Texas Cruisers Caravan to HIH 8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't forget that KOA's have cabins. Every time I have ever stayed at a KOA, it's been a good experience. Clean showers, and clean cabins, and every cabin I've been in has had A/C and heat. I think the most expensive one I've ever stayed at was 60 something dollars. You just need to provide your own bedding, which we will all have with us anyway. It would look pretty funny to pull into a KOA with a trailer to stay in cabin, but I'm ok with looking weird!

As we get closer, we should also notate what beers everyone's bringing. Not to cross-wires. Might get there and between the 8 of us have nothing but Austin Beerworks and Deep Ellum :D

Good idea. Though no matter what I will bring plenty of the National Beer of Texas! And yes....they will be tall boys in the plastic 6 pack :beer:

As we get closer, we should also notate what beers everyone's bringing. Not to cross-wires. Might get there and between the 8 of us have nothing but Austin Beerworks and Deep Ellum :D

If any of you sonsofbitches bring an IPA...I will no longer associate myself with you ever again! :)

tmg-article_default_mobile;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

A look-in at the back of my cruiser on the way to HIH.

If any of you sonsofbitches bring an IPA...I will no longer associate myself with you ever again! :)
Not at that altitude. No thanks. I am kind chuckling at @atnolan94 idea of just bringing like 10 cases of Lone Star. "What other beer is there in the world?"

But no, I'll probably stick to light stuff. Maybe something dark for when the temp drops :D

We will go west on I40 into ABQ,Also will pick up @marcfj60 on the way if he so chooses, then we grab 25 north for just a bit, then its 550 all the way to silverton with an "oh crap" stop in Durango.

The Wal-Mart in Durango is right on Highway 550 as you come into town. I think I've had to make an "oh crap" stop there just about every time I drive through. It's convenient for snacks and potty breaks and has a plenty big parking lot if you're towing a trailer (me).

The Wal-Mart in Durango is right on Highway 550 as you come into town. I think I've had to make an "oh crap" stop there just about every time I drive through. It's convenient for snacks and potty breaks and has a plenty big parking lot if you're towing a trailer (me).

Then we can do a decent stop/rendezvous there before the final 45 mins to an hour into silverton on 550!

Deleted my weird double post.

Last edited:
Don't forget that KOA's have cabins. Every time I have ever stayed at a KOA, it's been a good experience. Clean showers, and clean cabins, and every cabin I've been in has had A/C and heat. I think the most expensive one I've ever stayed at was 60 something dollars. You just need to provide your own bedding, which we will all have with us anyway. It would look pretty funny to pull into a KOA with a trailer to stay in cabin, but I'm ok with looking weird!
There is a KOA in Bernalillo (just north of ABQ) which is the town right where HWY 550 and I-25 intersect. HWY 550 is the best route up to Durango/Silverton. If you're thinking of pushing to gain an hour on the last day, that's not a bad option. I don't know if they have cabins though. DO NOT stay at the KOA off I-40 in Albuquerque. That's a really bad part of town.

Looks like they do have some cabins at the N. Albuquerque/Bernalillo KOA:
Bernalillo, New Mexico Lodging | Albuquerque North / Bernalillo KOA

It's also right across the street from a company that I have done tons of business with (MCT Industries). They have some neat equipment in their yard that you can drool over. Their primary business is military aircraft maintenance stands but they also do a lot of custom trailers (my line of work).

Definitely would increase the haul on Day 1, but I'm totally fine with it. Because the day 2 drive will be way way way shorter. Might be tough on Kiddos though.

Good deal. Looks like the close at 7p during the week?
They do. It's in an industrial park kind of on the edge of town. It's not really a jumping place near a big population center. But a lot of people from Albuquerque will drive out there on the weekends to enjoy their beer garden. If you make it into town early enough it's a nice place to enjoy a cool NM evening with a cold brew.

Hey guys, if any of you have a Facebook, you can PM me and I will add you to a pretty neat group that I know @marcfj60 is a member of. We need to keep on the DL. PM me or maybe @marcfj60 if he will, to get an explaintion and invite to the group. Also, if you know anybody that would join and help, invite them as well.

I was planning on driving up in one long haul and finding a place in Silverton, but kinda liking the idea of rolling into town with a group. I’m in Greenville about an hour east of Dallas.

I was planning on driving up in one long haul and finding a place in Silverton, but kinda liking the idea of rolling into town with a group. I’m in Greenville about an hour east of Dallas.
That's a serious long haul. I've driven the ABQ - Greenville (Leonard) several times and I can barely make it in one day of exhaustion. You're going to add 5 hours to that drive from ABQ to Silverton leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom