Builds Shipwreck (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so the base plate... I'd forgotten that it was a quadrajet, vortec intake so it didn't work, so time to fix... first, the problems

problems solved

only one of these gaskets worked, I had to make the other (mostly because I didn't want to spend another hour driving to and back the auto parts store)

it runs a lot better.... hopefully it'll also find some fuel economy

Ooo. What's the towing capacity with that little pickup? How's the power?

Haven't heard much about real world experience with that new duramax motor, but there was a lot of buzz when it was announced. Interested to hear more about out.

Ooo. What's the towing capacity with that little pickup? How's the power?

Haven't heard much about real world experience with that new duramax motor, but there was a lot of buzz when it was announced. Interested to hear more about out.
I absolutely love it.

7500 lb is the towing capacity - which, incidentally, is just over the weight of my FJ40 on my trailer (6500 lbs).

Ever driven a car that isn't terribly fast, but it has this range where it's kind of surprising with the amount of power it has? that perfectly describes this. You won't win stop light battles, but if you need to get around a jerk - it will suck his doors off as you go by.

As for towing, it has a Jake brake (no kidding, a freaking jake brake). The trailer brake controller is built in. It also engine brakes (outside of the jake brake). which is taking a bit of getting used to - it seems like the transmission is indecisive but more it's just taking some getting used to. I know it's really stupid to get thrilled with that silly exhaust brake, but inside every adult male is the bit that loves the sound of an exhaust brake (aka jake brake)... and I have one in a small pickup.

Plus there's this, some guy in a F350 made a snide comment to me about my small diesel - to which I retorted "I don't need to compensate"... he laughed and said "oh that's cold." As I said, I really like this truck - it fits exactly what I need to do and gets amazing fuel economy while doing it. If I need a semi-truck, I'll buy one to add to my fleet. My plans for this are pretty simple. Add the Search and Rescue gear, a canopy, some drawers for gear, radios, a winch bumper, sliders, and a 2" level kit. Once I need tires I'll go to a 32" tall tire... I have the bad-ass 4x4, and this can tow it so I have the best of all worlds.

As for cost. I paid $3700 more for the diesel - it pays for itself in better mileage in 3 years.... since I keep my DD 10 years, it makes a lot of sense for my purposes. If they made a crate version of this motor, it'd be in my FJ40.... there's also this. GM has this deal where they do all your oil changes - and warranty the powertrain for however long the original owner owns the vehicle... the caveat is the GM dealer has to do all the service - which, as near as I can figure means they have to change the timing belt at 130,000 miles...

I've been eyeing up that Colorado. A buddy of mine just picked up the exact same truck (color, engine, and all). I have wanted a Tacoma for years but the towing capacity is just low enough that I'd be leery to haul an FJ40 on a trailer with it. The diesel Colorado seems to be a nice compromise between a (too light) Tacoma and a (too heavy) 2500-series pickup. I feel like either would pull the wife's horse around OK.

My biggest concern is that it's a GM vehicle - and my family has had absolutely terrible luck with GM cars over the years (Chevy Corsica, Chevy Impala, Oldsmobile Silhouette). That said, GM seems to make a decent truck, and I have no experience with those chassis.

My biggest complaint is I can't get the Colorado in stick with an engine that's up to snuff. The Jake Brake might make up for that though :hmm:

you have terrible choices in GM vehicles... sorry.... the Corsica was an adequate rental car (but not as good as the cavalier), the Silhouette... eww, just ewww...

this motor has been in Colorado trucks since the early 2000s - but just never here in the States.

heh - I fully admit to squealing like a girl the first time I used the jake brake.

I did, briefly, look at the Tacoma.... but it's $15,000 more the the Colorado - $15,000 buys a lot of forgiveness.

you have terrible choices in GM vehicles... sorry.... the Corsica was an adequate rental car (but not as good as the cavalier), the Silhouette... eww, just ewww...

this motor has been in Colorado trucks since the early 2000s - but just never here in the States.

heh - I fully admit to squealing like a girl the first time I used the jake brake.

I did, briefly, look at the Tacoma.... but it's $15,000 more the the Colorado - $15,000 buys a lot of forgiveness.

No Apologies necessary - weren't my vehicle choices. These were all my parents' cars that I grew up with, and they have a legendary knack for picking horrible cars. Prior to the GM run, it was a Dodge Daytona (ugly, but admittedly not bad for its time) and a Renault (Eagle) Medallion Station Wagon. After the Impala was a 1989 Plymouth (Mitsubishi) Cold DL (which was a free car given to us).

My dad was a big GM guy (after that run of horrible cars, he switched to Ford). Now he has a Fusion Hybrid which has been pretty solid. Mom has an Escape which literally breaks faster than they can fix it.

Seems like variants of the same GM V6 were shared between the Olds and Impala - they both blew head gaskets every 30-50k miles. The Corsica, for what it's worth, WAS a rental car prior to my dad's ownership - It's clutch crapped out at 75,000mi and he didn't feel like fixing it due to a half dozen other, smaller issues (including the headliner falling out of it).

I'm shocked to hear the Colorado was priced cheaper than a Tacoma. Most Tacoma's I've seen are in the ballpark of $30-$35k. I thought the diesel Colorados were weighing in closer to $40k.

It's funny you mention that - an American competitor to the Corsica was the Tempo, which was the absolute most hateful car I ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I used to work for Action Auto Rental (like Enterprise), who leased all of their cars from the big 3. They all, no matter who made them, had 4 doors, am/fm radio, auto, a/c and nothing else (not even floor mats). The Tempo - there were 20,000 in the fleet and all of them - every single one - blew the fuel pump at more then 12,000 miles but no more then 14,000 miles. None were fixed under warranty (12,000 mile). Ford told Action to pound sand when they were approached to pay for fixing - it was $500 to replace the pump (dealer only, required dropping the tank).... eventually they got Ford to repay them (with the promise they'd again order cars from them) then went 'close the business'* bankrupt a few months after that.

I'm comparing similar equipped trucks. You can buy a Colorado for 21k and get a diesel for somewhere south of 30k (because you must buy a 4 door).... that said, Mine is a Z71 and that's TRD level of equipment. I do lemon law and just got someone out of a Tacoma where he spent 55k for his (this isn't a comment on overall quality because everyone makes a lemon or two).

I paid 38k for mine (sticker was 43k) - outside of the Z71 package and diesel requirements it came with the dark grill and mud floor mats (think weather mat but not). I briefly thought of getting a ZR2 - which is in the 45k sticker/41k sale price (diesel) - but didn't really think it was good idea to buy really expensive shocks that I was going to replace when I lifted it - though e-lockers would be cool.

*Everyone who owned Action Auto Rental (and its subsidiaries) had careers at Agency Rent-a-car, so when they all decided to retire (they were all in their 80s) - no one wanted to buy (because Enterprise was eating their lunch), so they went bankrupt to close the business and get them out of the car and building leases... I've not many nice words to say about them because, while the end was fully paid because there was substantial equity, it put something like 12,000 people out of work with zero warning and no severance.... ever wonder why I'm an employment attorney? ;)

Do you have any pictures of your specialty power window install windshield wipers? How do you like them? My 1970 wipers died today and am thinking about installing them.

I think I'm about done.... I've never had such trouble with a 350, and I have a 6.0 LS motor. Hell, not bragging but my motors have gone to Bonneville and are raced all over the place - but this one... between failing distributor chips, oil issues, tbi issues, and now it's missing... again. not to mention it's never gotten the mpg it should. towel is about thrown in, I pull plugs tomorrow to try to figure out why it's missing when cold (it could be a misprogrammed computer), but if not.... I have just enough time to put the denali motor in it before summer season strikes. Part of me is considering swapping to an automatic - we will see. Benefit of the denali motor is I can easily plug my HPtuner into it and find then fix what ails it pretty easily.
this is how grasping at straws - I'm wondering if I somehow have a 5/7 swap cam.... but since I can't real-time program it; why I continue to fight when there's so much easier....
that said, I drove a perfect 78, stock FJ40 a couple days ago and it reaffirmed my love of the suspension under this one. Nailed it on that.
not just that but I'm getting a perverse joy out of watching what is probably the dumbest 4x4 show on the planet "Truck Night"... seeing people struggle with traction is fun - clearly they have no idea what the term instant center means.
the short of that is, engine troubles happen, but it's not the motor that makes me love this rig - it flat works for what I do with it.
still waiting for that day when I flip it over backwards.... and we won't mention the time when I talked a cop out of a 80 mph ticket. On 38 inch bias plies....

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are still struggling with the motor. Holley makes horrible EFI... Since you already have a 4 barrel manifold I still think you should go HEI and FiTech. I know the fuel system upgrade is expensive, but it is dead simple. You have all weekend to get it done so we can go wheeling next weekend :).

You mentioned in another thread that you planned to use MS3 on another vehicle, why not just toss MS2 into this? Then you can real time tune, use the same tuning software for your MS3 project, throw a wideband at it for tuning and simply swap to a cheap 1 wire when tuned, set your exact AFR's you want, and if it turns out the 350 has some sort of ghost, you can run the 6.0 on it (and retune using the same WB).

You questioned why I went with MS over stock when I had it - while I have had some of my own issues, it's always transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom