here it is, the bottom plate part is held to the floor jack with 4 screws, and the wooden platform part is adjustable in front-to-back angle. It works extremely well, you get the most amount of room if you drive the front of the truck up on ramps first. The chain wraps around the tranny, tightens down with that long eye bolt. Very secure.

View attachment 1678850

View attachment 1678852

I think that'd be perfect! I don't have any ramps to drive my truck on and would just be doing it stationary, but I think it would be high enough to get to the tranny, and it's tried and tested! What would you want for it?

I've done the clutch, twice, in my old '84 w/o ramps etc. OME lift springs and 33's was all the working space needed.

Alright guys - unfortunately this is the last chapter in my Toyota Rescue build.

For a couple months I've been trying to sell it..and I did have quite some interest in the truck. Most of the people messaging me about the truck just wanted to part it out or weren't serious. I really wanted another Mud member to get this truck so I held out and finally found the perfect buyer.

His name was Sam, and he drove quite some time to get it. He has fantastic plans for the truck and will also be posting on this forum so that we can all follow this build!

I am very sad to see it go, but very happy that it has gone to someone who will treat it with love, and do what I did not finish. This truck was originally destined for the junkyard, now it is going across the country and making home in someone else's driveway.

I guess in a way I can say that my job is done because I brought this truck back from the dead, and it will always have a special place in my heart. I'll get back in a Toyota someday soon, and will be back on the forums as soon as I do!

Here she is in my driveway for the last time:

6F1lBj.jpg

Finally got her loaded up:

QxNk2B.jpg

guJs2y.jpg

O0Kgel.jpg

There's the lucky new owner on the left! He will be doing a build thread on this truck and once he does I will be linking it here so everything can follow.

Thanks everybody for all the support and I will be back with another project soon!

So, where's the new guy's input?

Sad day, thanks for the thread and stewardship!

Thank you for the kind words! It was a sad day indeed, but I lost time to work on it/use it and it was just sitting. It was time to pass it on to someone who will take the build to the next level!

So, where's the new guy's input?

He said he will be doing a writeup after he's done some work on it! I'm not even sure if he's made it back yet.

For @ferg & anyone curious, here is a more recent thread on this truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom